Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:36 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,291 times

Advertisements

no, I meant like ringing someone else up, not checking them out like looking at them. hahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 07:51 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,335,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
When men are addressed by women with these terms, it's folksy and endearing.

When women are addressed by men with these terms, it's patronizing and condescending.

Why is that?
This according to who? I think everyone likes to hear a term of endearment from their significant other. I know I do. If my s/o called me by my name it either because we are in or about to have an argument or I'm across the store looking at something or some other out of the norm situation. I rarely hear my name

Outside of a relationship I think it just weird to call someone by those kind of terms. Unless you are an geriatric southern lady.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:03 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
This according to who? I think everyone likes to hear a term of endearment from their significant other. I know I do. If my s/o called me by my name it either because we are in or about to have an argument or I'm across the store looking at something or some other out of the norm situation. I rarely hear my name

Outside of a relationship I think it just weird to call someone by those kind of terms. Unless you are an geriatric southern lady.
This is precisely the kind of situation to which the argument refers. There is no objection on my part to these terms being used among family, friends or SO's. As it is, I do think females are generally accorded more liberty with respect to addressing strangers with these terms than men.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:27 AM

956 posts, read 1,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
LOL. Ive never really thought about it, but youre right. I dont like for any woman other than the Mrs. to address me with any of those terms. I would not allow it.
How about from DD, the malinkaya deragoya (when she´s old enough to speak)?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:42 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,768 times
I grew up in a household where our parents called us by our names and no terms of endearment. Lots of hugs and kisses, but no lovey-dovey names.

I can't stand when I'm in a public place and either a man or woman is calling me "Honey" or "Sweetie" and we're doing a transaction that involves money. When did you become my relative? This is not your money...it's mine til I give it to you...

I can see a older white-haired waitress calling me "Hon" or "Sweets" but no one else. We can talk politely to each other without saying those terms, especially if it's the first time we've ever met. I tend to subconsciously block out what the other person is saying if their conversation is littered with,"Honey, Babe, Sweetie."

Old 03-22-2010, 12:49 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:

When women are addressed by men with these terms, it's patronizing and condescending.

Why is that?

DANG, and my husband has never mentioned that I'm apparently being "patronizing and condescending" Oh wait, maybe HE doesn't feel that way when I use those terms? Maybe some men actually DO find these terms endearing even though you don't

Old 03-22-2010, 01:23 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
DANG, and my husband has never mentioned that I'm apparently being "patronizing and condescending" Oh wait, maybe HE doesn't feel that way when I use those terms? Maybe some men actually DO find these terms endearing even though you don't
Again, I'm not talking about those in intimate or familiar relationships.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:28 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,641 times
Quote:

Why is that?
You'll need to question yourself that because the rest of us don't feel that way.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:37 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperk View Post
I bought a car from the local dealership and the sales guy honey'd and baby'd me to death. I was so sick of it. I don't think he ever said my name. This was 3 days dealing with him. I really started to hate him.

The next year I went back to buy another car and the other sales guy started with the same crap. I told him if he called me his honey one more time I would buy my car elsewhere.

That was the end of the honey.

Good for you, keeperk! It is totally inappropriate in a business situation. In your shoes, I would've said the same thing to that salesman.

On the other hand, when my bf calls me "Darling" or "Sweetheart," it melts me completely.

By the way, this is a little off topic, but once when I was shopping for a new car, the salesman actually asked me if I had my husband's permission to purchase a car without him there. Geez, is this the 1950s? I couldn't believe he asked me that. I turned on my heel and walked away. Purchased a car at a place with a more respectful sales person. (I'm single, by the way, but didn't bother telling him that.)

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-22-2010 at 06:02 PM..

Old 03-22-2010, 05:38 PM

115 posts, read 273,982 times
I found it more insulting when a real estate sales guy asked what I did, I said SAHM and he said "good! that's what a woman should do, be at home with the kids, and keep out of the work place where men belong!" we didn't buy a house thru him! lol

My great grandma called everyone doll baby, and all of us grand kids call each other and our children that.

He calls me "love or Hey You" and I call him "Mr. Snuffles or baby" but I sometimes call our kids sweetie or hon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships