Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 04:14 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,214,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
if someone you met had $100,000 in student loan debt and their degrees didn't provide much income would you still date them?
I would date him, but not marry him. But I wouldn't date him seriously unless he had a plan for paying off that debt. I wouldn't respect him if he was planning on defaulting on his loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 05:07 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,484,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Eh, what's the "real world"?
Some people love going to school and learning. The real world can be a drudgery of 9-5, soul sucking jobs.
That is true. If they are able to have a JOB and be supporting themselves while they are in school, they can stay in school as long as they like. But they cannot just take out loan after loan and/or live off mommy and daddy, etc. as full-time students indefinitely.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:10 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,151,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
That is true. If they are able to have a JOB and be supporting themselves while they are in school, they can stay in school as long as they like. But they cannot just take out loan after loan and/or live off mommy and daddy, etc. as full-time students indefinitely.
I agree with that, but that wasn't the scenario given here. I guess I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt

Old 02-14-2009, 05:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,777,324 times
Quote:
The problem with this is that tuition at the best private schools nowadays is in the $30,000-$40,000 range or even higher. In addition, it is HARDER for students at these schools to work while in school than it is for students at less prestigious universities.

Some of these schools are starting to waive tuition if the students come from lower income families...but again this is relying on their PARENT's income. If their parents had money and they did it on their own, it would be nearly impossible to not amass such huge debts.
Hopefully someone didn't attend one of those prestigious very expensive universities and then could work for little income. That would seem about as stupid as it gets. If you go in debt $40,000 a year for a university, certainly one should be able to study up on the incomes for their field of study.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I agree with that, but that wasn't the scenario given here. I guess I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt
I understand but honestly this person got multiple "degrees" (at least that was what YOU assumed/thought) and so they obviously took out more loans than necessary. If they can do it on their own dime, it's fine, but they shouldn't be taking out endless loans for more than one degree, unless of course one is a bachelor's and one is higher.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,777,324 times
Quote:
If their parents had a high income, it's not fair to be upset about the student loan debt because they wouldn't have been able to get financial aid due to their parent's income.

As long as they are working to pay it off and are making an effort to pay it off, that's fine. If they are just trying to put it off and ignoring it, that's a different story.
I would guess the parents had a reason not to waste their money sending a kid to a very expensive university if the career goals were set very low.

Someone for example who graduated from Yale, Harvard or some other costly university has no excuse not to have a very well paying job. Besides -- people with high income parents also do get scholarships to those places. I know of 2 physicians who just this past week spoke of scholarships their children received in order to go to a top-notch university.

With those kinds of degrees from those universities, one could have $100,000 in debt but will start off earning $100,000 to $200,000 a year and should be able to quickly pay off the loans. No one goes to Harvard to land a low wage job.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:35 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,151,138 times
Quote:
I understand but honestly this person got multiple "degrees" (at least that was what YOU assumed/thought) and so they obviously took out more loans than necessary. If they can do it on their own dime, it's fine, but they shouldn't be taking out endless loans for more than one degree, unless of course one is a bachelor's and one is higher.

I didn't assume. Read the first post. It says "degrees"....more than one.
And someone getting a masters could pretty easily get 100k in debt.
I've seen people get in debt over far worse things than a higher education....

Old 02-14-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:

I didn't assume. Read the first post. It says "degrees"....more than one.
And someone getting a masters could pretty easily get 100k in debt.
I've seen people get in debt over far worse things than a higher education....
Yes I understand. What I was writing about was your idea that "what if they just wanted to be a student" indefinitely. That's NOT OK to me.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:26 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,219,625 times
Quote:
Eh, what's the "real world"?
Some people love going to school and learning. The real world can be a drudgery of 9-5, soul sucking jobs.
Yeah, but those same people will be the first to complain when they amass a mountain of debt, and then complain that they can't make ends meet with the soul-sucking job. It's kind of a vicious cycle. People with any common sense will look at their means and choose a college they can afford to attend.

After all, even at 4.5%, a $100,000 10-year loan is $1,045 a month. That's the equivalent of a house payment in most markets, and that's insanity by just about anybody's standard. What's more, given how money troubles can affect the happiness of a marriage, that kind of crushing debt means the relationship starts out at a serious disadvantage, no matter what.

At the risk of taking this thread in a different direction, can somebody please explain to me why the cost of tuition has risen at three times the rate of inflation for the past thirty years?

Old 02-15-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
At the risk of taking this thread in a different direction, can somebody please explain to me why the cost of tuition has risen at three times the rate of inflation for the past thirty years?
Probably because, during that same 30-year period, a degree has become much more of necessity and they know they can get away with charging more for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships