Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:23 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,037,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I don't think hiding it is the answer. I just think there is more to a woman than the shape of her thighs, size of her ass, and size of her breasts!

What happened to all the other aspects of a human that make us.. well... HUMAN!

Our minds, problem solving skills, sense of humor, our souls, and pride.

On this, you have a good point, but, guys could say the same thing..AKA chipp-n-dales..

A bar i used to frequent would host both ladies nights and men's night earlier before the regular weekend events...I was surprised to see how many women would show up when the boys were on stage...even though i made it a point to show up just as the man show was ending..for obvious reasons..

Girls go nuts when they see a shirtless great looking guy..and while id thought i had heard it all in my days as a DJ,..i was floored lol.. regardless, this is natural as well..

When i used to DJ,..i saw pretty much everything where i worked.. There will always be the guys in the corner who cat call every time a good looking woman passes by..

There will also be women who will literally size a guy up..in front of many.. this is just how it goes...some of us have more controll over "the beast" within than others..

Remember that men are visual...even if this isn't an excuse for what some guys find as totally acceptable behavior...we love the look...that is just how we are..

Male or Female, looks are what initially attract...that is just part of being human as well...

I think a woman looks her best when some is exposed..but some is left to the mind...too much, or too little raises a flag..

Real men..and women don't just evaluate another based solely on looks..the other factors you cited are just as important..when getting to know someone..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 10:36 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,405,657 times
Quote:
I don't think hiding it is the answer. I just think there is more to a woman than the shape of her thighs, size of her ass, and size of her breasts!

What happened to all the other aspects of a human that make us.. well... HUMAN!

Our minds, problem solving skills, sense of humor, our souls, and pride.
Great thread. Some great insights and sentiments, here. IMO, the media, the clothing manufacturer's, places like Hooters, and yes Britney Spears, all appeal to the lowest common denominator, our basest instincts. Why? Because we all have them, we are all of us sexual, and sex at least on the most accessible level is more fun than most things are. And there is just so much profit in it! After so many years of this, now it is the standard, and we have a couple generations that grew up in this environment. The same can be said of our music, our movies, television, our news. With the risk of oversimplification, I believe that nearly all our ills as a society can be traced back to the profit factor. The girls you referrence are just victims. I congratulate you for having the brains and the pride in yourself to buck the trend. That's what they are lacking. It ain't easy to swim up river.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:30 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
For the Superbowl...It was a boob for three seconds...Even most kids have seen a boob before...The kids weren't the one's flipping out...

I'll put it like this. You're DICTATOR Wanneroo...If you go to the supermarket and see someone in slutty clothes...What should be the punishment? Who is going to enforce it? Hire more police which raises taxes?
No again you miss the point. It's not about a bureaucracy enforcing all of that, it is your own standards of time and place.

If you want to dress like a street ho, go for it, but that is exactly what you are going to be seen as.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:16 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,703,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think there has to be some kind of public standards
Quote:
No again you miss the point. It's not about a bureaucracy enforcing all of that, it is your own standards of time and place.
What point am I missing? If want a public standard, there must be enforcement.

Quote:
If you want to dress like a street ho, go for it, but that is exactly what you are going to be seen as.
That's what females are currently are doing...If you're not young and attractive, they could care less what the average Joe or Jane thinks about them...

Old 01-07-2010, 01:03 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,048,165 times
I applaud you for having this much awareness at such a young age. If you are able to shrug off the effect media has on your life, and life your life according to your own principles you will end up a much better, happier, more free person.

A good book that discusses this issue is "Reviving Ophelia".

I also invite you to critique the way todays media influences young men. What type of message does media send to young men about what type of person they should strive to be? Does this message help or harm young men?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:59 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
While I didn't read everything I've long known that younger women and girls are sluttier now than they used to be. They pride themselves on it. They want to be seen as being badass...or whatever...and are often the aggressors in relationships because they are trying to one-up the men.

At the same time younger men and boys are taking longer to mature, grow up, and become independent.

It's like a crazy, lopsided, roll reversal.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:31 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,031,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
While I didn't read everything I've long known that younger women and girls are sluttier now than they used to be. They pride themselves on it. They want to be seen as being badass...or whatever...and are often the aggressors in relationships because they are trying to one-up the men.

At the same time younger men and boys are taking longer to mature, grow up, and become independent.

It's like a crazy, lopsided, roll reversal.
There is so much truth to this statement!

I have witnessed all of this and more all throughout high school and into college. Sometimes I wonder if I'M the weird one. It seems like so many girls are striving for this supposed ideal instead of trying to be what their ideal is, if that makes any sense. I am especially put off by the unabashed promiscuity that streaks through many of my peers. While I'm sure there are some girls out there who just really, really enjoy casual sex, I doubt that's the main reason most girls do what they do. I find it troubling that some people associate others being sexually attracted to them as a sort of self-esteem and value qualifier. Some girls have been misled to believe that their worth comes from their looks and their sexuality is their most powerful tool. Ergo, they become superficial and looks obsessed.

Furthermore, I do believe that some girls proudly take on the title of "****" because they're trying to prove something. Perhaps they're trying to declare that they can have sex like a guy (emotionless and without any repercussions). Perhaps they're trying to show that they're in control of their lives. Maybe they're trying to show how "fun and laid back" they are as opposed to those uptight girls who only have sex within relationships and with guys that genuinely like them.

Who knows?

What I do know is this: Anytime anyone solely puts their efforts, self-worth, and power into looks, it will ultimately all disintegrate because not only are looks not forever, but beautiful girls and handsome men are replaceable. There is always someone prettier, younger, and fitter waiting on the side. When you can be replaced, you're dispensable. This is why qualities that just don't skim the surface are so crucial. They are what separates a person from all the other attractive faces and sexy bodies. I don't think the importance of those qualities are known to many of my peers. It's all about image, regardless of whether it's all a crock of $hit or genuine.

And anyone who prides themselves solely in their looks and is vain to the ninth degree typically has low self-esteem because they have the constant fear of either something happening to his/her looks (which is inevitable - it's called growing older) or a hotter person coming around and taking over his/her glory (and there's always a hotter person). Don't get me wrong - looks are important (this is coming from a girl who most would probably classify as high maintenance in terms of grooming and etc.). However, they are not the most important thing. There has to be more.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:33 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Who knows?
I think it is bad parenting, plain and simple.

Although I will admit that even good parents can fail in this effort, if they put their children in a situation surrounded by low-class peers. You need an entire community of good parents, not just an island here and there.

Bad parenting is the root of the other symptoms: girls not knowing the value of sex, misunderstanding what a good man is, misunderstanding what a good man wants, looking towards TV sluts as role models, looking toward music sluts as role models.. the list is long, I am sure.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:41 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,300,518 times
Quote:

I am talking about women working at hooters who wear it like a badge,

or women who spend excessive amount of time and money getting hair extensions and spray on tans,

women who get all of their confidence from what men think of them,

women who disfigure their bodies with cosmetic surgery.
These factors alone does not make any woman a s l ut. Attention-seeking, sure I can buy that. That in of itself does not a s l u t make.

No one has to dress the way we want them to dress. Where do we draw the line on conservative? A buttoned-up shirt and a skirt down to one's ankles? The great thing about this country is letting people dress the way they want.

Who is to say what is excessive? If a woman works or doesn't work all week then goes to the beauty salon to get her hair done which may take a few hours, why is that upsetting you? I don't know how long tanning takes because I don't do it, but someone may consider it downtime to relax and unwind.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:43 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
The issue is you live in Miami. Hispanic influence is high and Hispanic females are not afraid to show of their bodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships