Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:41 AM

724 posts, read 1,687,950 times

Advertisements

So, I go into a local trendy sandwhich shop and this really cute girl who makes the sandwhiches as you watch says hi while I am being waited on by another shop employee. She says its been a while since I saw you in here and she starts talking and smiling. She made conversation the last time I was there also which was several months ago. I just wrote it up as her being friendly because I'm a customer. This was at about 7pm on New Year's Eve. We briefly discussed our New Year's plans but there were other people around and no shot at privacy so I wished her a happy new year's and waved buy. When I did that, she was actually standing behind the girl who made my sandwhich so it was kind of awkward as I included both in the conversation.

I know she is likely a super friendly girl, but the fact that she remembered me after at least 3 months was a huge surprise. I would really like to date this girl. She seems super down to earth and friendly. I estimate she is probably 4 years younger than me, though no way to really tell for sure. She seems very mature though. Also, there is always the extremely remote possibility that she is too young which would be incredibly embarassing. I don't think this is the case though. She seems clearly in her early to mid twenties.

If I go there again at a certain time there is a good shot I will see her, but if I do, how do I ask her out? How does one pull off the ask out where there is virtually no privacy and high potential for awkwardness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 03:22 AM

7,453 posts, read 13,446,115 times
You have a few options.......Say to her you want a word to her in private, whether that be outside in a backroom-wherever. If not that then, ask her when her next break in work is and meet her then and ask her. Or you could ask for her number as there is something you want to ask her. Make sure the ball is in your court and you have the control....which is why I advise not to hand her your business card or number.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:54 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,782,984 times
well, you're going to have to say something while you're across that counter, even if your goal is to meet her on her break.

my style has always been direct, where privacy is optional. Make sure your body language gives the impression that you know what you're doing, and put her on the spot with a very simple question. now that can backfire, but that's the fun part.

Last edited by le roi; 01-03-2011 at 05:27 AM..

Old 01-03-2011, 05:23 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,647,952 times
After she makes your next sandwich, take it and turn away as if to leave while surreptitiously inserting your manhood into the sandwich.

Then complain to her that the sandwich isn't done right...

"Hey! I said no mayo!"

Old 01-03-2011, 07:17 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,888,898 times
Just man up and ask her out. Right across the counter. In front of everybody. She'll dig it.

If she turns you down. Right across the counter. In front of everybody. You never stood a chance to begin with.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:40 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,984,238 times
Ask for her to make your sandwich. Then you can talk while she is making it for you. At the end of the line you can ask for her number on your receit.

I like Rance's thoughts. Just do it man. Ask her right there as you talk to her. I think she will be tickled pink to hear you ask her in front of her coworkers.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,729,902 times
Just leave it alone unless you see her out in public. You can get her fired for asking on the floor at some places. Also awkward for you if she is young and just not interested.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,417,008 times
I'd say = you must get tired of being around these sandwiches all day, want to go somewhere better for supper?.. If she says yeah the rest could be history.
However she may indeed be the friendly to every one type.
My Pharmacist is like that,when i come in she's smiling at me and everything is first name basis and very informal, problem is i'm a 63 year old balding fat guy and she's a mid 20's hot looking Asian cutie.. Hhhmm
Nah, no way, not a chance, she probably wouldnt like pizza and beer at the local sports bar.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:58 AM

116 posts, read 180,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
You have a few options.......Say to her you want a word to her in private, whether that be outside in a backroom-wherever. If not that then, ask her when her next break in work is and meet her then and ask her.
Whatever you do, don't do that. All you'll score is a reputation as the resident "creeper."

In this situation, using the right approach is essential. I say ask her out over the counter, and be nonchalant. My advice comes with a caveat: if she's not interested, you'll never go there again without all of the employees bursting into hysterical laughter as you exit. Personally, I'd rather have the sandwich.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:58 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,241,476 times
Okay. First thing's first. No stupid lines. If she's semi-hot, she gets those all day long.

Here's an idea. Go for your sandwich when things are kind of slow, say after the lunch rush when no other customers are there. Order your sandwich, then chit chat with her. If she keeps talking to you, then she wants to talk to you. If her eyes glaze over or she starts doing something more important such as counting the drink tops, then she's just been nice to you all these months.

But let's assume she's still talking to you. If that's the case, and you're getting prolonged eye contact, then look her in the eye and say, "Look, I know this is weird, and I never do this. But I'm enjoying my conversation with you. How 'bout a cup of coffee? Just one cup?"

There you go. Not dinner. Not a movie. Not a weekend in Vegas. Just twenty minutes with a cup of Joe. And if your meetup with her lasts longer than that, then you're probably on to something. It's just not that hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships