Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:49 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,032,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
These factors alone does not make any woman a s l ut. Attention-seeking, sure I can buy that. That in of itself does not a s l u t make.

No one has to dress the way we want them to dress. Where do we draw the line on conservative? A buttoned-up shirt and a skirt down to one's ankles? The great thing about this country is letting people dress the way they want.

Who is to say what is excessive? If a woman works or doesn't work all week then goes to the beauty salon to get her hair done which may take a few hours, why is that upsetting you? I don't know how long tanning takes because I don't do it, but someone may consider it downtime to relax and unwind.
Attention-seeking is often correlated with promiscuity (sexual attention). It's not always true, but tends to be (depending on the individual). Many women find the easiest way to get attention is with their sexuality.

While those factors alone do not make a woman a sl u t, they do tend to be associated with women who are rather sl ut ty. Therefore, as people often use the representative heuristic, the non-sl ut ty women suffer from judgements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 02:51 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,300,830 times
That is also a good observation. I am first generation American, and I have noticed first hand that American women are more conservative than women from South America and the Caribbean. Part of that is climate, the rest culture.

Quote:
The issue is you live in Miami. Hispanic influence is high and Hispanic females are not afraid to show of their bodies.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:08 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,038,096 times
You only suffer when you allow those who judge to bring you down...and so is a choice we decide to make or rise above..

That would be like me getting all depressed and hate-like when one of my ex'es chose to date someone taller then 5' 9"...or getting offended when ..and this happened recently..some young and nieve woman thinks a guy past 25 is past his prime.. I just shrugged and responded.." you think so??...Guranteed my boys will zap any one of your eggs which gets in their way"...then got up and walked away...all the while with a smile on my face.. how was she dressed??..pretty conservatively...

Was how i chose to respond mean?..i think not..telling it like i see it??..definately

No offence to anyone, cuz i do love you all..but i am glad to be male... I mean when do you hear a guy call another guy a s**t for what he wears... or starting such threads

"Dan, i hate it when you wear that shirt that accents your biceps and chest..Ugh, what a sl*t!"...Women just seem to be their own worst enemies sometimes..

That being said, the grasshoppers do need to invest in shoes other than white sneakers...cuz women really do notice this..lol

Old 01-07-2010, 04:13 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,398,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I think it is bad parenting, plain and simple.

Although I will admit that even good parents can fail in this effort, if they put their children in a situation surrounded by low-class peers. You need an entire community of good parents, not just an island here and there.

Bad parenting is the root of the other symptoms: girls not knowing the value of sex, misunderstanding what a good man is, misunderstanding what a good man wants, looking towards TV sluts as role models, looking toward music sluts as role models.. the list is long, I am sure.
I do not know if I agree with the low class peers part, particularly with reference to young adults and independence/judgment issues. People with upper class parents in upper class environments can be just as bad, and in more cases then you would think. Often while these people may have the illusion of independence, apartments, houses, money etc. the vast majority of it comes from their parents or their trust funds rather then from them having decent jobs. On top of that often have similar "symptoms" to what you described, but again because their parents have money they often only face limited consequences and are able to keep up appearances of being more respectable and independent. Not to say all high class people are this way, but rather that the ones who are have the resources to obfuscate their "symptoms" and dependence.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:56 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,060,047 times
I guess I don't see the difference in stripping to pay the bills and stripping because you like to strip! Either way you are taking your clothes off for money! So who cares why you put yourself in the position to strip? Same thing with Hooters! Who cares if they are there to fill some crazy dream of being a Hooters girl or to pay off student loan debt? As a matter of fact, I would rather my daughter serve food at the Hooters for a living than strip! I understand the OP's point, but I don't think it really matters at the end of the day why someone has the job that they have.
And of coure our young girls grow up thinking that's cool! The Hooters girls are featured in magazines, at sporting events, and men love these women to be around and love being around these women! Same thing with girls/women who pose in Playboy! There is a tv show following the Girls Next Door around and showing and flaunting their glamourous lifestyle!

Old 01-08-2010, 01:57 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
my eldest daughter was a nude dancer at one time, she used the money she made from dancing to put her way through college. now she is a chemical engineer and enjoys it.

she used to wear clothes that you suggested and still does from time to time.

her only problem she has these days is getting a guy to go out with her, seems most guys are intimidated by her height.

as far as kids wearing such clothes, maybe they should try being a child/teen before trying to become a woman.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I do not know if I agree with the low class peers part, particularly with reference to young adults and independence/judgment issues. People with upper class parents in upper class environments can be just as bad, and in more cases then you would think. Often while these people may have the illusion of independence, apartments, houses, money etc. the vast majority of it comes from their parents or their trust funds rather then from them having decent jobs. On top of that often have similar "symptoms" to what you described, but again because their parents have money they often only face limited consequences and are able to keep up appearances of being more respectable and independent. Not to say all high class people are this way, but rather that the ones who are have the resources to obfuscate their "symptoms" and dependence.
Randomstudent,
I am not referring to income brackets. All the money in the world won't give a person class.

I'm saying, if you go raise your kid in a tight-knit, small-town sort of environment, with families that you've known and trusted for decades, then as a whole these parents can maintain a great deal of control over these types of social problems.

If you're the sort of fly-by-night family who moves every 3 years, from one big city school to another, then I wouldn't be surprised if you end up raising kids who reflect our corporate national culture, as opposed to a traditional local one.

Last edited by le roi; 01-08-2010 at 05:02 AM..

Old 01-08-2010, 07:10 AM

66 posts, read 111,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I am living in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale Area and I don't know if this is something going on every where but it seems like women between the ages of 14 and 27 are being brainwashed to be dress/act slutty. I am strongly emphasising the 14-19 demographic tho.

Yes, the fashion marketed to young women can be pretty skanky, but that is a fact we all know. I am talking about women working at hooters who wear it like a badge, or women who spend excessive amount of time and money getting hair extensions and spray on tans, women who get all of their confidence from what men think of them, women who disfigure their bodies with cosmetic surgery.

Its mind boggling.

I guess I used to dress somewhat hoochie, but I never acted that way.

I started realising all of this when I was an exotic dancer for a year (because I had to do it), not because I wanted to "feel sexy" or some bullcrap. I had to pay for some medical bills, buy a new car, and go back to college.

This was around the time I started dressing more conservative. I was being hit on and stared at all night at work and then during the day in my free time. Its straight up disrespect that some women take as a compliment. I was always being stared at like some toy (both at work and not at work). I realised that some people enjoy this. Some people enjoy the creepy leers.

Its one thing for someone to compliment you, but its another thing to yell "Thank-you daddy" across a crowded street.

Anyways, as soon as I paid for everything I needed to I went back to bartending.

It seems like a lot of young girls are just wannabe strippers. Its really sad.

In the 50s, society was turning young women into stepford wives.Now todays society is turning the young women into Stepford Sluts.

Why are so many women basing their self-worth off of what some horny guys think of them?

Its just really sad to me.

I am 21 so maybe I am just ahead of my time

I have a 19 year old daughter who never acted or dressed trashy. She is in college pursuing her degree and has internships as a freshman. She's always been driven and motivated to do well in school. I think there are many "kids" who get caught up in the way famous people/musicians/singers dress and feel compelled to do the same. Hopefully, it's a phase they are all going through!! But, I have to agree with you, I noticed that lately it has gotten worse - the dressing and the way they act. But reality shows like MTV and Jersey Shore don't help.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:18 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,398,124 times
Quote:
Randomstudent,
I am not referring to income brackets. All the money in the world won't give a person class.

I'm saying, if you go raise your kid in a tight-knit, small-town sort of environment, with families that you've known and trusted for decades, then as a whole these parents can maintain a great deal of control over these types of social problems.

If you're the sort of fly-by-night family who moves every 3 years, from one big city school to another, then I wouldn't be surprised if you end up raising kids who reflect our corporate national culture, as opposed to a traditional local one.
I still have to say I do not know about that either. I have known people who have been raised all around the world, some with corporate parents who turn out great and people from small tight-knit towns that quite frankly, have/had all the aforementioned "symptoms."

I think that if someone has/had responsible, non-absentee parents that can help, and I agree that areas that are disadvantaged, with a lot of gangs, are not conducive to good outcomes. Additionally the 40%+ unemployment rate among 18-25 year olds cannot at all be helping young people get their independence at this time. In the end however, I think most of the blame rests on the individuals themselves for their choices.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:21 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,906,042 times
Quote:
Randomstudent,

Sorry, have to disagree with this completely. Living in a small town for decades, a family can still raise a drug addict or ****, or criminal for a child.

Moving every 3 years from one city to another, maybe the parents are professors or physicians who are getting various specialties (as happened in my case), the family can still raise healthy, grounded children.

Its about the values instilled. This can not be judged by the neighborhood, city, or how many times a person moved. I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships