Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 03:01 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,263,716 times

Advertisements

I think there are a few folks who watched too many reruns of Dallas and Falcon Crest...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 03:01 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,860,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004
I have a question for you, in the history of divorce what percentage of men have lost SUBSTANTIAL ($1+ million) money vs women loosing money. I am going to toss out 100:1 men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
OK, why do you care if it is not YOUR money?
And women accuse men of not having any empathy.......

Old 10-10-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004
I have a question for you, in the history of divorce what percentage of men have lost SUBSTANTIAL ($1+ million) money vs women loosing money. I am going to toss out 100:1 men.

And women accuse men of not having any empathy.......
Not sure where you are going with that statement but this is truly one of the most simple and narrow minded threads I have come across in a long time...

Why would anyone care if a wealthy man marries? No one cares if a poor man marries

Old 10-10-2009, 03:04 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,560,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Not sure where you are going with that statement but this is truly one of the most simple and narrow minded threads I have come across in a long time...

Why would anyone care if a wealthy man marries? No one cares if a poor man marries
Because this is the internet and they will all be rich tycoons someday. Research

Old 10-10-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Because this is the internet and they will all be rich tycoons someday. Research
Oh, that's right...I stand corrected

Old 10-10-2009, 03:09 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,860,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Myth 2: Women are bigger spenders than men.
Fact: The percentage of compulsive shoppers amongst men is the same as for women -- under 6% -- and yet, talk about a shopaholic, and one would most likely picture a woman.
That's because the number for women missed a zero. Its actually 60%.

Besides, the male compulsive shoppers get it over quickly, blowing $100K+ on a boat or something else large and stupid. With female compulsive shoppers, its the death of a 1000 cuts, the interest rates on credit cards are much higher and all the junk has to be stored around the house, until the weather improves enough for a garage sale.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:14 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,205,220 times
Empathy? The OP is still dodging my questions regarding his original post. So, before I empathize maybe he can enlighten me.

My parents started out with absolutely nothing and they built a business worth millions together and worked side by side 50/50. . After having her 3rd kid she stayed home. A huge house my father wanted and she did all the painting and scraping and sanding and physical labor to redo this house while I was stuck with my little brother day in and day out and couldn't do things with my friends. All the while he was carrying on one of his affairs. So, just because a woman is at home doesn't mean she is not a contributing person in a marriage. When they split she could have put him in ruins and didn't because she wanted to ensure we children were taken care of - only to find out all the money that was invested and set aside for our college education was mortgaged by him. But they built their empire together. He is now on wife number three.

So, I ask once again, regarding your citations in your original post :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Yet there is no citation regarding how long they were married, if she is a contributor, and the big one - were they together before they became wealthy - and I say 'they' very firmly. A lot of women support their husbands while they expand their empire and a lot of men marry women who were wealthy before they wed as well.

Last edited by Thursday007; 10-10-2009 at 03:30 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 03:16 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,560,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
That's because the number for women missed a zero. Its actually 60%.

Besides, the male compulsive shoppers get it over quickly, blowing $100K+ on a boat or something else large and stupid. With female compulsive shoppers, its the death of a 1000 cuts, the interest rates on credit cards are much higher and all the junk has to be stored around the house, until the weather improves enough for a garage sale.
100k is a 100k.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:18 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,900,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
This is something I fundamentally don't understand. I have been going over the Forbes 400 and I have noticed that something like 97% are married, divorced or widowed and only 3% are single never married. As you do research on the people, person after person is involved in long drawn out, expensive divorce settlements. I'm not talking like boom bam were divorced but long drawn out affairs where the court gets involved and starts trying to audit how much money he has, disputes over possessions etc that get very bitter. Being as how common it is, I have to ask why do rich men get married at all?
Because they're optimists and dream of a happy-ever-after like a good many of average Joes and Josephinas?

Old 10-10-2009, 05:17 PM

136 posts, read 726,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Yet there is no citation regarding how long they were married, if she is a contributor, and the big one - were they together before they became wealthy - and I say 'they' very firmly. A lot of women support their husbands while they expand their empire and a lot of men marry women who were wealthy before they wed as well.
There is a difference between supporting someone who is making money and actually making the money. No one is saying that they aren't good wives, but why does that entitle them to massive amounts of money that there husbands made in business? This is my entire question, why would a man who has huge amounts of money get married if it means suddenly his wife is entitled to that money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships