Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:29 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,902,601 times

Advertisements

[quote=Annie3;9169208]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-Ed View Post
-What is wrong with being on multiple sites? Some are free, some are pay, some have different ways of matching people. And I have seen guys with ads that are two or three years old. I don't think they are mentally unstable; not really sure how that would apply. It is hard to meet compatible people.
I think if a person has to be meeting people to date online for 3 years, it should be a tip off that they are just "dating", not actually looking for a relationship. If a person just wants to "hook up", to each their own I guess.
I wouldn't do it myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 11:01 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
This is what YOU think guys should not do. Not what women think.

It sounds like you have not had any success online,neither.....LOL.

Is it them or YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way, but if you are involved in the online dating scene at all, it might behoove you to pay attention to a few things in your ad :

1. Picture: this is the first impression you put out, very important!
- don't wear a hat and sunglasses in your picture (the ladies will wonder what you are hiding)
- Take a *nice* picture - look at the camera. Smile. Have someone take several pictures of you and pick a few. Brush your hair. You wouldn't believe how many terrible looking webcams pics are out there.
- Don't take your shirt off. Really
- Don't post pics of yourself with kids, whether they are your own, your niece/nephew, whatever. I think the idea here is to show that the guys are kid-friendly, but the effect is creepy.
- Only pose with your car/boat/motorcycle if you are looking for a lady who cares that you have a boat/motorcycle/nice car (i.e. she wants to know if you are loaded)

2. Please actually read the full profile of the woman you contact. We can tell.

3. Don't pick a name that has an obvious sex reference (cummin4ever, want269u, etc.). It's very off-putting. I personally won't respond to a guy with a nasty screen name. If you're just looking for a hookup, there are specific sites for that.

4. Spellcheck, spellcheck, spellcheck. Write complete sentences. Avoid text speak - "im here 4 n honist wommin !!!"

Ladies, have anything else to add?

Old 06-07-2009, 12:11 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
I like to add the following advice for women:

1. Dont post pics of you with someone else also in the photo. It always look lame when you post a pic of you and one or two friends in the same photo. Dont make the man have to guess which one is you. Also, dont post a pic that has been cropped so that we can only see your face (not body or at least upper shoulders) and most of all, dont post a pic that has been poorly cropped where the hand or arm of whoever is hugging you is still visible.

2. Dont describe yourself as "buxom" or "voluptuous" if you are fat. Fat means just that = FAT. If you have big giant breasts that also rests on a big giant stomach, you are not "voluptuous". If you shop at Lane Bryant you are not "buxom" you are plus sized.

3. Dont say that you "like to go hiking" or "enjoy the outdoors" if you really dont. If asked about your favorite hiking spot you should be able to name at least three if you really like hiking. Dont put this in your profile just because you "think" it will attract guys.

4. Dont mention anything about cats, kids, your past failed relationships or that you are "giving this online thing a shot" because you will come off as being desperate and pathetic.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:29 AM

346 posts, read 730,815 times
I'd like to add:
DON'T LIE about your age or height. It's extremely tacky and shows, right off the bat, that you can't be trusted. I don't mind a guy that's shorter, so why lie about it? Pathetic.
Adding to the shirtless thing, it's especially gross when guys have the shirtless pics from the neck down or shirtless pics they take of themselves in front of a mirror.
Also, be aware of what you are wearing in your pics. One guy sent me a wink, where he was wearing a shirt that said "Don't be a p*ssy, eat one. " Ok, classy guy, NEXT!

And to the guy who thinks a woman is unstable if she has her profile up for more than a year, that's totally ridiculous. Some of us have them up on multiple sites for years BECAUSE we are looking for the real thing. Do you know how hard it is to find a guy who wants a relationship? I'm actually the perfect catch, yet find it extremely hard to find a great, compatible guy. Part of this is because guys don't like tall girls, so it's hard for those of us over 5'6" to meet guys. I'm also very picky with grammar. Can't stand when a guy gets "your" and "you're" mixed up, for instance. I've overlooked guys for bad grammar alone.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:57 AM

670 posts, read 2,114,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I had to check your location first. You see this in OC, CA or FL?! Well, whichever it is, I'm still shocked.

Re the hunting pics, I've seen it in SoCal and Georgia and many other states (men often wink or email from outside my "search" zone, even from states across the country). The possum pic was from Alabama, I believe. Also saw guys in Florida holding alligators , and many "dancing with deer" shots from the South, Minnesota, Maine, basically all over.

Those are sickening! I mean, nobody expects you to be a virgin, but c'mon! Some are even cut from wedding pictures! I wonder if women do that... Kinda think they'd have better common sense about it.
The wedding pictures are the most laughable, especially because you figure the guy is a lot younger in those anyway. (Unless he got married a month ago, divorced, and is now on match.com)

Old 06-07-2009, 03:17 AM

1,293 posts, read 3,190,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eversearching View Post
I'd like to add:
DON'T LIE about your age or height. It's extremely tacky and shows, right off the bat, that you can't be trusted. I don't mind a guy that's shorter, so why lie about it? Pathetic.
Adding to the shirtless thing, it's especially gross when guys have the shirtless pics from the neck down or shirtless pics they take of themselves in front of a mirror.
Also, be aware of what you are wearing in your pics. One guy sent me a wink, where he was wearing a shirt that said "Don't be a p*ssy, eat one. " Ok, classy guy, NEXT!

And to the guy who thinks a woman is unstable if she has her profile up for more than a year, that's totally ridiculous. Some of us have them up on multiple sites for years BECAUSE we are looking for the real thing. Do you know how hard it is to find a guy who wants a relationship? I'm actually the perfect catch, yet find it extremely hard to find a great, compatible guy. Part of this is because guys don't like tall girls, so it's hard for those of us over 5'6" to meet guys. I'm also very picky with grammar. Can't stand when a guy gets "your" and "you're" mixed up, for instance. I've overlooked guys for bad grammar alone.

Don't know the guy's your after then, only managed to find 1 tall woman to date so far. My god was she hot, educated; it's preferable to me hot-factor wise, just doesn't happen a lot.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:22 AM

Seems to me one of the problems with finding people to date online, is that people aren't even given a fair chance. Someone sees or hears one thing that doesn't exactly appeal ie; your instead or you're, and they say NEXT. No wonder you're still alone. Mr or Ms Wonderful just passed you by and you didn't even know it. Too bad.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:37 AM

1,293 posts, read 3,190,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
Seems to me one of the problems with finding people to date online, is that people aren't even given a fair chance. Someone sees or hears one thing that doesn't exactly appeal ie; your instead or you're, and they say NEXT. No wonder you're still alone. Mr or Ms Wonderful just passed you by and you didn't even know it. Too bad.
For the most part, I'd say yes. As it's on the guy to initiate usually, I'd have to play the gender card on this one and go with usually the women being a bit too picky. All you've really got to go by online is fairly superficial, so I don't think it's shocking that the sex that puts more emphasis on this for themselves sets higher standards for those they would date given just those variables.

Best relationship I ever had was with a woman I met at a club that would have slapped me right in the trash bin online as she didn't want to date a smoker.

*shrug*

Old 06-07-2009, 08:51 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
This needs to be repeated and repeated with all CAPS!

See my thread about being unrealistic.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post

Old 06-07-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
For the most part, I'd say yes. As it's on the guy to initiate usually, I'd have to play the gender card on this one and go with usually the women being a bit too picky. All you've really got to go by online is fairly superficial, so I don't think it's shocking that the sex that puts more emphasis on this for themselves sets higher standards for those they would date given just those variables.

Best relationship I ever had was with a woman I met at a club that would have slapped me right in the trash bin online as she didn't want to date a smoker.

*shrug*
Unfortunately the majority of the sleazy people online that are looking more for sex than love, are men. And sorry, but one of my BIGGEST pet peeves is smoking too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships