Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 05:21 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,228,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
There is a difference between supporting someone who is making money and actually making the money. No one is saying that they aren't good wives, but why does that entitle them to massive amounts of money that there husbands made in business? This is my entire question, why would a man who has huge amounts of money get married if it means suddenly his wife is entitled to that money.
Apparently you didn't read my whole post nor did you understand my original post...don't bother getting up I'll show myself to the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 05:44 PM

40,976 posts, read 49,325,591 times
We have a guy friend who is fairly well off. He's close to 60 now and has been married 8 times. About every 2-3 years he writes current wife a big check and gets a divorce. His current wife is about 32, 6' tall and beautiful.

He is a control freak and enjoys a new trophy wife, kind of like getting a new car. The ladies enjoy the lifestyle and the nice check when they get a divorce.

They both have needs that are met with their arrangement. Personally, I would give up after wife number 3 but he enjoys the conquest. I can't see it being worth the hassle of the breakup.

After about age 40 a good guy is hard to find. I believe if I ever was a single again I would just kick back and enjoy the company of all the ladies.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:48 PM

40,976 posts, read 49,325,591 times
Quote:
There is a difference between supporting someone who is making money and actually making the money. No one is saying that they aren't good wives, but why does that entitle them to massive amounts of money that there husbands made in business? This is my entire question, why would a man who has huge amounts of money get married if it means suddenly his wife is entitled to that money.
Guys with massive amounts of money have very good lawyers and pre-nup agreements.Usually the trophy wife only gets a nice check not a bonanza.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:05 PM

136 posts, read 727,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Guys with massive amounts of money have very good lawyers and pre-nup agreements.Usually the trophy wife only gets a nice check not a bonanza.
That is a very good point that is probably true. Your posts were some of the most insightful yet. A lot of the guys must not have pre-nups because at the time they werent rich, then when they get a divorce once there rich they get taken to the cleaners.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:15 PM

6,776 posts, read 13,571,072 times
Quote:
That is a very good point that is probably true. Your posts were some of the most insightful yet. A lot of the guys must not have pre-nups because at the time they werent rich, then when they get a divorce once there rich they get taken to the cleaners.
Uhhh because if the wealth is amassed during marriage the wife is entitled to some of it, half in some states.

And the only post you found insightful is one that refers to "wife" as trophy wife/gold digger interchangeably? (snorts).

Old 10-10-2009, 06:32 PM

136 posts, read 727,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Uhhh because if the wealth is amassed during marriage the wife is entitled to some of it, half in some states.

And the only post you found insightful is one that refers to "wife" as trophy wife/gold digger interchangeably? (snorts).
Wow I wasn't expecting so many angry women on this thread. I'm not interested in arguing. I am looking for real insights as to the situation of what wealthy men think of in terms of marriage, and that is what the previous poster gave.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:38 PM

6,776 posts, read 13,571,072 times
Quote:
Wow I wasn't expecting so many angry women on this thread. I'm not interested in arguing. I am looking for real insights as to the situation of what wealthy men think of in terms of marriage, and that is what the previous poster gave.
it's funny that you completely disregarded all the posts that said they get married for the same reason as anyone else. Is that unfathomable to you? Any woman who marries a rich man is a gold-digger or a trophy wife? Puhleez.

I'm out. This conversation is moronic anyways.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:13 PM

691 posts, read 2,331,751 times
My friend is married to a rich guy, really rich, and he does nothing for himself. The home is taken care of entirely by her, she deals with all upkeep issues, cleaning, keeps the cars cleaned and maintained, organizes his vacations, their social life, his medical issues, his children, he tells her what to do, like if he wants a wine cooler in the family room, and she makes it happen. Anything he wants done, he tells her, she arranges it. And believe me, it is a full time job for her. And she has to maintain everything perfect, she needs to always look perfect, and of course, their marriage is "perfect" because he told her before they got married what he expected, and that if she was not happy, he did not want to hear about it, or deal with it, she could just leave, and he would find someone else who would be happy to be married to him.

She has not been able to work, because her job is making him happy, not an easy task. She can't go visit her children, because he expects her to meet his "needs" night and day. If he feels like treating her like crap, because he is in a bad mood, she better take it, and not mouth off to him. And don't even get me started about their sex life. He cheats on her, and she knows. He expects her to do what ever he wants, when he wants it, and forget about her.

Yeah, she drives around in a Mercedes, lives in a fancy house, goes on cruises all the time, and I guess she is happy. I don't know, she takes so many anti-depressants who wouldn't be happy...

I would rather be poor and working than live her life, any day.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:50 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,230,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
It used to be the norm - for men at least - but words got out. It doesn't work. Besides, the wealthy have found out that buying sex is a lot cheaper. However, they don't want to give their wealth to a distant relative.
It has never been the norm. I simply will not buy into the idea that men marry for sex. Surely most men are finer than that. Either way, the OP himself discredits your claim with his noting of the data listed in forbes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I think there are a few folks who watched too many reruns of Dallas and Falcon Crest...
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Because this is the internet and they will all be rich tycoons someday. Research
They're more prone to believe this when their younsters to boot. The OP is in for some of life's hard knock lessons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
That's because the number for women missed a zero. Its actually 60%.
This is a great point. Many have to lie to themselves for the sake of their argument.

Quote:
Besides, the male compulsive shoppers get it over quickly, blowing $100K+ on a boat or something else large and stupid. With female compulsive shoppers, its the death of a 1000 cuts, the interest rates on credit cards are much higher and all the junk has to be stored around the house, until the weather improves enough for a garage sale.
Well, the link I noted, in which the article was written by two men IIRC, mentions that guys carry more credit card debt compared to their female counter parts. It's only by a few thousand dollars, so that's on par with little gender differences. And they noted the stereotype of 'guys and their gadgets' as being true. These are high ticket items, but not necessarily boats. I'm thinking flat screen TV's, play stations, dvd players, etc. This isn't anything new.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:00 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,085,850 times
So what am I missing here? Seems to me it's all percentages. And sour grapes.

If I amassed 10M after expenses and I want a divorce, I would normally lose 5M to my SO. If I amassed an impressive fortune of 10K during my marriage and I choose to divorce, I'd plan on losing 5K. I'm thinking that 5K means as much to PoorME as 5M does to RichMe. In both cases, I would most likely be able to keep whatever I had/owned before going into the marriage.

When the long term marriage goes belly up, the most I should count on losing is half of what I own. A bitter pill to swallow but I knew the deal, at least in general terms, before I got married. I am half of a partnership. No one is happy about losing 1/2 of what they worked for but that's the price tag. When these marriages end it's also possible I would have to pay spousal support for a period of time. That ends, it's not forever. And it's the price I would pay for having a SAHSO with plenty of time to take care of our home and all of life's little details. I knew that going in too. No real surprises.

It happens to women just like it happens to men. I have a friend, female, who lost 250K to her EX. She says it was worth every penny. Yes, she now has to work longer and harder but that's what she expected, to lose 1/2 of what they had.

People are so bitter about money in divorce. I heard recently there are some folks who actually have a prenup kind of arrangement as a working document. As they go through life, everything is already agreed as to who gets what if they split. Interesting. Another concept is being embraced by some folks who agree before marriage that if either one cheats on the other, all they walk away with is their clothing. I wonder how that's working? Will be good reading down the line.

There are no surprises. You lose money, assets when a marriage is dissolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships