Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:46 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't schizophrenia but one of the super obvious ones? Since it runs in families. You could self diagnose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Most disease are rare! BTW, the only way for diseases to be reported is if teh patient is diagnosed...many with mental health issues are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 09:49 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Wouldn't schizophrenia but one of the super obvious ones? Since it runs in families.

I don't know... I am not a psychiatrist...Hopefully families would know what to look for but it sure seems like many people fall through the cracks...

I think while it may be a hereditary gene, if you carry it it does not necessarily mean you will end up with schizophrenia...read that somewhere...

Old 11-17-2008, 09:55 PM

So that explains Cpg's condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I don't know... I am not a psychiatrist...Hopefully families would know what to look for but it sure seems like many people fall through the cracks...

I think while it may be a hereditary gene, if you carry it it does not necessarily mean you will end up with schizophrenia...read that somewhere...

Old 11-17-2008, 10:07 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I realize you were in college yourself but it sounds to me that your friend developed schizophrenia and was self-medicating because he didn't understand what was happenign to him. It happens a lot, it's very sad.
Wow, you are good! That's exactly right. That's what the psychiatrists found, too, and a few other people had suspected that before the official diagnosis. I'm surprised you could figure that out just from my post, lol, that's impressive.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
You are a disgrace for not helping him.

If he was such a good friend why did you let him go to waste?

I really dislike the selfish and arrogant attitude most college people have. It disgusts me.
Excuse me? haha, I'm not a mental health professional, we all tried to help him as much as we could, but you can't tell someone NOT to do any drugs or force them to live their life the way you think they should. I didn't even know the first time that he had been doing anything besides weed, and since I know weed isn't dangerous I wouldn't have said anything about it. By the time of his second break with reality, there was really little anyone else can do about it. Don't judge situations you don't understand.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:12 PM

What do you mean break with reality?

What do you mean psychiatrists? His mental health is private information it isn't privileged to you.

And yes weed is dangerous.

Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Excuse me? haha, I'm not a mental health professional, we all tried to help him as much as we could, but you can't tell someone NOT to do any drugs or force them to live their life the way you think they should. I didn't even know the first time that he had been doing anything besides weed, and since I know weed isn't dangerous I wouldn't have said anything about it. By the time of his second break with reality, there was really little anyone else can do about it. Don't judge situations you don't understand.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:15 PM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
One of the biggest was when my mom went back to Japan. I really wonder sometimes what Id be doing, or where Id be, or how much different life would be, if mom had stayed and helped raise us?

Old 11-17-2008, 10:17 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
One of the biggest was when my mom went back to Japan. I really wonder sometimes what Id be doing, or where Id be, or how much different life would be, if mom had stayed and helped raise us?
That is very sad..I am sorry.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
What do you mean break with reality?

What do you mean psychiatrists? His mental health is private information it isn't privileged to you.

And yes weed is dangerous.

Ugh.
No, weed is not dangerous. Weed is a naturally occurring plant and has no negative effects on the body. Smoking weed can cause lung damage, but weed itself is not harmful at all. Of course, smoking 5-6 times per day isn't going to do your mind any favors, but then again neither would drinking all day long either.

Do I have to define psychiatrist for you? It's a person who diagnoses mental disorders and deals with problems of the mind

And no it's not privileged information, it's given to the parents, and since my family was good friends with him, we found out through his parents what was going on. It's not like he didn't tell me himself, too, though.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,556 times
One outlook-changing event occurred while I was living in Russia around the time of the 1992 coup. I set off to work on an archaeological site in southern Russia. My Russian at the time was abysmal and I had all sorts of adventures while trying to find the site with a hand-drawn map a friend had given to me. I learned I could be quite scrappy when needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships