Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:32 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Wow. If what you are saying is true, the laws in England are really screwed up!

Here in the states, at least where I live, unless there was violence between the neighbors, they would have said this is a civil matter and you'd have to sue someone in court.
You would be amazed. This is another example of what they do.

A MUM claims she was arrested and had her DNA and fingerprints taken by police because she had a `golly' doll in the window of her home.
Amanda Schofield, 38, was quizzed by police on suspicion of racially-aggravated public order.
She claims the doll was put in the window by her young daughter, who found it in a bag of toys.
But police say she was arrested after a series of complaints of alleged racially-aggravated behaviour were made against her.
She was released without charge after being questioned.

The rest of the story.......
Woman arrested over 'golly' doll - News - Manchester Evening News

Old 01-01-2009, 06:46 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,377 times
Quote:
Wow. If what you are saying is true, the laws in England are really screwed up!

Here in the states, at least where I live, unless there was violence between the neighbors, they would have said this is a civil matter and you'd have to sue someone in court.
I see. So if a country has laws different to those in the States, those laws are 'screwed up'.
RA do you have a previous criminal record? Why did you not hang up the phone when you were told to by a police officer? And why would you chose to insult another police officer by telling him that his kind marry their cousins?
It sounds like you have a charming attitude, and it seems entirely plausible to me that the police came only to try and solve the dispute and it was more your attitude than anything else that got you arrested.
Also why would you be yelling at your neighbors when it was your dog who was on their property - and not for the first time by the sound of it?

Old 01-01-2009, 06:49 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I see. So if a country has laws different to those in the States, those laws are 'screwed up'.
RA do you have a previous criminal record? Why did you not hang up the phone when you were told to by a police officer? And why would you chose to insult another police officer by telling him that his kind marry their cousins?
It sounds like you have a charming attitude, and it seems entirely plausible to me that the police came only to try and solve the dispute and it was more your attitude than anything else that got you arrested.
Also why would you be yelling at your neighbors when it was your dog who was on their property - and not for the first time by the sound of it?
This is what I'm wondering. And btw, I used to live in London.

As for the doll, that is not unique to the UK. People in my state have been arrested for placing a Confederate flag in their window. Like the Golly doll, the flag couple had a record of previous racial disputes with their neighbors.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:51 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
You would be amazed. This is another example of what they do.

A MUM claims she was arrested and had her DNA and fingerprints taken by police because she had a `golly' doll in the window of her home.
Amanda Schofield, 38, was quizzed by police on suspicion of racially-aggravated public order.
She claims the doll was put in the window by her young daughter, who found it in a bag of toys.
But police say she was arrested after a series of complaints of alleged racially-aggravated behaviour were made against her.
She was released without charge after being questioned.

The rest of the story.......
Woman arrested over 'golly' doll - News - Manchester Evening News
I didn't know what a golly doll was until I googled it. I could see how someone could find that caricature offensive and I definitely wouldn't put one in my window. I'd expect to catch flack over something like that.

But to be arrested for having it in the window seems to be going a bit too far.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
To arrest someone based on a neighbor's property complaint? Yes it's screwed up.

The dog was on their property but they were trying to prevent her from fetching her dog.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
I didn't know what a golly doll was until I googled it. I could see how someone could find that caricature offensive and I definitely wouldn't put one in my window. I'd expect to catch flack over something like that.

Did you miss both the parts about the previous racially aggravated behavior and that this can also happen in the US? I do not think you should be making judgements on the British judicial system based on one person's post - especially when that person is clearly so biased against the country in general.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
To arrest someone based on a neighbor's property complaint? Yes it's screwed up.

The dog was on their property but they were trying to prevent her from fetching her dog.
Do you take everything written in these posts as absolute truth, or just in this instance?

Old 01-01-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Do you take everything written in these posts as absolute truth, or just in this instance?
I can only go based on what I read in front of me. If I'm going to start interjecting my opinions of someone that I don't know that would be kind of useless wouldn't it?

I don't know the posters past because I haven't read anything else of hers besides this thread.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,960 times
Quote:

I agree with you. I'm Black and not offended by anyone who choses to collect golly dolls, just don't call me a golly wog. If you want to have a confederate flag hanging from your apartment balcony go ahead and do so...these caricatures and symbols may have at one time being oppressive, but today they are just part of pop culture, the same way Che Guevara tie died posters and tshirts are dime a dozen but have no really meaning to those that own these items.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Did you miss both the parts about the previous racially aggravated behavior and that this can also happen in the US? I do not think you should be making judgements on the British judicial system based on one person's post - especially when that person is clearly so biased against the country in general.
I think that getting arrested for having a doll in your window is going a bit too far. Where would one draw the line?

I find it offensive as well, and I wouldn't put something like that in my window either, but to arrest someone for having it in their window is insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships