Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:42 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
One of my pals met a guy a few weeks back. He seems nice enough and they get along pretty well but he says he doesn't want any pets, ever. He doesn't hate animals, he's just not a pet person. She is and always has been. She is moving into a new home shortly and planned on getting a Golden Retriever or a Lab. They are both looking to settle down, so this may be a dealbreaker.

Would it be a deal breaker for you? Would you end it now and not waste any more time or would you keep going just to see what happens?
First of all, if she just met this guy "a few weeks back" she shouldnt even be considering or thinking of anything along the lines of him not wanting to ever have a pet. She definitely needs to clear up her thinking in that regard.

As far as me dating someone who didnt want pets ever. I wouldnt be concerned with it because we are just dating. If things got serious, then thats an issue that would be worked out at that time. But just dating? Waste of time, energy and thought to be worried about it, especially if they just met a few weeks back. Thats crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 06:52 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,504 times
I'm thinking she'll get more satisfaction, fun and loyalty from the Lab or the Golden than from the guy. It's going to be her home? Yeah, get the dog, dump the dude.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:10 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
It would be a deal-breaker for me. But since me and my hypothetical new friend have only known each other a few weeks, I wouldn't modify my current behavior to try to curry favor with him. If I had planned to get a dog, and I wanted a dog, I'd tell him I was getting a dog. If he wants to keep dating me, then we'll know how much smoke he was blowing. If not, good riddance.

She needs to be who she is. Being anything less would be a dishonest representation of herself that would ultimately only lead to heartache down the road. That's what dating is all about!

Old 10-19-2009, 07:17 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Dogs are a pretty good judge of character. I would have my (or someone's) dog check him out and if the dog didn't approve, I'd find someone else.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Bascially one partner does not have the right to impose responsibilty on another. if she wants pets then look elsewhere is what I say altho in do have pets. But my wife and I agreed.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:49 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
OMG! To me that would be like saying you couldn't breath or you could never drink water or walk....life in prison a bleak and dreary life of grey and black. Hold my head under water and choke the life out of me with no pets ug

Old 10-19-2009, 07:52 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Another love me, love my dogs person.

However if I didn't have a pet, I would be willing to negotiate and perhaps delay acquisition for a while. But I wouldn't agree to never. I would be reasonable.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:24 PM

136 posts, read 378,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
It would be a deal-breaker for me. But since me and my hypothetical new friend have only known each other a few weeks, I wouldn't modify my current behavior to try to curry favor with him. If I had planned to get a dog, and I wanted a dog, I'd tell him I was getting a dog. If he wants to keep dating me, then we'll know how much smoke he was blowing. If not, good riddance.

She needs to be who she is. Being anything less would be a dishonest representation of herself that would ultimately only lead to heartache down the road. That's what dating is all about!

that is a good one, another vote for the dog.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:09 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,615 times
I've posted this before but its worth posting again. If a woman can't accept this dude on the couch then she's not worth it...especially because you can clearly tell he ain't moving.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:19 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
That is the cutest cat I've seen in a long time!! You may want to put your dirty socks away before you shoot a pic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships