Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 05:17 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'm sure he just needs a good woman to convert him back.
Elaine from Seinfeld was successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Holding our collective breath till Mango's return!
Is this must see tv?

Tune in tomorrow for As The Mango Turns.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Is this must see tv?

Tune in tomorrow for As The Mango Turns.
Of course it is! Next show - Get effing lives!

Old 03-16-2010, 05:28 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Hey, I'm the first one to give them props for being in the gym working out. It's not easy to lose weight. However, I have do a problem when some use the equipment as couches. Show some gym ettiquette please.

Signed,

The chick trying to use the machine the fat azzes are sitting on
Well to be fair they might not know about gym etiquette yet. I know it's a no-no to wait or just sit on machines but if a person is new and they see everybody else doing it, it's only natural for them to follow the herd.

This one of the reasons why I prefer free weights to machines. No waiting and I can claim my spot and take my time.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:11 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,940 times
You guys are going to be really disappointed. There was no communication.

HOWEVER - I have come up with an indirect plan of action. You see, up until now, I've done the whole lone wolf thing at the gym. I go in, work out, and leave - all business. Today, I brought out the charming Mango at the gym and my first rule of plan is to be friendly with everyone, but particularly the guys. Note: I genuinely mean friendly, not overt flirting (although, naturally, flirty banter happens). I figure it would seem slightly odd if the girl who barely talks to or looks at anyone at the gym suddenly sidles up to a particular guy with demure eyes and conversation, so my first step is to increase my presence within the free weight guys at the gym as a collective. This takes the edge off of me and makes my approachability levels skyrocket, plus when I start to talk and smile at him, it will seem natural and not as if I targeted him. So far, so good! The guys are really friendly and receptive to smiles and playful small talk. I'll move on to step 2 after a few more gym trips.

Yes, I am definitely putting too much thought into this, but I like to have a fairly organized plan of action. I'm much calmer when I know what I'm doing next. No snide remarks about me being a control freak!

Old 03-16-2010, 06:22 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
You better take a stick to beat all the nasty, sweaty men off you when you put your plan in action.

Just consider that if he sees you treat him like "one of the guys," that's probably where he'll fall in line.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:31 PM

924 posts, read 1,644,708 times
Personally I think you should bite the bullet and be more direct with him (not necessarily ask him out, but single him out when utilizing one of the many great ideas given by other posters). If you're really embarrassed should he not reciprocate interest, you could always change up the time you went to the gym at.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,170,662 times
just walk up to him and say hi. im assuming your semi attractive. any guy is gonna welcome a pretty girl walking up to him and talking. take it from there. you are looking into it too much here.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
just walk up to him and say hi. im assuming your semi attractive. any guy is gonna welcome a pretty girl walking up to him and talking. take it from there. you are looking into it too much here.
She is very pretty. And she would have no problem turning heads. I do agree that she's looking into it too much.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:48 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,014,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Okay, Urban Sasquatch! I need specifics on good free weight exercises (the non-bulking type of course) because the only thing I ever do with free weights is bicep curls with dumbbells. I'm definitely an amateur when it comes to the big bad free weights.

Mango, I'm hitting this message and skipping about eight pages of response, so forgive me if this has already been addressed. I DID glance at the page this was on and I know people are talking about what causes bulk and what does not, so I'll tell you this right up front:

People are different, they respond differently to exercise(s), and there is (and always shall be) MUCH debate regarding what is best for achieving such-and-such result. However, ONE thing is certainly true, and that is given any form of resistance training you WILL build/bulk SOME muscle mass -- it's inevitable.

HOWEVER...

With regard to just how MUCH muscle "mass" (meaning bulk/size, as opposed to the true meaning of mass, which involves not only dimension but density) you'll build there is a yes-and-no school of thought given to certain exercises.

Jays correctly expressed one side of that debate, a couple of other folks the opposing side. AS a person who "bulks" easily you're going to have to find some of that middle path.

One thing I can tell you with absolute certainty, however: You should include some resistance training for the sake of strength alone. You may "bulk" some, but A) that's natural for someone/anyone beginning resistance training, and B) don't worry, it will taper off faster than you may fear (the quick plateau). If people built muscle that easily the world would be filled with muscle freaks and bodybuilders wouldn't have to devote years to training. What I'm saying is don't let it bother you, because every single woman I've ever trained (and a lot of men, for that matter) said "I just want to tone, I don't want to get all bulky."

And within about six to eight weeks every single one of them has gleefully "made a muscle" (bicep flex) in the mirror and liked what they've seen. DON'T worry about bulk so much; everyone has to adjust their training as they learn more and decide in which direction they wish to take their physique.

You, however, have a different target in mind, right? Mr. Hunky?

It's virtually impossible for me to explain through the medium of the written word what you should be doing for training with free weights, ie., to teach you how to lift weights. Part of it comes from being shown how, part of it comes from learning your way around your own body (and given time you WILL be surprised at what you don't know about your own body).

To that end I encourage you to observe weightlifting people with the understanding of purpose and technique in mind. Watch what guys do, but bear in mind BULK is their goal generally: Larger, fuller, denser muscle. Different moves tear down/build up muscle differently. Because guys will move more slowly you can observe them for FORM and technique, keeping in mind that when you do the same exercise you'll do it with a lower weight for a greater number of repetitions and at a higher speed.

Weight, speed and CONTROL, STRICT, STRICT CONTROL while going for higher reps are your friends. It's the old fast-twitch/slow-twitch muscle fiber argument. Many argue against it and I agree to some extent and disagree to some extent because for all the argument it still doesn't explain the difference in muscles given specific variations in exercise.

It would help if I knew some direction you'd like to take with your body.

bodybuilding.com also has some excellent sections on exercises and exercise basics, although googling should provide some great resources for learning some of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships