Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 10:33 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,495,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Last fall, I tried to adopt an 11 year old dog from a TN rescue. On the phone, the lady was all friendly and finished each conversation with a "god bless". She also thought that I was sent by god to contact her rescue. Her voicemail message even had a "god bless" in it. Well then she asked for a picture of my license. I guess that she didn't like that I wasn't white. She stopped answering my calls. I ended up adopting a dog from NC instead.
Some of these people that go to church are the worst that you find

Sell crack on Saturday night, then go to church on Sunday morning and think everything is ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 10:36 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,558,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
My potential significant other cut me off tonight because I attend church on a regular basis. We have been talking a while and have got along and I didn't consider this any big deal but appearantly this person did and I just never saw it. It was just all of a sudden "I think you are freakin' nuts". Anybody think this is a valid reason or is it just a copout?
I think calling you "nuts" speaks volumes about the potential SO. But this person may have felt it was an issue that would eventually become a problem down the line. I personally wouldn't want to be with someone who went to church religiously, unless they accepted without a doubt that I am not a church goer. That's pretty hard to find.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:11 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,761,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
I probably would be considered one of the "nutty" Christians given my beliefs.

One thing with me, I witnessed to husband once or twice, and leave him alone.

The being unequally yoked is not painful in the disputes over religion but fact they do not share same world view or hold same values.

Anyhow religious beliefs aside, if you do not share same VALUES, the relationship isnt going to FLY.

Its best to move on.
I do not wish to paint people with a broad brush, nor do I wish to engage in a religious argument, but my experience is that values and religion are not easily seperated in a socially-oriented church environment. Peer pressure within this religious environment can lead to values or mores that I consider irrational, or "nutty".

I suppose my point is that I have seen a trend for Christian females in particular to become less and less tolerant of "normal" secular behavior as they grow older. I use the term "Nutty" not to describe religion or Christianity at-large, but rather the intolerant our-way-or-the-highway interpretation of religion that so many people in the deep south adhere to, some of my own family included.

Quote:
Where do you live? maybe I should move there. Born again Christians are RARE around here, but there are people who fall into severe legalisms etc.
Where I grew up (small town SC) is somewhat religious. Not in the born-again, fringe group sort of religious, but the mainstream Methodist/Baptist/Presbyterian religious. Where I live, by intent, is rather secular.

Last edited by le roi; 05-22-2009 at 11:27 AM..

Old 05-22-2009, 11:15 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,758,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
And this is why Christians like me will continue to Pray for people like you.

hillman
It's sweet that you want to sit and talk to yourself in honor of us, but I'm sure you have more gainful things to do than to pretend you have an imaginary friend that cares about humans.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
just thinking about this post, does anybody dump you cuz you go to church, would they dump tom cruise bek he goes to church, i doubt it. it probably you. true for me.
I would never start dating Tom Cruise in the first place, because he's a certifiable wackadoodle.

And he's too short for me.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:39 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,206,560 times
I think it's entirely reasonable. If you're in no way, shape, or form religious then it would grate on you to date someone who is. Especially if they are the proselytising type. But even if they aren't hardcore religous, it's a pretty fundamental philosophical split that will come up. I mean, if you love someone, and you believe that if they don't believe what you believe that they will burn in Hell fire for eternity, can you truthfully say you would not try to convert them? And that's where the problems begin.

Why not just date someone religious, if it's so important to you? I'd date a casually religious girl.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:02 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,881,967 times
It's definitely a deal breaker for a lot of people.

I'm an atheist. My DH is spiritual, but not religious. We have no issues over this. Had he been religious and church going, there is NO WAY that I would have pursued the relationship.

Assuming that the OP isn't going to change his beliefs anytime soon, the potential SO did him a favor by moving on now instead of after the relationship had moved to the next level.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:07 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,268,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I think it's entirely reasonable. If you're in no way, shape, or form religious then it would grate on you to date someone who is. Especially if they are the proselytising type. But even if they aren't hardcore religous, it's a pretty fundamental philosophical split that will come up. I mean, if you love someone, and you believe that if they don't believe what you believe that they will burn in Hell fire for eternity, can you truthfully say you would not try to convert them? And that's where the problems begin.

Why not just date someone religious, if it's so important to you? I'd date a casually religious girl.
Right, somebody casually religious would be right for me. That's difficult to find though at my age. I am only 23 but that is OLD in my area. I go to a church with about 3000 members and there are only TWO single girls in their twenties. One is not interested and the other is way too legalistic/fundamentalist for my taste. I believe in God but I also believe in enjoying life.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Right, somebody casually religious would be right for me. That's difficult to find though at my age. I am only 23 but that is OLD in my area. I go to a church with about 3000 members and there are only TWO single girls in their twenties. One is not interested and the other is way too legalistic/fundamentalist for my taste. I believe in God but I also believe in enjoying life.
Wait...I thought you were gay? Or am I confusing you with someone else...?

Old 05-22-2009, 12:32 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,550,005 times
It's really sad that this question couldn't be answered without a bunch of stones being thrown.

I personally don't give a rats behind what or if people believe.

But if it concerns someone I view as a possible SO it's very important that you either believe the same or can deal with the difference.

Me personally? I'm religious in my beliefs and could not under any circumstance be with some who didn't believe and constantly tried to tell me how stupid I am to believe in God. Or tried to prove me wrong on a constant basis.
I have more respect for myself than that.

Now I could be with a grownup non-believer that respected my right to believe as I do.

Bottom line....she did you a favor. Never settle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships