Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:48 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,913,916 times

Advertisements

Irishmom: you're right! That's a good deal! I wonder what regular shipping is? Still cheaper to order it online...whoo hoo...I love doing that.

Hey, I don't have you on the list...do I need to add you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 11:49 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,586,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Noland, I thought we weren't going to argue on this board I think the main point of this is because we atheists don't read the Bible as a work written by a God but by mere mortal men. We are agreeing to read the Christian scientific communities' explanations on why science matches up with the Bible. That is specifically why I asked to read a book that doesn't quote the Bible as it's end all be all conclusion. I think what we are looking for is a book that can open up with a chapter such as "Answers about Genesis" and proceed with scientific information to back up the claims the bible makes, not the other way around. Is this making sense?

It'd be like me suggesting someone to read a book and every other sentence said "If you don't like this answer, Darwin said it." It just doesn't do much for the argument especially if you don't trust the supporting documentation
I wasn't arguing,but clarifying to Jazzedforhim that I do care what Atheists have to say just not what the author of a book on Atheists has to say.I'm just standing on firm ground about God and the Bible.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:51 PM

Both are eligible for super saver free shipping too! So maybe I can get one of mine that are on my loooooonnnnng Amazon wishlist instead of paying shipping costs. It will be like getting a book free! That's the way I look at it anyway!

Old 07-09-2007, 11:54 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,824,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Irishmom: you're right! That's a good deal! I wonder what regular shipping is? Still cheaper to order it online...whoo hoo...I love doing that.

Hey, I don't have you on the list...do I need to add you?
Honestly I would love to...but I'm swamped in my classes and already spend too much time online reading here to avoid the class reading...LOL I also have an art show to do in August and need to make about 50 more pieces before then, so I will be scarce after this week as is.

However I may retro read at some point, although I already think like an atheist who believes in God...it's quite a challenge to keep reconciling my logical mind with my faith...but so far it's working. I think my opinions already confuse everyone here more reading may just add to that.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I wasn't arguing,but clarifying to Jazzedforhim that I do care what Atheists have to say just not what the author of a book on Atheists has to say.I'm just standing on firm ground about God and the Bible.
Noland, there is not a Christian here who will say that you need any book other then the Bible to find your way in life. GCStroop made a good point, the atheist doesn't believe that the Bible is from God so they need to go outside the Bible to learn more. Make sense?

Old 07-09-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Both are eligible for super saver free shipping too! So maybe I can get one of mine that are on my loooooonnnnng Amazon wishlist instead of paying shipping costs. It will be like getting a book free! That's the way I look at it anyway!
Gotta love Amazon. I signed up for Prime for a trial and forgot to cancel it...well let me tell you with all I order from there...it pays for itself many times over in free shipping and tax throughout the year. But of course I am a shop-a-holic with EXTREMELY happy nieces and nephews all over the country.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:04 AM

30,409 posts, read 52,025,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Amazon has it for $16ish...or you can get it in soft cover for $10ish in September. If you have prime shipping is free.

Amazon.com: The God Delusion: Books: Richard Dawkins

They also have the other one... Amazon.com: I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist: Books: Norman L. Geisler,Frank Turek,David Limbaugh
OR you can go to your local library, and get it for free!! (sorry, it's my duty to say that - LOL)

Seriously though, as much as I'd love to help here, I'm not sure I'd be able to read it quickly... librarians are actually assigned books to read (not so bad, eh?), and I'm working on 2 right now. But I'll certainly give it a shot! Let me know if you'd like any advice on the technicalities & such.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:07 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,471,388 times
OK, so do I have an assigned reading project yet?? Seems like people are already ordering.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
OR you can go to your local library, and get it for free!! (sorry, it's my duty to say that - LOL)
Yes this is a great resource for normal people. I've had so many books destroyed from the library it is actually cheaper for me to buy them online or at Borders...LOL

Old 07-10-2007, 12:09 AM

30,409 posts, read 52,025,350 times
Fyi, we have TONS of copies of "The God Delusion", and most of them are currently checked out... strangely we don't have the other title, and it's not a biased thing - since we have plenty of other books on that topic. If you all think it's good, maybe I can recommend it to the ordering committee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality