Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:38 AM

25,157 posts, read 54,035,888 times

Advertisements

We wore slacks or jeans and casual wear at our school dances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You know, my son is only 16 and he had this figured out 2 years ago. We've take many lessons together, and he has been invited to every single prom and ring dance at school since then - because the girls know he can dance, and that he enjoys it as well. He has to turn them DOWN because I'll only let him go to one a year. (Darn tuxes are expensive!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 11:43 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,553,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
FYI: Date rape drugs went out of fashion back in 2003. Raves and what not are things of the past.
Artsyguy,

They are 100% still out there......just ask the girls at USC who went to a party a couple of weeks ago, drank some punch and woke up in a bedroom with no clothes on.....

My daughter has been instructed to ALWAYS take a drink with her when she is out dancing, even into the bathroom....

This thread has taken on a life of its own.....it seems that horny, insecure, feeling-sorry-for-himself, doesn't-know-how-to-talk-to-girls, Cy has 'left the building'...

Old 05-20-2009, 12:17 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,553,241 times
Cy, you're back! Slow down and quit being so defensive.....some of these people are playing with you, but others are genuinely trying to help you. You have become very uptight and defensive.....are you able to see the differences between the posts?

Read my post from way back...I'm a mom of a girl...stop trying to start out with an interrogating chat...(they get interrogated enough by their parents, professors, bosses, etc.)......they're there to dance and have fun......go up to one and ask her to dance......if she refuses, ask another.......you are there to have fun, too, right?

If they refuse, turn it around and say something to make them laugh...and be very aware of your facial expressions and body language when you are saying it....aw, come on, it's just a dance, I showered today, you're the prettiest girl here, my buddy over there in the red shirt bet me that you'd say no and I want to win a beer from him, I need to make use of my dance lessons, whatever......

If it is meant to work into a relationship, it'll take off......you can talk and get phone numbers later.....

Down deep, I just don't think you are the type for a one-night stand......

And quit complaining about throwing your hard-earned money away...all this demonstrates is that you are going for the wrong type of girl.....the right girl won't use up all of your money......she will have some of her own.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:08 PM

493 posts, read 667,822 times
Only occasionally will I buy drinks for women I meet in bars, and not because I'm just especially cheap or cant afford to. My theory is that if she won't give me the time of day if I try to make small talk while standing at the bar waiting for the bartender to take my order or make my drink, wasting $6-7 bucks on her won't change a damn thing. On the rare occasions I do make chitty chat with someone who piques my interest, I might be persuaded to grab a later round, but not while I'm initially standing there grabbing a round for myself. It's not unheard of for women to hang around and act cute hoping some dope she exchanges a couple of niceties with will foot the bill for her Lemon drop martini or whatever gag concoction she's after. I have to feel some genuine interest before I waste money on anyone, which usually means her being willing to interact with me for a somewhat extended period of time (relatively) without the immediate promise of getting something out of it.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:24 PM

286 posts, read 367,656 times
Someone asked, "What can you supposedly tell about some one by the way they dance?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
That he has guts. This is not to say that guys who don't dance are gutless, but it's pretty well known that a lot of guys refuse to dance. It takes courage for a guy to get over his self-consciousness and dance with a woman. Some of us really like a man who doesn't take himself too seriously and who tries to have fun. Also, a man who ventures out of his comfort zone demonstrates he might be open to other suggestions we might have.
That sounds similar to judging a woman as being "no fun" if she doesn't like to play Dungeons and Dragons, or whatever. The fact is, some people aren't into dancing, just as a preference, nothing to do with comfort zone. The guys who dance aren't necessarily venturing out of their comfort zone, many of them go out clubbing every weekend, as a routine.

Cy has already shown guts, venturing out of his comfort zone, etc., just by going to clubs and trying to chat with people.

Seriously, it seems like people are trying too hard to say there's something wrong with the guy. From the original post, it sounds like he's a friendly and sincere person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Do you know what women are looking for when they go to a nightclub? They are looking for fun. Fun with their friends, fun with new people, and fun hanging out. They are not typically looking to shuck their clothes with a stranger or hand out their phone number, either.
Then it sounds like Cy is the guy they're looking for. In his original post, he said he was looking for exactly the above, i.e., fun with friends and new people. Nothing about collecting phone numbers or getting naked. I don't see how you guys come up with that stuff. It's like you're itching to jump on the guy and accuse him of stuff he never did or said.

Cy, my suggestion is to continue to be a friendly and sincere person, which you seem to be, but don't count on bars and clubs as a place to find people who will appreciate it.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:51 PM

37,771 posts, read 46,255,501 times
Quote:
We wore slacks or jeans and casual wear at our school dances.
Jeans? At a PROM???? Yikes! No way.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:52 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,035,888 times
I said school dances. Hello.....open yo eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Jeans? At a PROM???? Yikes! No way.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:56 PM

37,771 posts, read 46,255,501 times
Quote:
I said school dances. Hello.....open yo eyes
I specifically referred to proms and ring dances - and those are "school dances". My eyes are droopy...but still open.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:20 PM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,262,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans63 View Post
Then it sounds like Cy is the guy they're looking for. In his original post, he said he was looking for exactly the above, i.e., fun with friends and new people. Nothing about collecting phone numbers or getting naked. I don't see how you guys come up with that stuff. It's like you're itching to jump on the guy and accuse him of stuff he never did or said.
Apparently you missed his post on page 8 where he discusses his frustrated sex drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanosphere View Post
I'm assuming you're a woman.

If you are, then you could never possibly understand.

You will never understand what it's like to be a slave to your sex drive, and the pain and frustration of having it unfulfilled
, despite the honest desire to meet and be close to someone.

You will never understand how empty, undesired, inadequate and inferior a guy feels who isn't wanted by any woman, even if she's just a "woman they barely know... in his bed."

If you're a man and you're forced to go without any physical affection for so long, you feel like you're not a man; that you're less than a man; that you're a nobody and a loser.

Is this so hard to grasp?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:16 AM

1,293 posts, read 3,194,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Apparently you missed his post on page 8 where he discusses his frustrated sex drive.
Well, I'll admit he's got a partial point, in other posts women mention needs and the like, but it's never even mentioned a man's should be met at all.
And of course as a sex you're the 'commodity' if you'll excuse the reduction, so the upper hand in initial stages is nearly always there.

But yes, my level of sympathy for him is very little considering the amount of 'woe is me' threads.

If he sucks showing confidence, or whatever, he can simply go and observe, and stating he's intelligent he can (despite the date book bashing) read what he can on the subject and perhaps glean some of what you can do, not taking it all word for word and do far better than any Monday-morning quarterbacking of his previous night's failed attempts at friendship and debauchery of the opposite sex could ever provide.

From the posts, regardless of how nice he is, he's expecting microwave dating, hoping he can pop a scenario into the forum have someone cook it for him, then serve it up later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships