Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 03:42 PM

219 posts, read 718,056 times

Advertisements

I'll have to add the book to my gigantic Amazon wish list of things to buy when I have the cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 05:22 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Okay, you know that the resident librarian (myself - duh) would be happy to take this challenge... and I've already read a few Christian books, since - unlike some people here, apparently - I'm always open to learning about different viewpoints. If you want a few title suggestions, I'd be happy to get you started... two that come to mind immediately are "Letter to a Christian Nation" and "The End of Faith", both by Sam Harris. I've read the former, and it's a very interesting & well-written book; also happens to be very short, so it is a quick read.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I love the Lord and what the Bible has to say,that I don't really care what an Atheist author has to say.I'll pass.
And that's one MAJOR problem with our society... nobody's asking you to conform to their thoughts, but simply to listen to their views. Anyone who's afraid to hear differing opinions is probably not very secure in their beliefs, in my humble opinion. Oh, and there are TONS of books by Atheists that aren't related to religion/atheism - so I'm sure you've read a few already, LOL.

P.S. I know you're going to say "I'm not afraid, just not interested", but that's often the same thing... of course I'm not going to read about every subject that doesn't interest me, but if given a challenge, I'd certainly take it on! Also, if it's the opposite of a subject you're very passionate about, I think it's particularly important to study.

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-09-2007 at 05:34 PM..

Old 07-09-2007, 05:33 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
I completely agree Gizmo. How could I consider myself to be open minded and maybe even wrong if I wasn't open to new ideas and information I've never been aware of?

Old 07-09-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I completely agree Gizmo. How could I consider myself to be open minded and maybe even wrong if I wasn't open to new ideas and information I've never been aware of?
Exactly... I think naivety and/or ignorance is among the biggest threats to society. And as I just added to my last post (probably right as you were responding!), it's especially important to study opposing views to the topics you care most about. Heck, that's one of the reasons I post on this forum!

Old 07-09-2007, 05:41 PM

7,997 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Exactly... I think naivety and/or ignorance is among the biggest threats to society. And as I just added to my last post (probably right as you were responding!), it's especially important to study opposing views to the topics you care most about. Heck, that's one of the reasons I post on this forum!
I love your thinking, Gizmo!!! Sending rep points...

Old 07-09-2007, 05:59 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Well, I'm already reading "I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist" and I have two books en route that I have to read for other issues I am dealing with. But I'll read the God Delusion IF:

It's well written and not insulting to believers
AND
It's not too long.

Can someone answer those for me???

Ya gotta understand how swamped I am and it's taking me forever to get through the stuff I'm already into. So my spare time is a bit limited.

Thanks

Old 07-09-2007, 06:03 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
I'll also throw out there that I will be willing to purchase the Geisler book, "I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist", for anyone who may not have the resources or ability to get that on their own. Just shoot me a PM and no else will know.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:07 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I'd have to go with The God Delusion as well. I have not read it yet, but from my understanding it seems to be the most easily read of his books and quite clear and concise. I'm just waiting for it to come out in paperback because I'm a cheapskate who hates paying $25 for hardcover

But to stick to the post... I'd be willing to read a Christian book. I am openminded enough to do so without trying to criticize every part of the author's work. The one Solidsquid mentioned sounded interesting but if there's another one the Christians would like to propose that is fine too. All I ask is to try and find a book that does not quote scripture too much. All that does for me is negate any sort of truth to the book because I don't see the bible as a work of God but a work of fiction. So, to reference a work of fiction proves nothing to me. If they are doing it in a way where they are trying to prove a certain scripture true by the use of science that's fine, just don't find a book that says "Why the Earth is Young" and the whole book explains Genesis and all it's quotes. And besides the grammar in the bible gives me a headache anyway.
Anything by Marcus Borg would be good GCS...he takes the bible and puts it into it's contemporary meaning and translates scripture metaphorically....it comes through with the message intact for today's world. I would suggest "Meeting Jesus for the First Time" as a good one.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:08 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I'll also throw out there that I will be willing to purchase the Geisler book, "I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist", for anyone who may not have the resources or ability to get that on their own. Just shoot me a PM and no else will know.
How sweet are you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality