Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:41 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,244,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
If she is afraid he will leave her if she has kids on her own, and will not have any, it's safe to say she wants to stay with him.
"Kids on her own"? Man, that's the most revealing thing she could possibly say.

If he's having to change diapers at 2 a.m., pay for daycare, watch the child while she goes out, then that's not having "kids on her own."

Kids are not potted plants that need occasional tending. They are a 24/7 commitment of love, attention, and money. Sounds as if your friend has no understanding of what raising kids entails. It also sounds as if her husband has a far better understanding of what raising kids entails, and has said, "No Thanks," by a visit to his urologist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 AM

27,391 posts, read 27,437,276 times
Sometimes you cant always change a person. I knew my first husband was a player when we got married, but was just young, naive, in love at any cost, and just wanted to be married. I thought marriage would change him. Wrong!
Ive changed my life for guys a few times before too, just to make them happy.....bad idea. Because when you do that, you are unhappy because youre too busy making sure they are happy. Then it doesnt work out.

So.....bottom line is, there might be a few things you can change in a person, but dont expect them to change some things too, just for you, and think they will be happy-go-lucky-la-la because it doesnt always work that way.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:49 AM

27,391 posts, read 27,437,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyBeing View Post
Me thinks we fear lonliness too much. When people are desperate for companionship, they compromise their core being. Thus, divorce and breakups and misery.

Very well said, I just mentioned something similar to that in my previous post. Kudos to you!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:21 AM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,232,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyBeing View Post
Me thinks we fear lonliness too much. When people are desperate for companionship, they compromise their core being. Thus, divorce and breakups and misery.
True. NPR had a show about domestic abuse. The expert was saying that some people are so afraid of the emotional pain of breaking up with their partner that they would rather endure the present physical and emotional abuse.

Not me though. I would rather be all alone and without a man in my life than to be in a compromised relationship.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:36 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,571,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
"Kids on her own"? Man, that's the most revealing thing she could possibly say.

If he's having to change diapers at 2 a.m., pay for daycare, watch the child while she goes out, then that's not having "kids on her own."

Kids are not potted plants that need occasional tending. They are a 24/7 commitment of love, attention, and money. Sounds as if your friend has no understanding of what raising kids entails. It also sounds as if her husband has a far better understanding of what raising kids entails, and has said, "No Thanks," by a visit to his urologist.
I think I should have clarified that they are NOT married. They have been dating for two years. They don't even live together. That's where the really kicks in. So when it was suggested that she could have kids on her own, they meant she could adopt or have IVF. She is putting that on hold to keep him, and he doesn't even want to move in with her.

She been pretty heavy on him the whole time about his alone time, always challenging him to show he cares. Now he has "betrayed" her by getting snipped without her input, but this was a decision he made long before she came along.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:39 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,800,801 times
Yeah in this case she has some issues. He needs to run!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:45 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,244,843 times
Quote:
I think I should have clarified that they are NOT married. They have been dating for two years. They don't even live together. That's where the really kicks in. So when it was suggested that she could have kids on her own, they meant she could adopt or have IVF. She is putting that on hold to keep him, and he doesn't even want to move in with her.

She been pretty heavy on him the whole time about his alone time, always challenging him to show he cares. Now he has "betrayed" her by getting snipped without her input, but this was a decision he made long before she came along.
Oh. For some reason I assumed they were married so, yeah, that changes the nature of my answer.

That friend of yours is pretty screwed up. She obviously feels the world revolves around her. The guy in this situation has definitely dodged a bullet.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:49 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,279,522 times
My father married a woman when I was 18 and my brother was 12. He made it abundantly clear he did not want anymore children (why mess with perfection?) and she said she understood this. As a matter of fact, this fact came up with me BEFORE and AFTER they were married. My step mother said she understood and was happy with this fact.

Well, 2 years into the marriage she was whining and moaning because my father did not want anymore children

Fast forward 18 years to their divorce proceedings...she claims he was cruel to her because he "withheld" children from her

Old 03-11-2009, 09:58 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,085,655 times
Quote:

Oh, well then this is a no-brainer! The guy needs to cease all contact with this broad because she's loony! It was bad enough thinking this was a married couple - her forcing her wants onto him after she already knew he didn't want kids. It makes it even more knowing that they aren't married and they don't even live in the same house!

He'll be just as loony as her if he hangs around. Why is he putting himself through this???

Old 03-11-2009, 10:14 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,662,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
"I can change that person over time." For some reason, women fall for this conceit more than men.
I agree. People can change, but only if they want to. Others can't make them change. It sounds like the woman in the original post thought she could change her husband's mind. Why women (and some men) enter into marriage thinking they'll be able to change the other person is beyond me. You must have a high opinion of yourself if you think you can accomplish that when so many before you have failed. If you see red flags or traits you don't like during the dating phase, either accept them or find someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships