Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 02:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

A very large number of people attractive or not are incredibly shy and lacking in self confidence. Not all attractive people know or beleive that they are attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
This is a trend that I think I just noticed.

Most very attractive people (young adults in particular) seem to have a near-permanent stone-faced expression on their face in public. They either never say anything or never say much and come across to me as very-unfriendly.

Being a young adult straight single male, by default I've noticed this primarily with young women, but I've also noticed this amoung young guys too when I was bored.

Perhaps it is just my area.
The Greater Toronto Area is known for residents to be pretty cold or indifferent to strangers.
Perhaps I'm only noticing this because actractive people tend to draw more attention.

Why? Because they can. Good looking people can do whatever they want and get away with it.

Or maybe I'm on to something...
I have a step son who could have posed for hte Adonis and you wouldn't believe the crap he got away with because peole are of the opoinion if you are good looking you must be good. Nothing could be farther from the truth. (he has a personality defect that manifests as no conscience and is very conniving, but I have to admit funny and he can be nice but I'm rather biased )

Old 11-12-2008, 04:14 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
lol That is so freakin true. So much that I roll my eyes in annoyance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A very large number of people attractive or not are incredibly shy and lacking in self confidence. Not all attractive people know or beleive that they are attractive.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:13 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I totally understand the idea of mis-interpretting kindness...

BUT...

To me, saying "hello", a brief smile etc. to a stranger IS NOT (by itself)KINDNESS.

It's (should be) how normal people are supposed to react to familiar faces in public, provided they have not done anything to upset you.

I stand corrected. I should have used the term Politeness instead of Kindness.

BUT...

You're discussing two different things. Is it your opinion that people should smile and/or say "hello" to both familiar faces and strangers?

Could it be a generational thing and their looks are irrelavant to their behaviors? Have you experienced this with people who are attractive but are older in age?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:48 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Well, I have a theory that you can successfully apply when encountering anybody, from a fashion model to a CEO of a company. It's worked for me.

While you are respectful and polite, just remember these four simple words: You're Not All That.

Because the beautiful and the powerful have to go to the bathroom just like everybody else. They have to deal with problems and issues in their lives, too. The more you treat them like ordinary people, the better off you'll be

Old 11-13-2008, 08:30 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I stand corrected. I should have used the term Politeness instead of Kindness.

BUT...

You're discussing two different things. Is it your opinion that people should smile and/or say "hello" to both familiar faces and strangers?

Could it be a generational thing and their looks are irrelavant to their behaviors? Have you experienced this with people who are attractive but are older in age?
Well I wish this society I lived in was more concerned with politeness.
Toronto is pretty close to "anything goes" for politeness,
except that some Americans are impressed with how often we say "sorry"
which to say it for us is really just a mindless-reflex 90% of the time.

In Canada, or at least the Toronto area, the purpose of our quick "sorry" is to help others around us to quickly percieve what is happening around us and give us a good idea why. It's not usually a show of consideration, rather a way to rapidly express "hey, look here, I'm not trying to be rude, please don't get upset with me and hopefully we can go on ignoring each other shortly."

Is this different that what Americans think we mean when we say "sorry?"

No, strangers don't have to look friendly,
it'd be a nice touch, but not neccessary.
However I do find it bizarre that you can see someone here at least 10 times AND YOU KNOW THEY'VE SEEN YOU TOO (they've made brief eye contact several times with you) and they will always try to pretend that they don't know you, and that perhaps you even make them worried, rather than a simple smile or "hi" because it's nice to see someone familiar.

This is part of what I'm talking about, as in wishing politeness was more of a priority here.

Actually, it seems to usually be an issue when the other person perceives me as a peer.
People a lot older than me or a lot younger tend toact in the generic Torontonian-way.
But why would more guys around my age do this,
when I'm not around women they might be "competing for?"

Old 11-13-2008, 09:04 AM

129 posts, read 444,724 times
For what it's worth the 10ish girls in High School seem to age like all of us. At around the 20th class reunion the true personalities start to surface because they may not look so hot.
The high end guys sometimes define obeseity and try to maintain the HS football image by still trying to talk the talk.
So, when you find people who have to rely on their personality vs. the aging issue. Their former appearance and attitude seems to have been pretty funny.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:14 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,376,537 times
This reminds me of the Tom Hanks John Lovitz SNL skit where their standing on a street corner or in the mall trying to be players and getting no where, comments as they go by like - Didn't even make eye contact or my face is way to big for my body...lol

Old 11-13-2008, 11:28 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
This reminds me of the Tom Hanks John Lovitz SNL skit where their standing on a street corner or in the mall trying to be players and getting no where, comments as they go by like - Didn't even make eye contact or my face is way to big for my body...lol
LOL. "My eyebrows come together in a most unappealing way". Great skit.

I think its really the very attractive women who tend to act unfriendly. This is due in part to them always being bothered by men wherever they go. So as not to send any mixed signals, they just send no signals.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:34 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I rarely see very attractive women being bothered by men. Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
LOL.

I think its really the very attractive women who tend to act unfriendly. This is due in part to them always being bothered by men wherever they go. So as not to send any mixed signals, they just send no signals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships