Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:43 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times

Advertisements

Being in the bible belt, I really dont see it so much. Sure occasionally there are a few girls dressed slutty and they usually get snide remarks or dissaproving glances.

I blame the consumer. Dont buy those clothes for your kids. Restrict exposure to the media glorifying the slutty role models. I also live near a few different Minnonite communities so I regularly see beautiful little barefoot girls with homemade dresses and bonnets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:53 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,912,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
you worked as a stripper in Miami, and the women around you were slutty?

I am shocked!

I was a travelling dancer.. not in Miami. The women I worked around all have their own stories. Some were immigrants from Eastern Europe ans South America, some were single mothers, some even had degrees (teachers) and were paying for their masters via stripping.

A lot of them were in their 30s and 40s too. Some were married.

This thread isn't about my old job. Some people strip, and it needs to stop being judged the way it is, but that is a topic for another thread.

I notice how over-sexualized young women are in my normal day to day life which is as biology student, bartender, and friend.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:13 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
This thread isn't about my old job.
You are right. This thread is about your personal experience with unclassy women.

I don't share your opinion, because I obviously don't hang out with the same crowd as you.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:28 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,685,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I read this whole thing (rarity for me)...

We are the problem trying to repress something that's instinctive. A boob pops out over the superbowl and it's mass hysteria...Go to other countries and there's nudity TV commercials. See what they where at Rio de Janario beaches. If clothing actually bothers don't live in south FL, L.A., etc...
See I think people miss the whole point of all this.

It's about there is a time AND a place for everything.

On the beach, sure, fine, topless girls, g strings whatever. You know when you go to the beach you are going to see that. The supermarket, main street, er, no.

The reason why the boob was the problem on the Super Bowl is because was that appropriate for dinner time infront of 60 million people? No I don't think so. At 10 PM maybe, in your house maybe, in your backyard, on the beach, fine.

I think there has to be some kind of public standards, what people do in their private space is their business.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:29 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,038,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I read this whole thing (rarity for me)...

We are the problem trying to repress something that's instinctive. A boob pops out over the superbowl and it's mass hysteria...Go to other countries and there's nudity TV commercials. See what they where at Rio de Janario beaches. If clothing actually bothers don't live in south FL, L.A., etc...

Parents faults for not enforcing? When I dated H.S. girls with converative parents, they bring "slutty" clothes with and them change once they were out of the house. They even sneakily wash them without their parents knowing. Or kept, changed into and washed their clothes at a friends house.

Why do they do it? It's NORMAL to them...If they don't do it, they don't fit in and equate that being a loser. How do you change that mindset of millions? Answer's simple, become a dictator...

I have some positive news for the conseratives some slutty trends have gone away. A big one was the thong/g-string purposesly exposed above pants...The other is the super ultra low rise pants, the one's where when a girl would bend over would automatically moon the world. They're both currently out of style.

Jag has a good point, you can't stop what someone will do...I also knew girls in High School..who went to all girl Private schools..who always had a change of clothes in their locker.. No, this wasn't every single girl i knew..but a majority..Many of them came from very conservative..or heavy handed families...not the evil less conservative family down the street..

And yes, in MOST other countries, people are exposed to ..and comfortable with alot more sexuality...we here in this country somehow find this wrong..something to hide or be shameful of..

This being said, children should not be "sexualized"...this is where we have gone wrong, for what ever reason...But, again, it is all about choice..no one holds a gun to a parent's head and tells them to buy x article of clothing for their daughters, nieces or whom ever..

I have 3 nieces..and the oldest has a very well balanced view of this..

She has asked the typical Why questions typical of any kid at her age..and Has always received the most truthful answers possible..

...Children should be taught that ..while it is part of who they are...it isn't something you just give up to everyone else.. Teach your children self respect..and empower their self esteem and they will be able to make wiser choices...even if they don't always do so..that is part of growing up, being rebellious,and finding one's self..The teen age years..

Hide it or be shameful of something which is totally natural..and you will face challenges..whether you see it or they keep it at their friend's house..or in their lockers...

Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

On the beach, sure, fine, topless girls, g strings whatever. You know when you go to the beach you are going to see that. The supermarket, main street, er, no.

The reason why the boob was the problem on the Super Bowl is because was that appropriate for dinner time infront of 60 million people? No I don't think so. At 10 PM maybe, in your house maybe, in your backyard, on the beach, fine.

I think there has to be some kind of public standards, what people do in their private space is their business.

Yes and its really not the clothing that bothers me. Its the media and the mindsets.

I live in South Florida (From Boston) and on a 90 degree day, I will wear my sundress and not care what people think.

I am noticing that a lot of girls in my age range that I meet don't display the capacity to talk about anything other than clothes, fashion, cars, trying out for modeling, boyfriends, and hair.
Its like there is nothing going on underneath the surface.

This thread was actually inspired by a girl I met in class yesterday who was only 18, a waitress at hooters, and talking about how she is trying out for the calender. She was wearing clip-in hair extensions, and a bright orange hooters jumpsuit.

I understand taking advantage of your looks to make a quick buck but it seemed this whole image was taking up her entire identity. When I tried making small talk with her, she was just very hard to talk to.

I guess my friends in Boston were more well-rounded, it may just be exagerated more here. It doesn't seem healthy, it really doesn't.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
Jag has a good point, you can't stop what someone will do...I also knew girls in High School..who went to all girl Private schools..who always had a change of clothes in their locker.. No, this wasn't every single girl i knew..but a majority..Many of them came from very conservative..or heavy handed families...not the evil less conservative family down the street..

And yes, in MOST other countries, people are exposed to ..and comfortable with alot more sexuality...we here in this country somehow find this wrong..something to hide or be shameful of..

This being said, children should not be "sexualized"...this is where we have gone wrong, for what ever reason...But, again, it is all about choice..no one holds a gun to a parent's head and tells them to buy x article of clothing for their daughters, nieces or whom ever..

I have 3 nieces..and the oldest has a very well balanced view of this..

She has asked the typical Why questions typical of any kid at her age..and Has always received the most truthful answers possible..

...Children should be taught that ..while it is part of who they are...it isn't something you just give up to everyone else.. Teach your children self respect..and empower their self esteem and they will be able to make wiser choices...even if they don't always do so..that is part of growing up, being rebellious,and finding one's self..The teen age years..

Hide it or be shameful of something which is totally natural..and you will face challenges..whether you see it or they keep it at their friend's house..or in their lockers...

I don't think hiding it is the answer. I just think there is more to a woman than the shape of her thighs, size of her ass, and size of her breasts!

What happened to all the other aspects of a human that make us.. well... HUMAN!

Our minds, problem solving skills, sense of humor, our souls, and pride.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:00 AM

622 posts, read 1,280,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
14 - 17 year-olds are not women, they're girls.

She said 14-27

Old 01-07-2010, 10:01 AM

622 posts, read 1,280,448 times
And I totally agree with you. What makes a woman has changed and not for the better.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:01 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,704,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

For the Superbowl...It was a boob for three seconds...Even most kids have seen a boob before...The kids weren't the one's flipping out...

I'll put it like this. You're DICTATOR Wanneroo...If you go to the supermarket and see someone in slutty clothes...What should be the punishment? Who is going to enforce it? Hire more police which raises taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships