Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 09:20 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,654,526 times

Advertisements

I'm single, attractive, 26, and don't have any kids. Maybe you particularly are attracting or only attracted to baby-daddy-hunters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 10:42 PM

84 posts, read 157,909 times
Pimpy... you haven't been to some Latin American countries. By 20 (not 25 or 23... exact 20) more than half of women have had one or two or many kids and one or two divorces.

Puerto Rico is 100,000X worse than what you say. If you don't get your love by 19 you are locked out.

Having said that, while I agree 20 or 21 is still too early to be having children (for the mental aspect of raising them)... I can see why some go for it in the mid to late 20s.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:23 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,036,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
Why don't people just do abortions? around here(scandinavia) just about everyone does unless they're 30+ and feel they're clock's tickin'. I think I know of 1 person below 30 who has a child.
As a man I have more respect for a young mother than a woman that uses abortion as birth control. "More respect" is a gross understatment.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:50 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,657,421 times
I agree but I do feel bad for the ladies sometimes as well. I love kids but it's just simply hard to be with a lady who has a kid, especially if she still keeps in contact with the father because then you have the "baby mama drama" and unfortunately you can be in the middle of it.

I dated a lady who had a baby once and I love the girl and we still keep in contact and I grown attached to the kid. Unfortunately, I am NOT ready to have a family and it's SO annoying having to hear her argue with the baby's daddy over the phone or in person (when I was dating her). I never got into it with the babies daddy but of course he was ridiculously dramatic and once told me to "take care of his daughter" and he "sent me his blessings". I CRACK up thinking about it now. AHAHA!

But yeah, it's unfortunate to see this apparent trend happen.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:31 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,329,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
So here is my question. Doesn't ANYONE wait to get MARRIED before they have babies anymore?
End rant.
Lately it's become popular for younger people to be anti-abortion. I dunno what kind of validation it gives them, but you sure never hear the end of it when they talk about their 'sacrifice' blah blah blah and then they end up being crappy moms anyway.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:14 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,360,498 times
Society and pop culture is pretty darned f*&$%^@ right now in terms of parenting...point in case, MTV's wonderful primetime crapshoots: "Teen Mom" and "Sixteen and Pregnant".

Dunno, but the whole parenting thing seems like it shouldn't be too hard to figure out: 1) don't do it until you're financially set, 2) don't do it until you're able to provide without any worries and mentally mature, 3) don't do it until you're set in stone with somebody who you KNOW is there for the long-haul and then some. All of the above rarely happens to anybody during their 20s, yet people do not realize any of that. Obviously it's easier said than done and I'm not trying to hurt anybody's feelings out there with this, but there are so many moronic girls(not women) running around with "I need to have a baby syndrome" despite having nowhere near the insight/forsight or overall means to care for the child in question. I know some of these girls who have kids with total @-holes just for the sake of doing so, cry and whine about it all, and then turn right around a year later and have yet another child to either the same idiot or yet another idiot and only compound their problems. Why do people do this to themselves? It's unbelieveable.

But I'm turning 25 and haven't had too much of a problem with meeting people without children, you just need to be active with a lot of hobbies and live near a large enough city or college town to find singles. But still though, I know that I've only got a small handfull of years left before this becomes an issue. I honestly don't think that I even want to have kids...I'm involved with education for a career and worry enough about other people's children to want any of my own, I enjoy my free time and really can't picture myself devoting 24/7 of my life to children without any breaks...and considering that I'm locked into SWPA, it's going to be an uphill battle to find somebody who's looking for the same type of lifestyle around here. I'd love to get married and all, however I can picture something of a nightmare situation developing around 33 or so with an unhappy wife who one day decides that she has to have a kid.....the whole "children" thing is such a sticky topic.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:38 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,678,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Lately it's become popular for younger people to be anti-abortion. I dunno what kind of validation it gives them, but you sure never hear the end of it when they talk about their 'sacrifice' blah blah blah and then they end up being crappy moms anyway.
It has nothing do with doing what's popular. Abortion is hardly an easy decision. I'm sure there are women out there who are staunchly pro-choice, but if they were actually confronted with that decision, they might not be able to go through with it. Think about the parents who find out their child could be born with a birth defect. They know how hard it'll be and I'm sure they contemplate abortion. But then when the moments comes, they just can't do it.

As for women who decide to have children and then go on and on about how much they've sacrificed and how hard they work, yeah it gets a little tiring. They act like they deserve an award. I have great respect for anyone who's a mother cause I know it's hard work. But I also know they don't deserve extra sympathy for doing something they knew would be hard work.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:37 AM

455 posts, read 1,501,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
Why don't people just do abortions? around here(scandinavia) just about everyone does unless they're 30+ and feel they're clock's tickin'. I think I know of 1 person below 30 who has a child.
Interesting... maybe Finland's the odd-ball out, but they're actually pretty strict with regards to abortion. They restrict it to certain situations: for those under 17 or over 40, preserving the physical/mental health of the mother, rape, the child would be handicapped, or if the woman already had 4 children. On top of that most cases require the approval of 2 physicians.

I'm not familiar with the laws in other Scandinavian countries, but Finland definitely is more strict.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:44 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,687,624 times
I hope all the single moms were able to provide a Merry Christmas to their children. I don't want to see children suffering for their parent's poor choices.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:01 AM

610 posts, read 1,298,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
Interesting... maybe Finland's the odd-ball out, but they're actually pretty strict with regards to abortion. They restrict it to certain situations: for those under 17 or over 40, preserving the physical/mental health of the mother, rape, the child would be handicapped, or if the woman already had 4 children. On top of that most cases require the approval of 2 physicians.

I'm not familiar with the laws in other Scandinavian countries, but Finland definitely is more strict.
Yes finland does stand out, in sweden and norway you can pretty much do it as long as you want to up until the 18th week or something like that. after 18 weeks you need to seek permission considering "special reasons" which almost always goes through.
denmark is a bit more strict, but if you want to there are friendly doctors from what I've heard. (this does not mean the butcher around the block but real professional clinics.)
Finland also differs from the other countries in a series of other ways for example liberal gun-laws like the US etc. Another example is trespassing, in finland somebody who trespasses into the home of another has no right of anything, and the inhabitant may pretty much kill the trespasser for whatever reason he/she sees fit. while in sweden you may hardly even take anything back if you risk hurting the thief...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships