Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:00 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
i know this has probly been discussed before,but i was watchin Hawkins' universe the other night,(love lookin into the galaxy's and nebula's and solar systems that surround our little tiny speck in the universe),and this episode was about the big bang,now ive no problem with the theory itself except for one thing,at the start while tryin to explain how the big bang expanded,the first thing that was said was,''once you accept that something,(obviously meaning everything),came from nothing,then you can start to understand the big bang,and that was the part,apart from all the rest that i couldnt understand.

Well then, simply put, we hinder ourselves with requirements that we explain the future, the currently unknown if you will, with tools we developed in the past. In other words, we assume the truth about everything we don't yet understand must be explained in terms that we're already comfortable with.

No need to expound on this any more is there? In fact, what we have learned is simply that there are, and will continue to be, revelations brought on, not by meditation, but by objective research.

We know as fact, for instance, that our physical universe, the one we're part of, is rapidly expanding in measurable physical ways. It's pretty much a logical conclusion (at least to me...) that an expanding and enlarging 4-dimensional object (three physical axes, plus the axis of time) was, previously, (even one minute ago...) smaller in those four dimensions than it is now, and if we simply go back far enough, it was obviously a lot smaller than now, in fact it was very small. Infinitesimal.

And if we know the rate it's now expanding, we can even estimate, roughly, how far back in time that origins event was, right? Hard to figure? I don't think so.

The only remaining logical quandary & question therefore is, what happened at the moment (or before) it was infinitely small? Did it pre-exist in another dimension, form or time plane, just waiting for an opportunity to re-appear? Or? Who knows?

Does this therefore support an inconsistent, contradictory and convenient deity-based event? Why is that absolutely necessary as the only acceptable answer? That explanation may be preferred or fervently hoped-for, but is it necessary or mandated? Why? How so?

I rest my case.

Last edited by rifleman; 01-07-2011 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 03:15 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
i suppose jesus is the only way is He,and if you dont beleive then your goin to burn forever are you,well m8 if thats ther case then i feel sorry for all those who beleive such non-sense,.

dont go writing things about things that you obviously dont understand,and about how great christianity is and how stupid every other religion is because your just giving your fellow christians a bad name.
I probably know about Brahmaism better than you realize (my wife was born and raised a Hindu), but that's not important. I am not a believer in eternal torment, but that's not really what is important either. What is important is that Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation. You can be a perfect Hindu or Moslem or Bhuddist and you still will not be saved from destruction after the judgement. He is the way and the truth and the light. The only way.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:50 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I probably know about Brahmaism better than you realize (my wife was born and raised a Hindu), but that's not important. I am not a believer in eternal torment, but that's not really what is important either. What is important is that Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation. You can be a perfect Hindu or Moslem or Bhuddist and you still will not be saved from destruction after the judgement. He is the way and the truth and the light. The only way.
Typical christian response...My way or hell's highway.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:38 PM

912 posts, read 826,832 times
Does this therefore support an inconsistent, contradictory and convenient deity-based event? Why is that absolutely necessary as the only acceptable answer? That explanation may be preferred or fervently hoped-for, but is it necessary or mandated? Why? How so?

I rest my case.Quote

So then contrary to continuance, evolution, big bang,the energy from a fallen tree & everything we know, the essence of self a growing maturing reality somehow comes to a dead blank.

Doesn't seem to comply with any findings.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:47 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Typical christian response...My way or hell's highway.
my toughts exactly.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:49 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,041 times
Quote:
lets just stick to the topic ,,shall we ????

Old 01-07-2011, 04:56 PM

912 posts, read 826,832 times
Quote:
For hell to exist, God must contemplate hell. Is God like idi amin with a torture chamber in his palace ?
When you are in heaven , will you go and watch hell on weekends for entertainment ?
Do you have hatred inside your being ?

Old 01-07-2011, 05:04 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
For hell to exist, God must contemplate hell. Is God like idi amin with a torture chamber in his palace ?
When you are in heaven , will you go and watch hell on weekends for entertainment ?
Do you have hatred inside your being ?
According to the Bible and some Christians they will.

If I were a christian and my friends and loved ones were burning, I'd be able to go have a look from heaven, then give the eternal torturer his due praise.

Have you ever heard of anything so perverse and absurd?

Old 01-07-2011, 05:35 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
A very odd thing just happened: A moment BEFORE I posted my little rant about God-as-chaos (post #30) I noticed that I had a rep point. So I posted #30, then clicked to see the rep point. Low and behold it brought me to post #30! So it seems I had a rep point for the post before I even posted it??? Perhaps one of you is a psychic?
I predict that if you look back you'd see that #30 was in fact posted by someone else and you might suspect you were in error. Perhaps I have a rendering error on my end but it certainly appears that the user "doable" posted #30.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:08 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Nothing truly exists, because nothing can exist.
Of course no thing can exist, without no thing, there would not be a thing, A vacuum, is a noun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality