Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 03:54 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,872,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Why would this be an control issue?

It's an engagement ring. I'm not committing her to slavery.

I want to see her reaction and not expect it at all. That's all. The less she's involved the less likely she's expecting it. If she's expecting it, then there's really nothing in it for me. I never wanted to feel like I have to put the ring on her finger in somebody else's timeframe.
It's NOT a control issue, LOL - some people read all kinds of things into some posts - good grief.

Go for the surprise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 03:56 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,759,462 times
Quote:
Why would this be an control issue?

It's an engagement ring. I'm not committing her to slavery.

I want to see her reaction and not expect it at all. That's all. The less she's involved the less likely she's expecting it. If she's expecting it, then there's really nothing in it for me. I never wanted to feel like I have to put the ring on her finger in somebody else's timeframe.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Why the heck would this be a control issue......you are doing something wonderful for your lady.
Not everything is a power struggle with people.

Have fun with it all and I am sure she will be surprised and happy.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:57 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,008,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's NOT a control issue, LOL - some people read all kinds of things into some posts - good grief.

Go for the surprise!

Yeah, it's like people are looking for negativity in everything. All I wanna do it put a BIG smile on my girl's face!!

Old 10-20-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing. Why the heck would this be a control issue......you are doing something wonderful for your lady.
Not everything is a power struggle with people.

Have fun with it all and I am sure she will be surprised and happy.
Thanks. I'm going to do that- have fun with it, and she will love it!!

Old 10-20-2009, 04:10 PM

850 posts, read 1,548,772 times
Quote:
Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I'm trying to avoid her friends and sisters, because they will blow it. I'll probably try to get her politiking brother in law to find out. He's got the gift of gab and will least likely blow it. He's been a real good, middle of the road guy in this whole process.

I want as little input directly from her, because I feel like it's my symbol to her...as many of you said it's about the symbolism more than it is the symbol. So it may not be to her exact specifications, but I have a good idea of what kind of girl she is, as far as style and all that, because we have a similar approach to a lot of stuff (we're not flashy and don't like a lot of unwarranted attention, but at the same time classy). So I'll definitely be in the ball park.

The more input she gives, the less authentic the experience is for me. I don't want her to have the slightest idea that she's about to get it, so the less she's involved, the more likely she'll be surprised and the better the reaction.
2.5 Carats

Old 10-20-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
2.5 Carats
Yikes

That's a lot of love LOL

Old 10-20-2009, 04:38 PM

612 posts, read 1,846,109 times
IZthe411, why not propose to her at a Phillies game during the World Series? Nothing more surprising and spontaneous than that! 40,000 fans just watching plus god knows how many more if caught on TV... now THAT would be something she will remember forever.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,872,515 times
QUOTE=Johnny Bananas;11273913]IZthe411, why not propose to her at a Phillies game during the World Series? Nothing more surprising and spontaneous than that! 40,000 fans just watching plus god knows how many more if caught on TV... now THAT would be something she will remember forever.[/quote]

Only a guy would think that is a good idea

Old 10-20-2009, 04:50 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,759,462 times
Funny you should say that...My daughter was proposed to at the Yankees/ RedSox Game 6 of the World Series the year the Sox won.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:56 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,720,108 times
I would rather pick the ring or have a few choices, however, if she has a sister, and you are
close to her mother for the surprise have them come and help you after you do your few picks.
Say within a budget and pick either 3 or 4 and then ask for the help. You always could pick out the stone if you know round etc., then both go and do the design!

Last edited by maggiekate; 10-20-2009 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships