Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:26 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,810,672 times

Advertisements

For some it may be a valid reason to cut someone out their life.
I'm an atheist and I can somewhat see myself dating a Christian as long as they didn't try to convert me, make me come to church if I didn't want to, etc.

I've been rejected by Christians because I'm an atheist so I'm sure it's possible for a Christian to be rejected by someone of a different faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 08:33 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,231,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Perhaps because they need churching up the most. They might behave even worse if they didnt go on a regular basis.
HA!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Some gay people have been bashed pretty badly both personally and publicly, by some religious groups. As with other subjects where only some members of some groups of people are involved, everyone becomes guilty by association. .
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
God is giving you a warning.

if you are born again Christian, you are not supposed to be unequally yoked to an unbeliever.

Here is another prime example of what I dislike about those who call themselves Christian.
"God is giving you a warning'. 'Unequally yoked'.

God is probably crying into his cornflakes reading posts like this.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:36 AM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,240,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
My potential significant other cut me off tonight because I attend church on a regular basis. We have been talking a while and have got along and I didn't consider this any big deal but appearantly this person did and I just never saw it. It was just all of a sudden "I think you are freakin' nuts". Anybody think this is a valid reason or is it just a copout?
The keyword here is potential. It doesn't sound like they've gone on any romantic dates yet. And it almost seems to me that it's an internet friendship where they've IM'ing and not even met in person yet. But whatever the case actually is, they were only in the getting to know each other phase and being religious was a dealbreaker for this other person.

And the O.P.'s location might be another factor as I find southerners to be more hardcore christians than up north.

And I would think that the O.P. should stick to trying to date someone that shares the same spiritual values. Especially if having a long term relationship is the final goal. And it's even more important if having and raising children is a future desire.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:55 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,201,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Christians like you are why I would never even contemplate a relationship with one.
And this is why Christians like me will continue to Pray for people like you.

hillman

Old 05-22-2009, 08:56 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,285,163 times
Let me add a few things.

First of all, this was not yet a romantic relationship. It was more of a friendship on it's way to becoming romantic. I mentioned church early on (about 2 months ago) and since I view religion as a personal choice it never really was an issue, so it came as a shock to me that it blew up last night. If me going to church was a dealbreaker, why wait this long to bring up the issue?

Second, it amazes me the small mindedness here as everyone seems to be lumping all people who go to church under the nutcase stereotype you see on TV. There are many reasons people go to church. I live in a small town in the south and here church is about the only thing to do for social interaction. If I quit going to church my social life would be out the window and I cannot make that sacrifice. As I said I believe religion is a personal thing and I respect the beliefs of the atheist though they may be different from mine, so I expect the same in return.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:02 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,231,851 times
Quote:
Second, it amazes me the small mindedness here as everyone seems to be lumping all people who go to church under the nutcase stereotype you see on TV. .
Or the 'nutcases' that we know personally, or the 'nutcases' posting here on this thread.
I don't think most religious people are 'nutcases', but you have only to read a couple of the posts on this thread to read the 'holier than thou', superiority complex some of these people have. It's extremely unattractive.

Having said that, it seems odd to me that this person would suddenly lose interest in you due to this if they knew all along you were a church go'er.
Maybe it became clear to them that you had some religious views which were not compatible with theirs? Or that they were worried you might put religion before them?
Or maybe they just found they weren't as interested in you as they first thought, and the religion excuse is just that... an excuse.

Sorry you've been disappointed - perhaps you can find someone within the church to date?

Old 05-22-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Let me add a few things.

First of all, this was not yet a romantic relationship. It was more of a friendship on it's way to becoming romantic. I mentioned church early on (about 2 months ago) and since I view religion as a personal choice it never really was an issue, so it came as a shock to me that it blew up last night. If me going to church was a dealbreaker, why wait this long to bring up the issue?

Second, it amazes me the small mindedness here as everyone seems to be lumping all people who go to church under the nutcase stereotype you see on TV. There are many reasons people go to church. I live in a small town in the south and here church is about the only thing to do for social interaction. If I quit going to church my social life would be out the window and I cannot make that sacrifice. As I said I believe religion is a personal thing and I respect the beliefs of the atheist though they may be different from mine, so I expect the same in return.
Is there anyone in your Church that you feel you can have a relationship with?

hillman

Old 05-22-2009, 09:04 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,157,081 times
Quote:
My potential significant other cut me off tonight because I attend church on a regular basis. We have been talking a while and have got along and I didn't consider this any big deal but appearantly this person did and I just never saw it. It was just all of a sudden "I think you are freakin' nuts". Anybody think this is a valid reason or is it just a copout?

A lot of people have very strong and passionate opinions against Religion and The Church. Just as many people have very strong and passionate opinions in favor of Religion and The Church.

Certainly the religious amongst us are not immune from being fiercely judgemental, selective and self-righteous regarding their chosen religion and church.

And you'll find some non-believers can be equally judgemental, selective and self-righteous in their opinions/feelings on religion and church.

Sounds like you don't have a good match with this person.

If you're commited to your religion and church, you may want to find someone who shares your delusio....I mean shares your commitment to religion and church.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:18 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,285,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Is there anyone in your Church that you feel you can have a relationship with?

hillman
I am 23 years old living in the rural South. There are slim pickings by my age as most are already married with kids. Plus most single church people I have met are so devoted they don't believe in movies, secular music, secular entertainment, drinking even in moderation is a sin, etc and that stuff is a deal breaker for me.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I am 23 years old living in the rural South. There are slim pickings by my age as most are already married with kids. Plus most single church people I have met are so devoted they don't believe in movies, secular music, secular entertainment, drinking even in moderation is a sin, etc and that stuff is a deal breaker for me.
Sounds like Pentacost Church I was going to.Loved the Worshiping with all my Heart but when they were putting me down for bringing my Boat to Church among few other things going on,that did I found a different Church.Thing is I wasn't going fishing I needed some work done on the Boat and was going to drop it off after Church.

hillman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships