Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:15 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,269,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I forgot to answer that. Hmmm, all I need is for my husband to say lets do it and I'd be game. I doubt he would ever be game for something like this, though
That is all it would take for me as well...I could leave in a minute...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 09:19 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,258,192 times
My wife and I are planning to do just that in the next year or two at the most. We're both long-time campers and have a 5th wheel now, but we plan to get a bigger 5er and bigger truck, shut down the business, sell everything and hit the road.

Unfortunately I've lost most of my retirement assets already, but we figure we can work odd jobs here and there for a few months at a time, draw off my social security, and live cheaper than staying in our sticks & bricks home.

My late wife and I had plans for that before her death, but my plans died when she did. Then last year my wife and I were talking about moving closer to our children, who happen to be scattered all over the west, and we decided on the full-time RVer lifestyle. We're both very anxious to get started. I've just got to get my business affairs in order, then start selling off everything.

I have friends who hit the road for a year or two, then came back to their sticks & bricks home, but we plan to go whole hog.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:21 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
My wife and I are planning to do just that in the next year or two at the most. We're both long-time campers and have a 5th wheel now, but we plan to get a bigger 5er and bigger truck, shut down the business, sell everything and hit the road.

Unfortunately I've lost most of my retirement assets already, but we figure we can work odd jobs here and there for a few months at a time, draw off my social security, and live cheaper than staying in our sticks & bricks home.

My late wife and I had plans for that before her death, but my plans died when she did. Then last year my wife and I were talking about moving closer to our children, who happen to be scattered all over the west, and we decided on the full-time RVer lifestyle. We're both very anxious to get started. I've just got to get my business affairs in order, then start selling off everything.

I have friends who hit the road for a year or two, then came back to their sticks & bricks home, but we plan to go whole hog.
Ugh, I'm so jealous! That's awesome, though!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:21 PM

38 posts, read 126,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Anyone else around who feels like selling it all, quitting your job and taking off to another life? My husband and I talk about it all the time...just taking the kids out of school and living a slower paced life without all of the distractions...

What would have to happen for you to do it?

Living a slower paced life without all of the distractions...and what would have to happen for you to do it?

1) Slower paced life...where is the location going to be? Anything on your mind it? Is it in US or a foreign country?
2) Have you been there? have you live there?
3) After i found the location, i would spend a few weeks there to see whether I will want to live there in a long term or not.
4) As for the kids...how about the education system there? They are still young, I am sure they have not decided whether they want to live a slower paced life for the rest of their lives.

Just my 2 cents

Old 01-06-2009, 09:22 PM

I'm thinking more along the lines of Fiji...MRStewart is not a camper!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I'm thinking more along the lines of Fiji...MRStewart is not a camper!
I think Mr. Carlitasway would prefer Belize over a RV.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,435,606 times
We are actively exploring other countries, scouting out our retirement home. We are late 30s and have small children, but feel that once we find the right place, then it's on. The children will go to ex-pat schools if the local schools aren't up to our standards. My DH is one of those people who is capable of working from anywhere in the world. For me, it would be trickier, but that's okay. I like a challenge. I'm not necessarily looking to super-dooper simplify, but enjoy the often slower-paced life in other countries.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:33 PM

My favorite website is escapeartist.com...the dreams start flowing after spending a few minutes on there!!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:36 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,698,861 times
One of my well traveled old friends says there is no geographic cure. He believes if you are unhappy inside here you'll be unhappy inside there.

I agree to a certain extent. But I think life changes and evolves. What was important at 30, is less so at 40 and maybe irrelevant at 50.

I was a military brat so we constantly moved and in many ways it was good. I think I have a better grounding and realistic view of the world compared to others I know that never travel outside of the county they live in. So if you are a parent it is probably not a bad idea for the occasional move to another place. Meet new people, new environment, new things, new climate, so on. It's good for the kids to learn how to adapt.

In life there are dreamers, doers and complainers. I'm a doer but I need to doodle and dream a bit, learn about it then do it. I'm not a bungee jumper doer. I think things through and then I execute. I actually have a little book of different things I want to do in my life and I keep working away at them bit by bit. I have personal and professional goals and a few material good goals.

As an example, my next personal goal outside of my career or owning something is to drive across the Nullabor plain in Australia from Perth to Adelaide and back again. I started researching it last year and am now looking at what I want to see in Western Australia. I'll sketch out a rough guide of things to see and do. It will probably be in 2010 when I do this trip.

Right before I hit 30 I was on a long trip to New Zealand and I had an epiphany that life was short and I needed to make the best of everyday. I realized much of my 20's in one sense had been wasted listening to other people, doing what i thought other people thought I should be doing, etc. I learned a lot though and it made me a better person but I didn't want to go through the next decade with regrets. And I haven't. I've really done quite well so far.

If you are not happy, figure out why, decide what to do about it and then execute and make it happen.

I'm not going to be sitting there at 65 like my friend is wondering where I pissed my life away to.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:37 PM

7 posts, read 5,711 times
Been there, done that. I picked up and moved halfway across the country for a change of pace. The next adventure on the agenda is to join the Peace Corp at some point and serve in either the Pacific Rim or Latin America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships