Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 03:38 PM

50 posts, read 50,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes me too then maybe society will realize the need for Jesus if they can break away from religion. Just curious who are you praying to?
Sorry, you can't wriggle out of it that easily. Having a "relationship" with and/or praying to any deity or supreme being is religion whether you like to call it that or not. If it walks like a duck..

As the OP stated, this country needs to be free from religion and that includes the one you practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 04:10 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,935 times
Thank God I live in a country that I can celebrate being independent and practice my own beliefs in atheism

Old 07-04-2007, 04:45 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascoDoug View Post
Sorry, you can't wriggle out of it that easily. Having a "relationship" with and/or praying to any deity or supreme being is religion whether you like to call it that or not. If it walks like a duck..

As the OP stated, this country needs to be free from religion and that includes the one you practice.
I'm not trying to wiggle out of anything. Religion is something man made. What I have is a personal relationship with God, you may call it religion since you don't understand what I mean. This is what our county needs to do: 2 Chronicles 7: 14 " Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked way, I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sins and heal their land".

Old 07-04-2007, 04:47 PM

211 posts, read 985,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
Happy 4th.

Atheists too have a day of independence from spirituality. I remember when I cast off the shackles of belief and was able to be free of guilt, fear and oppression.

Amen

Old 07-04-2007, 05:28 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,875,374 times
PascoDoug, let me give you a couple of examples of religion and a relationship with Jesus.

Let's look at Mary Magdalene, I'm sure you know her story - She committed acts of adultry and the whole town wanted to stone her to death. That's religion, man made rules that say anyone caught in adultry should be stoned to death.

Jesus on the other hand was there, and he told everyone "Let those who are without sin cast the first stone", at that moment all of them dropped the stones on the ground and walked away - That's Jesus, the significance of that is, he is willing to accept you no matter what sins you've committed in the past.

Relgious rules in some Muslim countries are still practiced to this day, and they include stoning somebody to death even for something as little as stealing. Again that's religion, thank God we don't have that in our relationship with Jesus. We do have man-made laws that punish thieves, and have nothing to do with religious beliefs, and once they pay for their crimes, Jesus will not turn them away if they accept him as their savior and repent of their sins.

There are countless other rules in various denominations, many of which were not included in the Bible. That's also a perfect example of religion instead of a relationship with Jesus.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:30 PM

211 posts, read 985,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
PascoDoug, let me give you a couple of examples of religion and a relationship with Jesus.

Let's look at Mary Magdalene - She committed acts of adultry and the whole town wanted to stone her to death. That's religion, man made rules that say anyone caught in adultry should be stoned to death.

Jesus was there and he told everyone "Let those who are without sin cast the first stone", at that moment all of them dropped the stones on the ground and walked away - That's Jesus, the significance of that is, he is willing to accept you no matter what sins you've committed in the past.

Relgious rules in some Muslim countries are still practiced to this day, and they include stoning somebody to death even for something as little as stealing. Again that's religion, thank God we don't have that in our relationship with Jesus. We do have man-made laws that punish thieves, and have nothing to do with religious beliefs, and once they pay for their crimes, Jesus will not turn them away if they accept him as their savior and repent of their sins.
what do you think of the Spanish Inquistions and the Christian Crusades that basically forced people to convert to Christianity or they were put in torture chambers or sentenced to death?

Old 07-04-2007, 05:39 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,875,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
what do you think of the Spanish Inquistions and the Christian Crusades that basically forced people to convert to Christianity or they were put in torture chambers or sentenced to death?
I, like many other Christians don't call them "Christians", they were nothing but barbarians. Their actions were definitely not something Jesus would have done. He never forced people to convert or face death.

Speaking of which, some radical Muslims do that to this day also - Again their own rules or religion.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:52 PM

50 posts, read 50,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I'm not trying to wiggle out of anything. Religion is something man made. What I have is a personal relationship with God, you may call it religion since you don't understand what I mean.
I understand exactly what you mean, but it doesn't change anything.

And I agree religion is man made. Jesus was a man and the bible was written by men, after all.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:55 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascoDoug View Post
I understand exactly what you mean, but it doesn't change anything.

And I agree religion is man made. Jesus was a man and the bible was written by men, after all.
But Jesus is also God and God inspired the Bible, I believe it is the Word of God.

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 07-04-2007 at 08:57 PM..

Old 07-04-2007, 08:52 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,227,523 times
Thank you, Lord, for saving my soul.
Thank you, Lord, for making me whole.
Thank you, Lord, for giving to me
Thy great salvation so rich and free.

And thank you, God, for giving us the freedom we have in this country. I have always liked the following stanza from "My Country, 'Tis Of Thee."

Our fathers' God, to Thee,
Author of liberty, to Thee we sing.
Long may our land be bright
with freedom's holy light.
Protect us by Thy might, great God, our King.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality