Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:48 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,354,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFOR View Post
You type in Napoleon complex and there is a lot of relations to short inferiority. "short persons complex". How's that.
I've learned that you don't have to be short to have a short persons complex.

People over 6' can be every bit as rude and short as someone who is under 5'7."

Old 11-19-2010, 01:12 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,301,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galagaone View Post
If your MIL can cook, that may more than make up for it. I grew up in an Italian family with 3 older sisters who were all SCORPIOS . You want to talk about cursed.. None of them can cook. So, now I pity their husbands.
Yikes! 3 in the same house? At the same time? My mom is not Italian, but she is a Scorpio and she embodies all of the good AND bad traits...I feel for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
I only know one and yes she is tough, but she's also selfish, demanding, thinks shes always right and is pretty high maintenance. How bad*ss are you really when you can't leave the house without perfect makeup and hair?

Even though she thinks so, I don't think it has anything to do with her bieng Italian, though.
I work with a few NYC Italian-American women, and they not only would love to be described that way, they would take it as a compliment. I will say, that those attitudes are not limited to Italian-American women at all, your comment just make me think of the ones I know.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:15 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,306,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
Yikes! 3 in the same house? At the same time? My mom is not Italian, but she is a Scorpio and she embodies all of the good AND bad traits...I feel for you.

I work with a few NYC Italian-American women, and they not only would love to be described that way, they would take it as a compliment. I will say, that those attitudes are not limited to Italian-American women at all, your comment just make me think of the ones I know.
Oh yeah, she thinks VERY highly of herself and only wants to surround herself with people who think she's as perfect as she thinks she is. That stopped being me when she made a couple really bad life decisions and severely disrepected one of my friends, so we parted ways.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:55 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,324,738 times
Hispanic women can be pretty tough too.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:30 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,216,958 times
This thread makes me think of Marissa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny LOL.

I think the "feisty Italian" stereotype is more cultural than ethnic. Particularly it's a phenomenon of the Northeastern U.S. (Philly, New Jersey, New York, ect.). However, if you spend time in that area I think you would notice that it's not only Italians who act that way.

I grew up in an area that is heavily Italian-American - probably the most after the Northeastern corridor. In fact I'm pretty sure Italians are the largest ethnic group in my hometown. Anyway, for the most part they did not act any different than anybody else. Except maybe for a few guys who based their personality on their ethnicity and wanted to act tough.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:05 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,275,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMike View Post
The vendettas demonstrated here against Italian women are sickening. Whether it be because of sour personal experiences or pure stupidity, there is never an excusable reason for generally portraying any ethnicity (especially females of that ethnicity) in the ways that some of these contributors have.The arbitrary description of Italian American immigration is inherently condescending and spiteful, thus making it worthless. Hatred teaches nothing of value, so you'll take nothing from this forum.

No matter the race, domestic hardship and opportunity in America has always been the main reason for immigration.

Fellow Italian Americans, don't exercise your freedom of speech so whimsically. Ladies, it may be cute that you're bossy and couldn't care less what others think, but it's not "in your blood". If it is, so is self restraint.

Tell that to Snookie.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:08 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,205,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Tell that to Snookie.
Well, I had to google for a bit of gossip, but according to this gossip column she's Chilean, not Italian.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:22 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,125,146 times
I knew it!

To the OP: pretty much, yeah we are

Old 11-23-2010, 02:43 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,082,104 times
They can be disarmed easily once you have a little experience.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:42 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,387,469 times
Generalisations of this nature make little sense. Perhaps Italian families are to some extent mother-dominated, but I don't know for sure, I'm not from Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships