Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:53 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,881,845 times

Advertisements

Skinny and short during HS .. never grew taller since 9th grade.. bleh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 03:54 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
OH GOD YES.

Especially in my elementary school years, I was hideous. Glasses, buck teeth, skinny as a rail, poofy red hair, ugh. Things got better in my teenage years, and when I grew out the bangs that my mother always had cut in my hair.

Now, if it's okay for me to say so, I'm not that bad looking. I certainly 'grew into' my features.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:19 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
Quote:
I was an ugly duckling as a child and growing up and i am still ugly as an adult. I am still waiting to be good looking but I see there is no hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
describes me exactly.
Ditto.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:20 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,881,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
OH GOD YES.

Especially in my elementary school years, I was hideous. Glasses, buck teeth, skinny as a rail, poofy red hair, ugh. Things got better in my teenage years, and when I grew out the bangs that my mother always had cut in my hair.

Now, if it's okay for me to say so, I'm not that bad looking. I certainly 'grew into' my features.
Absolutely okay

Old 05-03-2010, 01:54 PM

23 posts, read 34,237 times
Actually the opposite. I was told from as long as I could remember how cute and beautiful I was. It seemed to get me a lot of attention. I never really believed it and thought people were just being nice. I never thought much about it and tried real hard to be a good person with a good heart because there can be a downside when you get too much attention because of your looks. People, especially other girls tend to dislike you or judge you for that alone. They tend to expect you to be a snob or something. Having money on top of that doesn't make it any easier. Since I came from a poor area in Romania it was easier for me to relate to ordinary people anyway and I think I tried extra hard not to prejudge other people for looks or money.

I think people put far to much attention on these things that don't really prove who you are. I like an attractive man but i prefer if he doesn't know how attractive he is. But i would prefer an ugly good man over an attractive bad man any day.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:12 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
You rang?

I was as ugly as the northern end of a southbound mule all my life. Darn it! I was everyone's friend and no one's lover. I was the girl who stayed home every weekend with a book. I got the brains, but in the looks department I was as homely as it got.

Then I got old and a whole lot of women my age became grandmotherly and forgot all about looking their best. Voila, I became one hot tamale. Somehow, I became attractive. A little too late but better than never. I am quite OK for an old person and for the first time in my life, men are interested in me. Yes, I enjoy it.

But being ugly taught me a lot over the years. A relationship based solely on physical attraction is doomed. The hunk pursuing you isn't(most likely) still going to be a hunk 5 or 10 years down the road. Gravity, and the passing of time, does it's work on all of us.

I'm grateful. At long enough last, I got to experience what it's like to be wanted. But I have enough experience and perspective to put it in it's rightful place. I also know this time won't last forever. It's just temporary. An aberration, if you will.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:18 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I've yet to turn into a swan--but that's fine.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:03 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,707 times
I was never ugly but was relentlessly teased by a merciless bunch of bigoted kids in my school. Actually can't say they were bigoted - their parents were and I think they were emulating their folks. In any case, I was called "ugly" and a lot worse. I was fortunate enough to be in the class with the "smart kids" who were pretty much my only friends, and they protected me.

What was harder was we were so poor. It's hard being a teenager when all your friends have a lot of clothes, etc, and you're washing something every night in the sink and hanging it to dry.

I don't go to reunions or keep in touch, so I've no idea how they would react to me now. I haven't had any plastic surgery, but I turned out ok.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:25 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,051 times
As if middle school isn't hard enough, I got braces and glasses the summer between 5th and 6th grade.

Fortunately, I got my contacts and my braces removed the summer right before I started high school

I'm pretty certain that any pictures of myself from those years, I have successfully seeked and destroyed

Old 05-03-2010, 04:33 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
OH GOD YES.

I think us redheads have such a hard time, especially in the tween years. My horrible times were about age 11-14. Luckily, I got my braces at age 11 and the buck teeth were gone within about 6 months. Still had no clue how to dress or do my hair and my mom was worthless. By the end of 8th grade, I was starting to get cute and figuring things out on my own. By HS I was pretty cute, but still very self conscious and still picked on for being so fair skinned. It took me until I was right around 28 or so to really start feeling good about myself. Maybe that is because that was right around the time I discovered Accutane and took control of the acne that had been tormenting me since puberty. I'm happy with who I am now, inside and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships