Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:07 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times

Advertisements

you should have thought about this before you had a kid. Too late to live your dreams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Oh the scaredy foreign countries! Kids pick up the language in a matter of weeks. How much will it cost to teach a teenager a language, versus a toddler? And he's not in school yet Not like he's going to miss education.

Where are the supportive partners? She would be expected to support her partner pursuing his dream, right?? Even if it means him spending a year in Iraq, right?? She'll be back in a 1/26th of her life.
Nevermind that she is going to ruin her relationship with the kids father. I'm guessing if the father wanted to go overseas for a year and take the kid with him most would not be in favor, just a hunch.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:36 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,622 times
I think this sounds like a wonderfully enriching experience for both you and your son. If you can do it, I recommend you go for it. With email, skype, etc, it would be very easy for your baby's father to talk to your son every day if he wanted.

No doubt it will be hard, but I firmly believe that your life does not end when you have a child. Of course, some sacrifices have to be made, but a year in a foreign country will hardly be a bad thing for your son. Not only will you be able to strengthen your resume, language skills, and other things critical to getting into a career teaching a foreign language, but your son will have an opportunity to be exposed to new and different cultures.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:48 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times
I'm very big on people following their dreams -- but not in this case. You are a family now, and that takes priority. You don't know how your relationship will be with your SO when you come back. I believe you can find a way to do this same thing, somehow, in 15 years when your "kid" is in college. You also don't know if you will regret losing your family of three which you may not be able to get back, and may never find an equal replacement. That is a foundation, a true blessing of which I feel you don't realize the importance to you now but which you will later when you are more mature. Don't take it for granted.

The other is a desire, a dream. A foundation is stronger, lasting, made of human beings who care for each other. There is nothing better in this whole world. The other cannot duplicate this, and silly people don't discover this until it's too late.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:49 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
Enriching for a 3-year-old????? Oh, please. The kid won't even have vivid memories of it years down the road.

I took my son to the Yucatan when he was 3 and we spent time in the villages, visiting the Mayan ruins, etc. He doesn't even remember going there and probably wouldn't believe me if I didn't have the pics.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:06 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,622 times
Vacationing somewhere, and being somewhere for 9 months are two different things.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:15 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,549 times
^^^Ditto.

When I saw the blurb I was so ready to encourage you until you got to the part about your husband. That's pretty rough emotionally to be apart so long. I would advise leaving the baby so he still has his child with him as a comfort or waiting for a few years to do it together. Sorry, girl.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Vacationing somewhere, and being somewhere for 9 months are two different things.
Without frequent reinforcement (i.e., returning to the country), the experience won't take lasting hold. I know plenty of people who spent their early childhood in various places for a couple of years and don't remember much. Let's just call this what it is -- a great opportunity for the mum and the kid would simply be tagging along.

As another person commented, quality programs do NOT recommend taking along small children. That was my experience, as well, when I looked into grad. study elsewhere.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I'm very big on people following their dreams -- but not in this case. You are a family now, and that takes priority. You don't know how your relationship will be with your SO when you come back. I believe you can find a way to do this same thing, somehow, in 15 years when your "kid" is in college. You also don't know if you will regret losing your family of three which you may not be able to get back, and may never find an equal replacement. That is a foundation, a true blessing of which I feel you don't realize the importance to you now but which you will later when you are more mature. Don't take it for granted.

The other is a desire, a dream. A foundation is stronger, lasting, made of human beings who care for each other. There is nothing better in this whole world. The other cannot duplicate this, and silly people don't discover this until it's too late.
Amen, and well said!

Old 08-25-2009, 10:20 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I lived in another country when I was 3, I don't remember much about that age. I don't think the child will retain much. The father will surely remember that apart time though.

As much as I think people should live life to the fullest, travel, follow your dreams, etc., I don't think this is a good time for the OP to do that. She is really putting her relationship with the kids father in jeopardy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships