Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 03:00 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Some people use such expressions so much that when they use the first name for a change, the one so addressed feels like they have done something wrong and are about to be punished
But baby etc. are cool for people who have lots of lovers, they don't have to be afraid of confusing their first names
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 03:36 PM

172 posts, read 785,573 times
I just call a lot of people sweetie/honey. I do it without really thinking about it. I don't mind it when someone calls me one of those names... However, "sweet cheeks" I don't like. No idea why, I just don't.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas2010 View Post
I just call a lot of people sweetie/honey. I do it without really thinking about it. I don't mind it when someone calls me one of those names... However, "sweet cheeks" I don't like. No idea why, I just don't.
Sweet cheeks sounds like a hamster, or a little boy with his mouth full of chocolate

Old 03-20-2010, 03:45 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times
When I used to work at the call center (Surveyor, as in "Did you like your banking experience at _____ Bank?"), I was always called Honey, Hon', Sugar, Sug, Sweetie, Darlin', Baby, Sonny, Child and Sweet Child by Southern women wherever I happened to call in the south (gosh I love automated dialers, it told me on the screen where I was calling! ). It's something about those statements that makes me feel all gushy, maybe I'm just a sap for that sort of thing.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:58 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times
I got "sweetie" when I worked at a call center too.
"Sweetie, please don't read me all that. I just wanna get a credit card so's I can do a blance transfer."
"Well it's a federal law..."
"I know that, darlin', but can't ya just cut it short for me, please?"

And I get it a lot now as a cashier. Think you get it much more when you work in any kind of service.
"Sweetie, could you get me some quarters so my grandson can get a gumball?
I just wanna scream "I'm checking out someone else and I'm not your sweetie, GRANDPA!!!"

I don't want to work retail anymore.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:00 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
When men are addressed by women with these terms, it's folksy and endearing.

When women are addressed by men with these terms, it's patronizing and condescending.

Why is that?
It's not the terms so much as how it's said.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:22 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,790,056 times
Let's be realistic here....Im a 31 year old male and do get this line from women a lot..."can i get u somethin else sweetie?" when i'm at a bar or restaurant....i know they don't like me like that but i get it a lot, and i see what the OP is saying...why is it if I'm at work serving a woman that it is seen as inappropriate compared to when a woman says it?

Old 03-22-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Let's be realistic here....Im a 31 year old male and do get this line from women a lot..."can i get u somethin else sweetie?" when i'm at a bar or restaurant....i know they don't like me like that but i get it a lot, and i see what the OP is saying...why is it if I'm at work serving a woman that it is seen as inappropriate compared to when a woman says it?
Probably because of history. For a long time women were denied respect, and calling them such names is considered a continuation of that.
Between colleagues I find it inappropriate in both ways. Outside the office I find it OK in both ways. If one does not like it, ignore the person and go away or whatever.
To me those four expressions are quite different from each other. On a scale, calling someone baby seems the most severe case, whereas I find sweetie rather nice. Of course that always depends on how one says it. One can turn the nicest word into a weapon, and the ugliest into a compliment.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:16 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I hear both 'Honey' and 'sweetie' from females, usually sales clerks or waitresses.

It always strikes me as being overly intimate for a person who has never seen me before.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:34 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's probably more of a Southern or Midwest thing, all these terms are exceptable.

For the record it's not Darling, it's Darlin said with a true southern drawl. That's one of the ultimate good things a man can call his SO. Baby falls into the same category a wife calls her man.

A true southerner knows how to use each with affection or sarcastically.
Well Bless Your Heart! Darlin!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships