Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 01:52 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
It depends on what the meaning of "love" is. Unfortunately, it's often easy to confuse it with limmerance - which is a extremely powerful feeling of attachment to someone, not even primarily a sexual attachment (which is why it's so easy to confuse limmerance with love. It's easy to tell the difference between love and cheap lust - not so easy with love and limmerance). In that sense, it's definitely possible to "love" someone too much -- especially if you confuse love with possessiveness / clinginess.

To me, healthy love consists of a mostly emotionally neutral feeling of security and trust. The butterfly or "high" feelings are just that -- highs induced by narcotics naturally produced by your body. They may not be street drugs, but they still significantly impair your judgment - particularly regarding your priorities and pseudo-needs in life. Hell, I don't even trust passionate love (yet another feel-good emotionalism that gives you "brain fog").

The only loving feeling you should trust even half-way is an emotionally neutral one, full of security and feelings you can share anything with them. Any other feeling based on feel-good emotionalisms (usually fueled by those neurochemical narcotics) is just that -- feel-good emotionalisms and nothing more.
Good post. I even learned a new word. Limmerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 01:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
no it does not make sense.
on the lighter side what is the difference between a codependent and a pit bull
a pit bull knows when to let go.
here is another
when a normal person is about to die his whole life passes in a flash before his eyes
but with a codependent its somebody else's life
http://www.sdccoda.org/

Old 05-30-2010, 04:37 PM

50 posts, read 58,390 times
Hi,

Sadly I realised I have loved someone too much. This has caused me a huge amount of harm/upset, because I loved a person a lot and had been dating them for awhile, and their love for me was minimal, which I now accept and see. I was blinded by love. We are broken up now.

I agree that it can be a good thing, but only where it's reciprocated or appreciated. Otherwise all the extra loving feelings are just that, extra!

If you are married however, I think loving someone too much is a good thing.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:46 PM

147 posts, read 296,681 times
There is no such thing as loving too much, because "too much" implies a negative conotation. When it's true love there is no such thing as too much or too little. If someone thinks their boyfriend loves them "too much" then they aren't in love with their boyfriend.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:32 PM

550 posts, read 1,215,038 times
When it get's noticable that your feelings are not answered...

Old 05-31-2010, 02:12 AM

50 posts, read 58,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post
When it get's noticable that your feelings are not answered...

- This is 100% spot on.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:08 AM

926 posts, read 2,748,074 times
I loved my ex so much he became dependant on me for every little thing becuase I basically didnt let him grow or learn from his mistakes. If he blew his car insurance money on a new xbox game and some controllers, I covered his insurance. I did EVERYTHING for him that by the time we broke up, he was so used to not having to get a "real" job since I took care of him, he struggled to support himself. I guess I spoiled him too much in a bad way....

Last edited by babigyrl5; 05-31-2010 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: add on

Old 06-01-2010, 12:39 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Is it possible to love someone too much and, if so, how do you know that's happening? Someone told a friend, "He's crazy. He loves you too much". That doesn't even make sense to me.
Well, what that person might have meant is that her boyfriend loved her so much that he was doing crazy things for her. Crazy as in, he might have been endangering himself, or putting himself at risk in some way, to make her happy. Not because she demanded it of him, but because he wanted to make her happy of his own accord and was therefore pretty much juggling things in the air for her.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:48 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
I believe loving someone "too much" = not loving yourself enough.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:06 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I have loved too much, but despite any wounds, I'd do it all over again.
High's like that don't come easy or often enough.

I love that old Eastern saying: No bliss will ever come your way, unless you surrender.

I love the high of loving someone too much, but if someone pulled that stunt on me, whack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships