Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 02:51 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
I thought when people where going through the process of getting U.S. citizenship the weren't allowed to leave for extended periods of time? Could it be that's what he is doing?
They cannot be absent from the US for more than 180 continuous days. That's 6 months. What you do is, you stay abroad for 6 months, then you come back to the US for a week, then go back abroad, and that starts the 6-month period running again. The process of applying for the US citizenship now takes years, and folks travel abroad freely. I personally know many who do. Besides, if you actually marry someone who takes a job or goes to study abroad, then you get an exemption from the 180-day rule. No, when someone absolutely cannot leave the country due to some immigration issues, it's certainly because he is illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
This is off topic, and you're claiming clairvoyance (as usual). The OP asked if she should go. Period.
It's not off-topic. This is an examination of the importance of the parent-child relationship to a long-term stay abroad. And I am not "claiming clairvoyance". I know for a fact that the only absolute bar to leaving the country is being out of status -- because once you cross the border you won't get back in. It's as simple as that.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:57 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,742,020 times
It definitely is off topic because:

The OP would have had no need to post this thread had her boyfriend wanted to go with her. She did not write a post saying that he wants to go, but there may be immigration problems and could anyone advise her. She is asking about her relationship, and what we thought about her pursuing a dream for a year without him. Duh.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
It definitely is off topic because:

The OP would have had no need to post this thread had her boyfriend wanted to go with her. She did not write a post saying that he wants to go, but there may be immigration problems and could anyone advise her. She is asking about her relationship, and what we thought about her pursuing a dream for a year without him. Duh.
She received plenty of advice. That doesn't mean we should stop discussing related issues. This is the natural flow of any discussion. May I remind you, you yourself have engaged in banter on this thread (page 8, specifically) that neither constitutes advice nor advances the substance of the discussion, so your complaints regarding my comments being "off-topic" are a bit rich. A suggestion cropped up that she shouldn't go solely because it would deprive her boyfriend of the opportunity to be with his son. Naturally, given that the boyfriend is under perpetual threat of deportation, this begs the question of whether the OP is obligated to follow him should he get deported, in order that he not be deprived of the relationship with his son. Just because you don't want to consider a difficult issue that risks to expose a double standard doesn't mean it's "off-topic". In any event, if you feel that it's off-topic, kindly report it to the moderator. I'll accept his ruling on this.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:03 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
They cannot be absent from the US for more than 180 continuous days. That's 6 months. What you do is, you stay abroad for 6 months, then you come back to the US for a week, then go back abroad, and that starts the 6-month period running again. The process of applying for the US citizenship now takes years, and folks travel abroad freely. I personally know many who do. Besides, if you actually marry someone who takes a job or goes to study abroad, then you get an exemption from the 180-day rule. No, when someone absolutely cannot leave the country due to some immigration issues, it's certainly because he is illegal.
Well, that makes the OP doubly unwise if she got involved with an illegal.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, that makes the OP doubly unwise if she got involved with an illegal.
Maybe she didn't know? Maybe he lied about it? Who knows. At some point, we just have to trust our SO's, and sometimes, SO's take advantage of that trust. Still, do you think she should follow him if he gets deported?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:16 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,742,020 times
Quote:
She received plenty of advice. That doesn't mean we should stop discussing related issues. This is the natural flow of any discussion. May I remind you, you yourself have engaged in banter on this thread (page 8, specifically) that neither constitutes advice nor advances the substance of the discussion, so your complaints regarding my comments being "off-topic" are a bit rich.
Despite your habit and reputation to manipulate a subject for your great need to be "right" rather than helpful and which actually diminishes your desire to be right or helpful (because you do go off topic to the OP), I was still on topic in my responses to the OP albeit at the moment, I have gone astray.

Now I give you permission to have the last word - off topic, of course. Bonne chance et tout ca.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:27 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Maybe she didn't know? Maybe he lied about it? Who knows. At some point, we just have to trust our SO's, and sometimes, SO's take advantage of that trust. Still, do you think she should follow him if he gets deported?
A good question. At the risk of being Talmudic about the whole thing, if she truly were in the dark about his illegal act at the time she became pregnant, then he abrogates all rights in this situation. For she entered into the relationship with one understanding of his legality, and was presented with another once the relationship gained momentum.

If on the other hand, she had full knowledge of his illegal presence in the country and had a child with him anyway, then she is fully complicit in the situation. She understood what life would be like with an illegal immigrant and accepted that onus anyway.

Now, as far as the following him argument goes, if you had a child by a man who committed a crime and was sent to a Federal prison on the other side of the country to serve a long and indefinite term, would you follow him to live within close proximity to the place?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:15 PM

157 posts, read 341,286 times
Default clarifications

Ok I see this disscussion has gone into a weird direction. Maybe its my fault for not clarifying but the teaching position job is actually not permanent-its just during the 9 months abroad and it is part-time, to get some extra income!
Also the significant other is not illegal, he is legal but does not have citizenship so he cannot leave for more than 6 months!
By the way does anybody know about this 6 month thing, will they not let him back in the country if he leaves for more than 6 months?
thanks
keep the discussion going appreciate all your input!

Old 08-27-2009, 09:35 PM

985 posts, read 2,601,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katerinaver View Post
Ok I see this disscussion has gone into a weird direction. Maybe its my fault for not clarifying but the teaching position job is actually not permanent-its just during the 9 months abroad and it is part-time, to get some extra income!
Also the significant other is not illegal, he is legal but does not have citizenship so he cannot leave for more than 6 months!
By the way does anybody know about this 6 month thing, will they not let him back in the country if he leaves for more than 6 months?
thanks
keep the discussion going appreciate all your input!
It's already been explained. If he really is legal he could absolutely go with you.. here's what Redisca wrote "They cannot be absent from the US for more than 180 continuous days. That's 6 months. What you do is, you stay abroad for 6 months, then you come back to the US for a week, then go back abroad, and that starts the 6-month period running again. The process of applying for the US citizenship now takes years, and folks travel abroad freely. I personally know many who do. Besides, if you actually marry someone who takes a job or goes to study abroad, then you get an exemption from the 180-day rule. No, when someone absolutely cannot leave the country due to some immigration issues, it's certainly because he is illegal." You said you had some money saved up did you not? You could use it for him to go back to the U.S. for a week and then go back to France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships