Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 02:53 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times

Advertisements

My 4legged buddies have 80 acres of mountain forest to run & explore to their hearts content. Outside that we are surrounded by BLM forest on 3 sides.

But they have never missed a meal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 02:56 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
One of my pals met a guy a few weeks back. He seems nice enough and they get along pretty well but he says he doesn't want any pets, ever. He doesn't hate animals, he's just not a pet person. She is and always has been. She is moving into a new home shortly and planned on getting a Golden Retriever or a Lab. They are both looking to settle down, so this may be a dealbreaker.

Would it be a deal breaker for you? Would you end it now and not waste any more time or would you keep going just to see what happens?
Well I have turned many pet haters into pet lovers by just having them be around a pet. It is impossible not to fall in love!

I just make sure to keep it extra clean but I like it that way. I have stock in lint rollers and resolve!

A house just feels empty to me without some little fur ball running around.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:57 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
My 4legged buddies have 80 acres of mountain forest to run & explore to their hearts content. Outside that we are surrounded by BLM forest on 3 sides.

But they have never missed a meal.

Can I come live with you?

Old 10-20-2009, 03:06 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Can I come live with you?
sure, darlin'.

One time a lost llama came up here, spittin'& sputterin', headed up the mountain...

Old 10-20-2009, 03:23 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
One of my pals met a guy a few weeks back. He seems nice enough and they get along pretty well but he says he doesn't want any pets, ever. He doesn't hate animals, he's just not a pet person. She is and always has been. She is moving into a new home shortly and planned on getting a Golden Retriever or a Lab. They are both looking to settle down, so this may be a dealbreaker.

Would it be a deal breaker for you? Would you end it now and not waste any more time or would you keep going just to see what happens?
Tell her to dump him and find a decent guy.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:35 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I happen to like animals, though I'm not willing to have sole responsibility for one. But I don't think I would get rid of a pet I had for a relationship--however, I might agree not to GET a pet if someone didn't like them...or had allergies.

I can't understand how his not being a pet person--and NOT hating animals--has anything to do with HER taking care of and having a pet. If it isn't his responsibility, why should he have an issue with it--unless he DOES hate animals.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:56 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I happen to like animals, though I'm not willing to have sole responsibility for one. But I don't think I would get rid of a pet I had for a relationship--however, I might agree not to GET a pet if someone didn't like them...or had allergies.

I can't understand how his not being a pet person--and NOT hating animals--has anything to do with HER taking care of and having a pet. If it isn't his responsibility, why should he have an issue with it--unless he DOES hate animals.
Some people might not like how animals smell, or they are used to a different level of cleanliness, or they simply do not like the attention of the particular animals. They might also not like the responsibility when it comes to spontaneous plans.

Maybe the guy enjoys being able to take a long weekend trip somewhere without having to pay for boarding or a pet sitter. That's our biggest deterrent to getting a pet right now.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:01 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
I think that any situation that results in someone being deprived of something they truly want in life is an incompatibility that is nearly impossible to overcome.

You can compromise on a lot of things: what colors to paint the place, what channel news to watch, where to relocate to for work and other trivial and not-so-trivial things but if one of the partners wants kids or animals and the other does not, you won't get over that the way you will the above things.

I'm not comparing pets to kids here. I'm just saying that there are things that one can get over but if you've always wanted a dog and now "can't" get one because you marry or move in with a non-pet person you will always have that hole in your heart and to me that's a serious incompatibility.

I understand that some people just don't like pets. That is their right but I'd really think long and hard before getting serious with them if you have your heart set on getting a pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships