Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 06:43 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,652,355 times

Advertisements

Unless you have a vast difference in style, you should pick out the ring for her. If on the other hand you have a completely opposite idea about a ring style than her, then she should come with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,864,436 times
we stopped at a few stores in the mall one day and she pointed out "ooh that's so pretty" a few times
i took my cash, went to the store that didn't treat me like dirt because I was dressed in my mechanics uniform and bought one. i have bought ALL her jewelry there ever since, and actually before that I had bought her a couple pieces there. they know me by name, for a store in a mall, im pretty impressed by that

Old 10-20-2009, 06:58 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,750,559 times
Surprise her........my husband did and boy did he do great. I have never picked out a piece of jewelry for myself nor have ever asked for one and I have some really special jewelry and it means more to me that someone did that for me.

Be very careful who you tell though....my now sister in law ruined my surprise about my engagement ring...she actually drew a picture and told me how my husband ws going to propose...I have never forgotten that and it has been over 30 years. She does that with everyone and ruins a lot of surprises for people.

Best wishes!

Old 10-20-2009, 06:59 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,580,094 times
I'm going to agree with the poster who suggested giving something else as a token, and going ring-shopping together after the fact. Wearing a ring on your finger for the rest of your life is a big deal, and you must really like it, and it must be comfortable. I know a guy who made a cute ring out of braided wild grasses for the promise ring, there are lots of ideas out there. The proposal should be about what you say and feel, the ring isn't the main event. Good luck to you!

Old 10-20-2009, 01:40 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,265,203 times
Quote:
The more input she gives, the less authentic the experience is for me. I don't want her to have the slightest idea that she's about to get it, so the less she's involved, the more likely she'll be surprised and the better the reaction.
As much as you want the SURPRISE factor (for YOU) one would hope that you two have at least discussed the idea of marriage and that the proposal won't be coming out of left field. There is nothing wrong with looking through catalogs or window shopping at the mall to get a feel for what she likes before hand. It won't "ruin" anything, but I'm a bit worried that you see it that way...control issues?

Last edited by Ceece; 10-20-2009 at 01:58 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 01:43 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,795,101 times
Since you already understand her personal taste and have some idea of what kinds of things she likes, I'd say pick something and surprise her Odds are she'll love it just because it came from you and what it means about your intentions. Go for it!

Old 10-20-2009, 02:37 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,991,162 times
I was a jeweler for years. The surprise is fun - but I'd have tons of ladies tell me the "never really liked the ring". It was a good opp. to re-design.

My suggestion is buy a nice diamond and have it mounted in a solitaire - pop the question, surprise! Then take the ring back to your jeweler and let her pick out or design the ring, resetting the diamond.
Trust me - this never fails!

Old 10-20-2009, 03:47 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,006,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Surprise her........my husband did and boy did he do great. I have never picked out a piece of jewelry for myself nor have ever asked for one and I have some really special jewelry and it means more to me that someone did that for me.

Be very careful who you tell though....my now sister in law ruined my surprise about my engagement ring...she actually drew a picture and told me how my husband ws going to propose...I have never forgotten that and it has been over 30 years. She does that with everyone and ruins a lot of surprises for people.

Best wishes!
That sucks. I already plan to keep it tight lipped!

Old 10-20-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
As much as you want the SURPRISE factor (for YOU) one would hope that you two have at least discussed the idea of marriage and that the proposal won't be coming out of left field. There is nothing wrong with looking through catalogs or window shopping at the mall to get a feel for what she likes before hand. It won't "ruin" anything, but I'm a bit worried that you see it that way...control issues?
Why would this be an control issue?

It's an engagement ring. I'm not committing her to slavery.

I want to see her reaction and not expect it at all. That's all. The less she's involved the less likely she's expecting it. If she's expecting it, then there's really nothing in it for me. I never wanted to feel like I have to put the ring on her finger in somebody else's timeframe.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
I was a jeweler for years. The surprise is fun - but I'd have tons of ladies tell me the "never really liked the ring". It was a good opp. to re-design.

My suggestion is buy a nice diamond and have it mounted in a solitaire - pop the question, surprise! Then take the ring back to your jeweler and let her pick out or design the ring, resetting the diamond.
Trust me - this never fails!

That's an excellent idea!

But would that make it a more costlier pursuit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships