Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:28 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by restoner View Post
What is the difference between the Quran and the Koran?
Either is correct. They are transliterations from an entirely different alphabet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 06:31 AM

694 posts, read 745,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
No, because there was never an "original" Jewish bible. The whole thing was a compilation, developed over centuries.
But the first complete, in-book-form compilation would be the original of any book. If I do research and take notes and they are all separate and after years I publish a book with all this information it in, THAT is the original of that book.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN

Old 03-08-2011, 06:45 AM

570 posts, read 733,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
The original Qur'an does not exist. When the prophet died there were many who had memorize portions of it and there were many parts of it written down. There was not just one Qur'an. All the sources were brought together and a the Qur'an was compiled and codified into the canon of today. So it did not just become a book as it was being revealed to Muhammad. Many year passed after his death before it was written down all together.

The first was compiled by Abu Bakr after 70 reciters were killed in the battle of Yamama. Several hand written copies of the complete book were produced. Later as Islam spread out of the Arabian peninsula Uthman around 650 CE produced what is the official standard version. There had up to this point been different variations of the text but they were collected and burned.
When you said " The original Qur'an does not exist" did you mean the cover & the papers or what's written on it ?
If you meant the same cover & papers of the original Qur'an then you might be wright but if you meant what's written on it then you are absolutely wrong ... its the same exact words for more than 1400 year up until now .
We didt change gods word and lied to people , we dont have so many different versions of Qur'an .
Its one book & it will always be one book .

Old 03-08-2011, 07:09 AM

570 posts, read 733,721 times
Quote:
Squall you seem to forget even Muhammad called Christians and Jews people of the book.

Each religion has their sacred book. Part of getting respect is giving respect.
If Muslims want to have their beliefs, and book respected they need to show that being directed towards others.
I do believe Christians and Jews are originally people of the book , every muslims must believe that .. other wise he/she is not a muslim , there for we must respect that fact .. it's not a choice for us .
But we also believe the two books were distorted as the Quran said .
In the Quran, descriptions befit God , He does not eat, drink, sleep etc. In the Bible, God is ignorant, wrestles with Jacob and loses, sleep, and many more descriptions in the Bible would be considered as blasphemous in the Quran .
Tahrif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-08-2011, 07:28 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
I do believe Christians and Jews are originally people of the book , every muslims must believe that .. other wise he/she is not a muslim , there for we must respect that fact .. it's not a choice for us .
But we also believe the two books were distorted as the Quran said .
In the Quran, descriptions befit God , He does not eat, drink, sleep etc. In the Bible, God is ignorant, wrestles with Jacob and loses, sleep, and many more descriptions in the Bible would be considered as blasphemous in the Quran .
Tahrif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no respect in believing that our books are distorted and blasphemous..

That is like saying to a friend I like you while stabbing him in the back....

Religions that say they have respect need to show respect.....

Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
In the Bible, God is ignorant, wrestles with Jacob and loses, sleep, and many more descriptions in the Bible would be considered as blasphemous in the Quran .
I do not know which Bible you're reading, but in my Bible, Yaacov (Jacob) wrestles with an Angel, not G-d.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 PM

397 posts, read 608,513 times
Quote:
The original Qur'an does not exist. When the prophet died there were many who had memorize portions of it and there were many parts of it written down. There was not just one Qur'an. All the sources were brought together and a the Qur'an was compiled and codified into the canon of today. So it did not just become a book as it was being revealed to Muhammad. Many year passed after his death before it was written down all together.

The first was compiled by Abu Bakr after 70 reciters were killed in the battle of Yamama. Several hand written copies of the complete book were produced. Later as Islam spread out of the Arabian peninsula Uthman around 650 CE produced what is the official standard version. There had up to this point been different variations of the text but they were collected and burned.

An even older Qur'an has been found here is the link: The Syro-Aramaic Reading of the Koran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUmkloE78Kw&feature=player_embedded#at=28"]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUmkl...embedded#at=28

The first Quran was not only written in arabic, but in Syriac/Aramiac
i am not sure where your getting your information from because the fact of the matter is the prophet and his companions memorized the entire quran during the lifetime of the prophet.

even more people memorized it after his death. its hard to forget a chapter when you recite it all the time. even today you can hear a song on the radio and after listening to it so much you could literally re-write the entire so so its not impossible.

i really wouldnt start getting into the quran though because i can guarantee you that hasnt changed in over 1400 years. the original text i can go look at in my quran here at my house. the same way it was written 1400 years ago. does the ORIGINAL one as far as the paper the prophets companions and others write on? idk know to be honest but that is not important. the book itself is not important, its what has been written and memorized by thousands, gods word, that is imrortant. it doesnt matter if it was written on old leather, if it was written in blue or black ink, it doesnt even matter if all the original ones were like i said before, tossed into the ocean, because in a matter of a couple of days we can re-write the original quran. thats a fact. and if god said "divine" we write "divine", if god said "need" we write "need", etc. nothing changes from one version to the next because there has always been and always will be, only ONE version. and god has promised that that will not change until the day of judgement.

the angel gabriel used to come to the prophet and repeat a chapter in the quran 7 times, and then he would go and reveal it and people would write it down. so yes, people not only memorized it but wrote it down as well. the quran IS gods words according my religion. it has not changed nor been tampered with.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Squall you seem to forget even Muhammad called Christians and Jews people of the book.

Each religion has their sacred book. Part of getting respect is giving respect.
If Muslims want to have their beliefs, and book respected they need to show that being directed towards others.
TRUE, the prophet, pbuh, did refer to christians and jews as people of the book. the main focus when talking about the three major religions (christianity, judaism and islam) is that they all worship, ESSENTIALLY the same god. Jews, Christians, and Muslims all believe in the creator of he heavens and of the earth, mankind and all that exist, etc. the differences are that jews do not accept christ or muhammad. the christians do not accept muhammad. and the muslims believe in all the prophets, peace be upon them.

as far as "wanting to have our beliefs and book respected". its really not up to me. god guides whom he wills and there is none who can misguide. i can only show the door to people but they're the ones who sincerely have to want to walk through it. i can prove the bible talks about muhammad. but some will not believe. i can prove that god changes his mind in the bible when at the same time it says he does not change, but only some will see that. i mean the prophet, pbuh, showed miracles in front of people, and yet they still chose not to believe. i am no prophet but i do believe what god says is true, that being the fact that there will always be christians, there will always be jews, there will always be pagans, etc. if this weren't true then god would be a liar. so people will choose their own path. but there is only ONE path that goes to god.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
First, you can't change God's Word. Why? Because if God says ABC, and you rewrite it to say XYZ, that doesn't change what God said. That is just you lying to people.

As far as I am concerned, the King James Version (KJV) from 1611 is the original. I say this because it was the first version in English and therefore the oldest version I can read. Some of the other versions came out to modernize the language, away from the old English and state it in the language more modern people use. Others, I believe, exist only to mislead people. Then you have the people out there who don't like any of it and will hate you for even wanting to know.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
biblical scholars have confirmed that 1 John 5:7 is an interpolation. and was inserted into the bibles of today. this is why when you look at the new revised standard version of the bible, the one re-written by the biblical scholars this verse does not exist in there.

the concept of the trinity itself was not adopted by christians until 300 years after the departure of jesus. there is not a trace of this verse before the 4th century. there were thousands of prophets before christ and including christ himself, peace be upon them, never spoke of a trinity. if the fact that there has in faact always been a trinity then the jews would believe in a trinity. surely god would have mentioned himself as three before christ was upon us. but the fact is jews do not, because none of the prophets ever spoke of a trinity.

im only saying this so you may research it for yourself. im not here to bash on you for what you believe. just trying to show you something.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:34 PM

as a sidenote i must say it is amazing how we've managed to stay on the same topic "how could you change gods word" this whole time. usually the topic gets lost after the 3rd or 4th page. but i know that if you go to the first or last page its still on topic. good job keep it up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality