Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:05 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,459,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, don't be disingenuous. It's not honest. Not much room for interpretation in your crack.
Don't pretend to be a saint, neither. You perfectly assumed that I hadn't had exposure to older people. My husband is 62.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 11:07 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,199,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Don't pretend to be a saint, neither. You perfectly assumed that I hadn't had exposure to older people. My husband is 62.
So? You're the one who began with the assumptions. And my assumption was based on your manifest lack of maturity.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
So? You're the one who began with the assumptions. And my assumption was based on your manifest lack of maturity.
Whatever.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Whatever.
Oh, gotta love the eye roll. Smugness personified.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:13 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,688,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
I whole heartedly agree that she should travel and educate herself. I never said she shouldn't. But she has to balance that with her responsibilities. I think it would be more reasonable to travel for a couple of months - which is what I advised earlier.
I believe all study-abroad programs are six months long or longer.

Quote:
I think the ideal outcome would be a compromise. Maybe the child can stay with the father for a few months and she can travel abroad. Or maybe they can plan a trip together when he is able to leave the country. When there is more than one person involved, there has to be compromises in order for anything to work.
A compromise is what I suggested in the first place. What I was opposed to is the black-and-white idea is that she should give it up and that's that.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Oh, gotta love the smarmy eye roll. Smugness personified.
she did it first... he did it to her... no, she did it! no, he did it!

(more emoticons for you to get enraged about).

Old 08-28-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
she did it first... he did it to her... no, she did it! no, he did it!

(more emoticons for you to get enraged about).
hahahaha....If you can't beat them, use emoticons.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:18 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,300,993 times
Quote:
You are trying to substitute something that would be of essence to you (the ability to write) with something less important (the ability to research a book). No research, not a big problem, since you still can write about something else. And I take that the OP's need for learning the language is more of providing means for her profession, not just a detour she could do without.

Maybe this thread will let you understand how important "immersion" is to learning a language, let alone becoming a writer?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/world...e-fluency.html

(By the way, have you noticed how little foreign nationals participate in C-D? And if they do, how poor is their skill in expressing complicated thoughts? I certainly would function on their level had I not been immersed for 14 years here. Still, I wouldn't dare to author in English.)
I understand the perspective of immersing yourself in another language and culture - I don't need your half witted logic to persuade me, thank you . Maybe this thread will teach you the importance of RESPONSIBILITY. Its not something you can pick up by traveling to another country, you just have to practice it.

People have many dreams and aspirations. I have a dream of traveling to Autralia, back packing in the outback, and volunteering at a koala rescue. Now, since I am single and I have money saved, with some planning this is doable. But if I had 4 kids, a mortgage, a husband and all my money was tied up in other obligations, then this dream might not be plausible. Having kids, getting married, buying a house are all choices. You don't have to have them. You can be single all your life if you wanted! When people make those choices they take on responsibility and obligation, period. And that's not a bad thing - just the fact of the matter.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:19 AM

157 posts, read 341,405 times
Quote:
The rationalization that the only way to learn French is to travel to France is very weak. Many people travel to other countries and never intuitively pick up the language. My Spanish teacher claimed she knew Spanish very well after being in Mexico for 3 years, but she was a poor speaker at best. Why she was allowed to teach Spanish, is beyond me!

You can learn a language without being immersed in the culture. That is a fact and I won't even try to debate you on that point. Sure, some people are able to travel for lengths of time to other countries and become immersed in the culture. But other people, such as the OP, are not in that position.
I must disagree with you here, because it has been a known fact that one can only really become fluent or improve their language skills drastically when immersed into the culture. i am also talikng forom previous experiences of learning other foreign languages!

Old 08-28-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I understand the perspective of immersing yourself in another language and culture - I don't need your half witted logic to persuade me, thank you . Maybe this thread will teach you the importance of RESPONSIBILITY. Its not something you can pick up by traveling to another country, you just have to practice it.
Mmmmm like our esteemed cpg would say, what smugness..... Did you try to open this thread? Where even cpg contributed, about how important immersion is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships