Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 01:46 PM

291 posts, read 611,082 times

Advertisements

hi there
sorry to keep posting threads but i am just looking for some advice for future reference, if anyone can help me i would appreciate it.
Ok, well after getting to know someone that i am interested in i ask them if they are in a relationship. They usuallly reply with ''why do i ask''?
What is the right answer because i never know what to say and my mind goes blank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 01:59 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Just answer the question.

If she says it in a rude and cutting tone that means she isn't interested and you need to distance yourself.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:59 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,868,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew83 View Post
hi there
sorry to keep posting threads but i am just looking for some advice for future reference, if anyone can help me i would appreciate it.
Ok, well after getting to know someone that i am interested in i ask them if they are in a relationship. They usuallly reply with ''why do i ask''?
What is the right answer because i never know what to say and my mind goes blank?
Well, Andrew....if you open up a conversation with someone by asking them if they are in a relationship it can go several ways once they say "why do you ask". First if it is a woman you are asking this of, she may assume that your next move is going to be asking her out...so, if that is the case you say, "Well, I was just wondering what you were doing this weekend and if you are not busy, would you like to go out to dinner?" What's the worse thing she can say, "NO"....not a big deal. If she says NO, then you say "Well, maybe some other time".

If you are asking a guy this and you are not gay, and he says, "why do you ask"...then you can always tell the guy that you are having a problem trying to start a relationship with a lady and how would he handle it. You might be able to pick up some first hand hints on this from him.

If you are Gay and ask this question....then I would follow the same game plan as you would if your were asking a woman out....

I think you blank out because you are scared of the "NO" response and it really isn't a big deal. My present husband totally blew me off for our first date...we were suppose to see a movie then go out to eat and he fell asleep. When I called him to see where he was, he says to me, "Oh, I don't feel like going. Guess I will stay home and sleep tonight". I said to him, "OK, guess I will call some of the girls and go out dancing tonight"...He never blew me off for a date again.

Good Luck and whoever you are going to ask out, don't be shy! No isn't such a bad word.....there is always another person to ask out.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Yeah, the truth is always the best answer.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:05 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
hi there
or, you could word it "if you're not in a relationship, would you be interested in going out..." that way you'd get the answer to your question without the person possibly feeling pressured

Old 05-03-2009, 02:05 PM

291 posts, read 611,082 times
thanks, i blank out when asked this question because i feel like if i do not give a good enough response than she will not think that i am interested.
I usually give a generic answer like ''im just interested.''

Old 05-03-2009, 02:11 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
hi there
It's a matter of technique and personal charm.

Just ask her out

No, that's not it. Just ask her out in this fashion.

"Hey, we should grab a bite together, if your boyfriend doesn't mind" <you must use your eyes and facial expressions to the fullest>

The dialogue delivery is "vital" and it must be delivered at one stroke, without a pause.

You will have the answer you need.

A. "No, he's a cool guy" - bugger! The probability of this answer is 20% only

B. "Well, I just broke up" blah blah blah

C. "I don't have a real boyfriend"

You get the answer you need, comrade!

Old 05-03-2009, 02:14 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,013,217 times
Uhmm.. why would you open up a conversation with .. Are you in a relationship? I like the approach that Colossus typed.. make it inconspicous.. then they wont ask the.. Why do you ask question...

Old 05-03-2009, 02:14 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
Quote:
hi there
I would have asked her if her heart was taken. It's pretty straight forward and she will know what is on your mind instantly.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:31 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Uhmm.. why would you open up a conversation with .. Are you in a relationship? I like the approach that Colossus typed.. make it inconspicous.. then they wont ask the.. Why do you ask question...
Colossus's approach is a good one, but only if its smoothly delivered. And smooth delivery is something that is simply never in the cards for many guys asking a girl out . If its not smoothly delivered, it will come across as awkward at best, creepy at worst.

No offense to the OP, but I think if he was the type who could deliver lines like the ones Colossus wrote, he wouldn't be asking this question on an internet forum.

No, I think the other approach is the right one, with one change. I wouldn't ask "are you in a relationship?" It sounds kind of cheesy, and very technical. I'd ask instead, "are you seeing anyone right now?" If she says "Yes" you are done. If she says "No," clearly you've got an opening. If she says "yes, but its not serious," that also is an opening. It suggests that she is only casually dating and is open to seeing others (read: you) as well.

If she answers "why do you ask," I'd personally try to read how she says it. If its playful, she's probably into you and you can run with it a bit. If its sort of agitated, she may not be into you. If you aren't sure, Connecticut Pam's suggestion is a stellar one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships