Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:48 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
Italy is a matriarchy (although the mother is quite controlled by her sons).

Since my dad is Italian and my mom is Croatian, the characteristics of the typical Italian female weren't directly taught to me. I did, however, get to observe it my entire life in my family, specifically through my dad's sisters. Interestingly, none of my dad's brothers married Italian women, much to my Aunts' dismay.
Great post. I disagree with the matriarchy part to some extent, because most of the households I witnessed tend to be patriarchal. However, yes, the mother is controlled by her sons.

I see you have WV as your location. I know that there were a lot of coal miners that migrated to the OH/WV/PA from Italy.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:21 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yep, Italian and Greek traditional families have a lot of the same BS going on. Tell me about it.
I had a MIL of one of these nationalities I never met. Any MIL you haven't met is a good MIL! I've gotta admit she was the only sane person in the whole situation as she was kind of skeptical of our plans. Of course, at the time I resented her for being so presumptuous... It's not like other people don't get engaged on their 3rd weekend together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Better at what exactly ?
Check this out!

YouTube - Italy vs EU (funny)

Of course, I belong to this kind of Europe and even better! Some of Europe can be boring.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:32 PM

617 posts, read 2,072,531 times
Quote:
Great post. I disagree with the matriarchy part to some extent, because most of the households I witnessed tend to be patriarchal. However, yes, the mother is controlled by her sons.

I see you have WV as your location. I know that there were a lot of coal miners that migrated to the OH/WV/PA from Italy.
Italy is historically a matriarchy. I'm sure you can find online references to it.

My Croatian grandfather was a coal miner. My Italian grandfather owned a pool hall and a barber shop. Most of the coal miners were immigrants but not that many were Italian. The Italians were sometimes steel mill workers but quite a number of them started businesses or worked construction. At least, that's how it seemed to be here in the northern panhandle.

Times like this I wish my grandmother was still here so I could ask her for details.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:33 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,869,561 times
Italian women are like French women, they like to show off, but when it comes down to "serious" things (if you see what I mean ) there's nobody there.
Basically they are into marriage and kids (nowadays less into kids than the French gals though)...sexually most of them are VERY uptight, very different from the Spanish , slightly more "liberated" thanks to the post-Franco Movida ( but I've heard things are changing in Spain too, and not in the "good" direction...)

Old 01-14-2009, 05:43 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,582,770 times
Quote:
But then, I've seen Italian women run matriarchal households. They've got the short, squatty frame and sometimes even the short hair and booming voice to go with it. Their husbands seem to be too wimpy and seemed to die early...hmmm. To me, these ladies seemed kind of butch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Italian women are like French women, they like to show off, but when it comes down to "serious" things (if you see what I mean ) there's nobody there.
Basically they are into marriage and kids (nowadays less into kids than the French gals though)...sexually most of them are VERY uptight, very different from the Spanish , slightly more "liberated" thanks to the post-Franco Movida ( but I've heard things are changing in Spain too, and not in the "good" direction...)

Note to myself: If I ever remarry, don't marry another Italian.

I'm kidding, kind of.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:06 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,033 times
Quote:
I'm Italian and I could not be more opposite than what you described.......soooo off base in fact that i'm actually LMAO

Old 01-14-2009, 07:08 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,602,381 times
Quote:
the sexually uptight part is the most humorous. You obviously don't know many Italian women.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:11 AM

Look ppl.......as it is true that most Italian women share some common traits such as; stubborness and an extremely strong sense of pride.....possibly even a "tough girl" attitude...we are still individuals with individual traits and differences. Geeezzuss.......

Old 01-14-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
the sexually uptight part is the most humorous. You obviously don't know many Italian women.
LMAO i know!!! That's the part that stuck out the most as being crazy wrong.......

Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Look ppl.......as it is true that most Italian women share some common traits such as; stubborness and an extremely strong sense of pride.....possibly even a "tough girl" attitude...we are still individuals with individual traits and differences. Geeezzuss.......
I couldn't agree more...if you want a woman who is competent, capable and can take care of herself, then you will most likely find that in an Italian woman...but you are just as likely to find those traits in Irish, German, black, Scandanavian, Greek, American Indian, Spanish and many other nationalities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships