Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 09:44 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,033,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
I guess my main question is how many workout sessions did it take to notice you were rapidly gaining muscle with that workout.

Next would be how long after you started that workout did you stop because you didn't wish to get any bigger?
I wasn't necessarily getting big - bulky is a better word. I actually worked out like this on and off for roughly a year and a half. I kept wondering why I wasn't getting any slimmer and then I realized that perhaps it was because I had all this muscle on me. I was never ripped lol, but I could definitely feel and see the muscle. This is what happens when you neglect cardio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:56 PM

3,277 posts, read 3,529,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I wasn't necessarily getting big - bulky is a better word. I actually worked out like this on and off for roughly a year and a half. I kept wondering why I wasn't getting any slimmer and then I realized that perhaps it was because I had all this muscle on me. I was never ripped lol, but I could definitely feel and see the muscle. This is what happens when you neglect cardio.
Yeah, I asked that because many women will train that way and panic because they feel are getting bulky, when in fact, most women will plateau shortly after and it's very hard for them to get any larger. Sounds like you may be the exception, my sisters were very athletic and they built muscle easily, as well.

Sounds like you definitely need to keep up the cardio. If you really aren't looking for much definition or bulk, there really is no reason for weight training.

The body type you are seeking is that of cardio, flexibility and maybe some endurance - depending on how far you want to take it.

If you must do free weights, remember, more reps with less weight.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:57 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,104,843 times
Aw...gee whiz. Maybe you could, like totally, ask Heather to, like, pass him a note during 4th period social studies. That would be...so....rad!

Old 03-15-2010, 09:59 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,044,802 times
Quote:
I love lifting heavy weights too (I'm silently screaming "Oh yeah baby!!!!" inside my head ). .
sexy!

Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,033,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Yeah, I asked that because many women will train that way and panic because they feel are getting bulky, when in fact, most women will plateau shortly after and it's very hard for them to get any larger. Sounds like you may be the exception, my sisters were very athletic and they built muscle easily, as well.

Sounds like you definitely need to keep up the cardio. If you really aren't looking for much definition or bulk, there really is no reason for weight training.

The body type you are seeking is that of cardio, flexibility and maybe some endurance - depending on how far you want to take it.

If you must do free weights, remember, more reps with less weight.
I honestly think the reason I do better with more cardio and a little less hardcore strength training is because I was on the chubby side growing up. Fat on top of muscle is just not a good look lol.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:08 PM

3,277 posts, read 3,529,703 times
Quote:
Fat on top of muscle is just not a good look lol.
Lol Not usually. (As I sit here munching on bbq sunflower seeds)

Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,412,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Ok enough on how to get my fat butt into shape. What would you guys do if a chick hit on you at the gym. lol I already know what the guys do here. Most I went to school with...no thanks. lol

No thank you. You would be violating one of the few "me times and me places" I have. Ask for advice and gauge from there. But primping and acting like a clown in the corner will just get you snickered at.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:40 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,669,359 times
Quote:
I made a conscious effort to look pleasant while galavanting on the treadmill today, just in case he looked over. He doesn't look at me though! At least, I've never caught him. He's too busy doing his own thing and chatting with the guys (can't blame him, he definitely didn't get that body by scoping out chicks at the gym).
Oh honey, you have to walk up to him and open conversation

"Hi! I've seen you working out here a lot. I'm new, I just joined."

Let him introduce himself. Open with something else. When you're looking to continue the conversation, that's a different topic entirely.

But there's no way to avoid putting yourself out there. You have to set yourself up for possible rejection or disinterest; it's the only way, and as women we're notoriously bad at forcing ourselves to approach someone else.

So buck up, approach him and spark up a conversation.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:05 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,017,856 times
Quote:
I appreciate everyone's advice, but I'm specifically responding to US because WOW. . .

This guy is definitely about his workout, but also about socializing with the other guys in the weight area. Both of these combined creates a double-force shield that I find impossible to penetrate. For me to make an effort would be extremely obvious. I don't want to come off as a little girl with a crush (even though that's definitely what I am ).

I'm wavering on the compliment, only because this guy is not blind. He knows he has a fantastic body. He knows that girls think he has a fantastic body. Compliments are more than likely a dime a dozen. In addition, I've never "just" walked past him. He's not exactly a slow walker. I'd practically have to stop him to give him the compliment.

The treadmills are not near where he would walk.

I apologize if I'm being difficult. If it's not already obvious, I don't want to come off as creepy and my nerves (and hormones) are on fire.

Sorry, I went to bed after dealing with a sick little guy all day long, so I'm just now seeing this after eleventy-seven pages of responses which I've not read.

Okay, he's about the workout AND he's got a social group down in the weights -- yep, that's pretty tough to crack without being obvious, you're right. However, there are ways in (I make NO speculation about his personality beyond exercise, please bear that in mind).

1st off, since he already has a social group there, accept that you WILL be discussed. Guys are no different than women inasmuch as we do talk, the differences tend to lie in HOW and HOW MUCH, and even that's not a sure bet.

Since treadmills are nowhere near the weights and he won't pass your area, you're left entering his unless you want to stake out the water fountain (I don't know what your gym looks like, so you'll have to adjust fire accordingly) or shake bar (if there even IS one). There WILL at least be a water fountain, if not multiple. Simple observation will let you know when he tends to go there routinely. It may take a few days, but there will be a pattern:

- Certain strenuous exercises requiring more effort
- An actual routine to his watering (between sets/between bodyparts, etc)
- Only after his workout is completed (rare, it's thirsty work)

You get the idea.

If you can get to there after a particularly intense set then you can avoid an open compliment and go with a casual "Hittin' it hard?" It suggests that you can recognize the work he's putting in -- a subtle but appreciated compliment. Probably one of the best compliments I ever got from a woman back in the workout days was when she told me I had a nice body and she could tell I worked hard at it.

It's one of those primitive things; men who work physically like to have the WORK complimented.

If he responds to this positively (make sure you smile, but you aren't required to beam) then as you part ways you can toss in something like "Keep it up, it's working." Be confident enough to hold his eyes for a few seconds when you do this, but even if you look away he now KNOWS. And after that HE will be looking for the chance to catch YOU aside, IF he's interested. No promises there, but it's a GOOD "in".

It's a shame you bulk easily. I can totally relate and I've known a few women who do this. Nothing wrong with it, I LIKE women with some real muscle, but if it's not to your taste (and I can understand that), might I suggest you learn some low-weight/high-intensity (not rep, intensity) routines which will allow you down into the free weights area? It's another opening and can tone-and-tighten without bulking too much, even for a person who bulks easily. Further, you'll bulk initially (or FEEL like you are) but you'll plateau quickly if it's high intensity, and the added muscle will aid in burning fat. It's a cycle, but it has payoff if you can figure it out.

When most people think about intensity in the gym they think about high weights and high reps. Those CAN be factors but they're not necessarily.

A low weight/high rep routine would be, for example, doing incline dumbbells for upper chest with 20's and doing 20 repetitions or more for your sets.

A low weight/high intensity routine wouldn't consist of just one exercise, it would consist of several done in rapid conjunction for a specific bodypart or body area.

Example:

Doing chest, you might rapidly switch between these:

- flatbench dumbbells, medium spread with a slight butterfly motion (switch dumbbells immediately afterward)
- flatbench dumbbells, wide butterfly with a lower weight than the medium spread (change bench position afterward)
- incline dumbbell press
- incline dumbbells, medium spread butterfly motion (return bench to flat position afterward)
- drop dumbbells entirely and, with chest flexed and tensed, do rapid butterfly motion WIDE, hands clenched and flexed, empty-handed for fifty reps
- FEEEEEELLLL THE BUURRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

ALL of that with low weight, moderate-to-high rep, virtually NO pause if ANY, between sets. You'd do one set of each, pump all that out rapidly, and you could even refer to completing one cycle of that AS one set, depending on just how intense you wanted to be.

It also gets a guy's attention when a woman picks up free weights and knows what she's about.

Last edited by Urban Sasquatch; 03-16-2010 at 06:19 AM..

Old 03-16-2010, 06:32 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,017,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
When it hurt I stopped using it. I prefer the machine where you lay on your belly and put your feet under these pad things and you do curl ups with your legs.

You want to change the intensity of that exercise (machine leg curl)?

Point your toes, all the way, bottom to top and back again, KEEPING them pointed the entire time. When I say point the toes I mean when you're lying down and in starting position, point the toes as the wall behind your head, and keep them so they're pointing at the ceiling at the top of the motion. Maintain THAT position, all the way through.

Do a moderate-to-heavy weight for the first two sets, enough you feel the muscles pumping up, and then drop your weight by half and do two more sets with control, but as rapidly as you can while maintaining control, keeping those toes pointed the entire time, and double or triple your reps. Take a one-minute breather between those second two sets.

You'll see some results, but remember, that's for the leg bicep, not for the inner thighs.

Plyometrics are where it's at for inner thigh unless you're trying to build, not tone.

Forward Lunges can help with inner thigh despite that they're for quads and hams, if you do them right. The reason is because you have to exercise full-leg control to maintain proper position and balance while going through the full step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships