Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 10:37 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times

Advertisements

Does your church require or should say imply that you dress up for church ?Whereby men are to wear suits\ties and women to wear appropriate length dresses.I know of some churches that are laid back and the congregation wears casual attire.Should we put our best foot forward and look as nice we can on the Lord's Day?Is there scripture in the Bible about this?

Last edited by noland123; 07-16-2007 at 10:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 10:40 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,548 times
No our church is VERY casual. In fact, we have a lot of people from broken homes or recovering from drug addiction who don't have much yet feel very welcome at our church. I think dressing nice is ok if that is what you want to do, but I don't think it should be a requirement because it can be a barrier keeping some from attending.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:42 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Does your church require or should say imply that you dress up for church ?Whereby men are to wear suits\ties and women to wear appropriate length dresses.I know of some churches that are laid back and the congregation wears casual attire.Should we put our best foot forward and look as nice we can on the Lord's Day.Is there scripture in the Bible about this?
I say come as you are, within certain obvious guidelines of course (no ridiculous ultra-minis, or shirts with curse words on them, ect). I grew up in California and I think it's much more lax there generally. Probably because of the nice weather, but lots of people including myself would go to church wearing shorts and sandals.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:43 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I say come as you are, within certain obvious guidelines of course (no ridiculous ultra-minis, or shirts with curse words on them, ect). I grew up in California and I think it's much more lax there generally. Probably because of the nice weather, but lots of people including myself would go to church wearing shorts and sandals.
Yep...me too!

Old 07-16-2007, 11:30 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times
My vote is for the casual attire, come as you are approach....formal "dressing up" was always a huge turn-off to me, and a big reason I never went to some churches. I want to see the real person, not the white-washed version...

Bud

Old 07-16-2007, 11:35 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
theres a new church thats geared for cowboys here (im not a cowboy) that casual and you can bring your horse, Im thinking of going there once or twice, oh and its in a barn, heard the services were gr8.

I attended a few churches that looked down on people for not dressing to the hilt, One guy wore shorts one Sunday morn and he was the talk all week. You would think his being there would be important, not how he was dressed.

for the OP..no casual is fine at my church, come as you are, its not about how we can impress each other.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:41 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,865 times
Our church is come as you are. I still can't bring myself to wear shorts but people do it every week! I think its about people coming and not what they are wearing!

Old 07-16-2007, 12:00 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,500 times
Even though I don't go to a church, I'll tell you about my synagogue.

It's very, very informal. It's a Hillel instead of a traditional synagogue (Hillel is a student Jewish organization at a lot of college campuses) because there is not a large enough Jewish community here for a proper synagogue. As a result, it is very laid back but you see a wide spectrum of how people dress. It goes anywhere from dress slacks and ties to jeans and flip flops.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:01 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
My husbands church think that women should dress in dresses, The preacher had a sermon on how the men of the church liked to see the women look like women in dresses whenever they came to church. That a woman should not wear pants suits or slacks to church, because it was disrespectful to the worship of the Lord. He didn't say anything about the men in their short sleeved shirts with tatoos all up and down their arms. Women were allowed to wear slacks on Church outings and to other things that were not held in the sanctuary. I would rather go to a Church where the focus is on worship instead of what I am wearing. There was a time when I didn't have a decent dress or shoes for Church. It is painful to me to think that there are so many people who may desire to go to church, but "don't have anything to wear". Good thing that God doesn't care what you are wearing.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:13 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Our church is casual for the most part. It runs the gamut. Sometimes I wear a dress. Often I wear slacks. One part of me thinks this is a good thing. After all, God does look on the heart, not the outward appearance. Yet... the other side of me says maybe we should look our best to go to "God's house" so to speak. I know that as Christians, the Holy Spirit lives within us, not just a physical temple. But I still have some feelings about that somehow. I think about the story of the Israelites. I'm fuzzy on the details here but I think God had said they could come up to the mountain and meet with Him. I think they were afraid and wanted Moses only to go and be their representative. But anyway, if I recall correctly, they were told to change and wear their clean clothes to go up and meet with God. Anyway...makes you think about it.

I remember arguing with my teen-age son a few years back when I came into his room one Sunday morning and he was planning to wear this rubber-soled "flip-flops" to church that morning. I informed that this was not appropriate attire to go to God's House in. He said something like, "Mommm, God has seen my feet before!" I was amused. I still don't think it's appropriate, but I was amused!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality