Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 06:41 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,920,995 times

Advertisements

Japan has a minor Christian population. Their major alternate religion is Shinto. It also has many many atheists, and Buddhists.

This morning, the fifth-most-massive earthquake in the past 100+ years, an estimated 8.9 on the Richter Scale, hit Japan with a geological epicenter near Tokyo. The consequences will be enormous and long-term, requiring the concentrated financial and spiritual help of America and the rest of the caring Western world. (I wonder if the Muslim world will also provide any aid? Let's watch for that!).

Our thoughts, and prayers if you wish, should be with these fine people in this monumental tragedy.

Peace and Love!

Old 03-11-2011, 06:48 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,013 times
No it is not from G-d. There have also been tsunamis set off that have hit Hawaii and will make it to the US West coast. The Tsunami hit the area of Pearl Harbor.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:50 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
No.

It was an earthquake.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
Well as "God" created the Earth the way it is I guess "God" must be responsible. Little excuse of "free will" for this one. Unless some evil foreign power free willed the destruction as a conscious act ?

I forgot , God works in mysterious ways, he has a plan for us , blah, blah, blah , I am sure that is of great comfort to the relatives of the victims.

God never seems to take responsibily for anything at all. I am constantly preached to by right winger Christians about personal responsibility , I guess the big guy in the sky is exempt from that one ?

It's not OK to have Universal Health Coverage and is anti-American as it goes against the concept of personal responsibility but "God" creates our universe including natural disasters and all of a sudden the concept goes out of the window ? "Do as I say not as I do" would seem an excellent new motto for this supernatural being.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:49 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,247 times
First Christchurch and the lesbians who caused it, probably in Japan it will be the anime stuff's fault.

Was reading comments on Huffpo and one guy asked, has Pat Robertson blamed anyone yet?

Of course, wars and rumors of wars and massive earthquakes will feed the fear frenzy of believers for awhile, I mean look how close we are to May 2011 and the Mayan end 2012.

Jokes aside, it must really suck to be in an earthquake. I only experienced a quake once where the cups rattled and the house shook a bit. That was 40 years ago. We don't get much of that here in Southern Africa, no fault lines nearby.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:52 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
It was a natural occurance..God did not make it happen..

Whenever there is a tragedy of this magnitude it is people helping people, (because I believe everyone is good deep down) with no thought about who has what religion..

I will say a prayer (because I am a believer) as I donate to the immediate aid organization of my choice..

Old 03-11-2011, 09:10 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,736,593 times
OP, it's Christians like you who give other Christians a bad name. Shame ony you for using God's name on other people's suffering..!

Old 03-11-2011, 09:17 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,247 times
graceC, OP is an atheist but having known him for awhile, there will be blame apportioned to some innocent irrelevant persons who are being judged by god.

Of course, this is just nature being natural.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:20 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Japan has a minor Christian population. Their major alternate religion is Shinto. It also has many many atheists, and Buddhists.

This morning, the fifth-most-massive earthquake in the past 100+ years, an estimated 8.9 on the Richter Scale, hit Japan with a geological epicenter near Tokyo. The consequences will be enormous and long-term, requiring the concentrated financial and spiritual help of America and the rest of the caring Western world. (I wonder if the Muslim world will also provide any aid? Let's watch for that!).

Our thoughts, and prayers if you wish, should be with these fine people in this monumental tragedy.

Peace and Love!
Using a tragedy for personal axe grinding....stay classy.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:20 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,660,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
OP, it's Christians like you who give other Christians a bad name. Shame ony you for using God's name on other people's suffering..!

Well you can sure tell who the new people are, the OP is not a Christian and he is being a little facetious........ Just goes to show you that the earth is a natural living thing and the surface plates have a tendency to move, that's what happens when you're billions of years old, it happens, Japan just happens to be in one of the most active earthquake areas in the world so there is no divine power that has caused a natural disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality