Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:42 PM
miu

17,771 posts, read 40,230,455 times

Advertisements

Here's another way of looking at it... who wants to compete with a church for their s/o's leisure time and attention? Especially if you are a non-believer. And if you work a regular Monday through Friday job, Sunday is half the weekend. So there goes half your possible weekend leisure time together.

Maybe you should find yourself a more relaxed christian church to go to. Or just move elsewhere. If you have spent all your life where you are now, it's definitely time to check out another part of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 02:43 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,156,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
That's nice. But if your entire respect for someone depends on their metaphysics, then that means you have an extraordinarily one-dimensional worldview, the opposite of the cosmopolitan one you suppose you have.

I mean, there are many different ways to find respect for others. Perhaps they're very good at their jobs. Perhaps they're kind and helpful to others. Perhaps they speak five languages and hold four degrees. Perhaps they've written a bestseller or two. Perhaps. Perhaps. Perhaps.

Yet, despite that person's manifest intellect, character and talents, the moment that same person happens to mention that he or she attends the Episcopal or Lutheran church down the road, you lose all respect for them. Heck, for the sake of argument, I'll pull a little sample of the people who attend my church:

-- A professor of medicine who was the very first person to discover the transmission link of AIDS between primates and humans. She is one of the most pre-eminent researchers in the field today, responsible for the preservation of who knows how many lives. She sits in the pew in front of me.

-- An acclaimed military historian whose fourth book is currently going to press.

-- A man who founded a medical charity that now operates clinicss in both Haiti and the Sudan. He takes time off from his medical evacuation company to work in both countries every year.

-- A construction billionaire whose largesse practically underwrote the arts in a mid-sized community. Well, he died last year, so I guess we can strike him off the list.

-- An artist whose work was recently exhibited in the MOMA and has authored two children's books, one of which was recently on the bestseller list for the category.

-- A World War II pilot who flew 35 P-38 missions over Europe, was shot down, evaded capture and made his way back to Allied territory, came home and became a surgical oncologist, known for his pioneering work in the field.

-- An attorney who has donated enormous amounts of his time fighting the execution orders of prisoners on death row.

And the list goes on. Yet these people, who are far more accomplished than you can ever hope to be, cannot possibly be worthy of your respect.

It seems to me that you have a really impoverished (And simplistic) way of looking at people.
That must be one hell of special, well-placed/located church.

You could barely get all those people together for a "Save The World From A Huge Asteroid Hurling Through Space and Headed Right For Earth " .....mission.

But they all congregate at your church! Wow! What are the odds!

What, no brain surgeons in attendence?

Old 05-22-2009, 02:44 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,241,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
What a very Christian way of putting it. Cpg, I love ya for the most part, but this is another example of my point.
I'm not crazy about the 'imaginary friend' comment as I do believe in God. But your response is worse.
See, I don't agree at all. I'm simply demonstrating the complete absurdity of her remark. After all, I number atheists and agnostics among my friends. But the fact that she lacks even fundamental respect for those with different metaphysical views says a lot about her.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
That must be one hell of special, well-placed/located church.

You could barely get all those people together for a "Save The World From A Huge Asteroid Hurling Through Space and Headed Right For Earth " .....mission.

But they all congregate at your church! Wow! What are the odds!

What, no brain surgeons in attendence?

It's a pretty great place. Not exactly the knuckle-dragging mouth breathers you seem to think we are. And yes, there are two neurosurgeons. Why?

However, what we have in physicians, authors, artists, and other notables, we lack in rocket scientists or physicists. So blowing the asteroid out of the sky wouldn't be within our circle of competency.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Here's another way of looking at it... who wants to compete with a church for their s/o's leisure time and attention? Especially if you are a non-believer. And if you work a regular Monday through Friday job, Sunday is half the weekend. So there goes half your possible weekend leisure time together.

Maybe you should find yourself a more relaxed christian church to go to. Or just move elsewhere. If you have spent all your life where you are now, it's definitely time to check out another part of the country.
Well, if you use that criterion, then nobody could ever have hobbies or friends once they're in a committed relationship. Church is 2.5 hours out of my week in you throw in Sunday school. A lot less than if I played golf, went fishing, or enjoyed woodworking.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:53 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,230,354 times
Quote:
See, I don't agree at all. I'm simply demonstrating the complete absurdity of her remark. After all, I number atheists and agnostics among my friends. But the fact that she lacks even fundamental respect for those with different metaphysical views says a lot about her.
I can see where you are coming from, I really can. But to point out how much more accomplished your illustrious friends are then she 'could ever hope to be' doesn't sound like pointing out the absurdity of remarks. It sounds like a scathing put down.
Anyway just mho, and I've read enough threads to know that when you have picked a position nothing will budge you from it, and that's fine. I'm the same way for the most part although it's something I'm trying to work on.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I can see where you are coming from, I really can. But to point out how much more accomplished your illustrious friends are then she 'could ever hope to be' doesn't sound like pointing out the absurdity of remarks. It sounds like a scathing put down.
Anyway just mho, and I've read enough threads to know that when you have picked a position nothing will budge you from it, and that's fine. I'm the same way for the most part although it's something I'm trying to work on.
Yeah, it's pretty scathing. Probably over the top. But the point remains the same. The poster in question cannot, will not, respect any person, despite their accomplishments, because of their religious faith. It's an attitude that really deserves a bit of derision.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
It's a pretty great place. Not exactly the knuckle-dragging mouth breathers you seem to think we are. And yes, there are two neurosurgeons. Why?

However, what we have in physicians, authors, artists, and other notables, we lack in rocket scientists or physicists. So blowing the asteroid out of the sky wouldn't be within our circle of competency.
Hmmmm...I don't recall refering to Christians as knuckle-draggers. But hey, that's okay.

I do find it interesting that you seem quite offended by the opinions of others.

Especially when so many christians spend their days denigrating, belittling, insulting and condemning everyone who doesn't believe as they do.

It's intersting how so many Christians are so easily insulted or offended when others do to them, as they routinely/daily do to others.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Hmmmm...I don't recall refering to Christians as knuckle-draggers. But hey, that's okay.

I do find it interesting that you seem quite offended by the opinions of others.

Especially when so many christians spend their days denigrating, belittling, insulting and condemning everyone who doesn't believe as they do.

It's intersting how so many Christians are so easily insulted or offended when others do to them, as they routinely/daily do to others.
Well, I'm only offended by the statement of people on this forum that Christians are not people worthy of their company. Seems pretty clearcut to me.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
It is a put-down. That's what Christians (and people of just about every other religion) do best. That's their whole M.O. for spreading their religion and recruiting.

Oh, they may choose and phrase their words a little differently and they may say it with a smile or a look of concern. But it's a put down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships