Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times

Advertisements

Compare how the Japanese are treating their neighbors during this disaster. Sharing very scarce food and water, even offering some to reporters covering the disaster. No riots, looting, etc. etc.

Look back at how the Citizens of New Orleans reacted toward their neighbors just 6 years ago. Shooting, robbing, rioting, looting, raping, you know acting like followers of a murderous god.

The most christian nation (proclaimed by many christians) shows the least humanity. Based on results, christianity fails miserably.

Oh lord, save me from your followers.

(Let the excuses begin, but I don't judge on rhetoric, but only on results, and christianity was a phenomenal failure in a christian society)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 03:05 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
While I agree with you about the way people are acting, I think there are more aspects to it than simply religion or lack thereof.

The Japanese are a society built around polite customs and this is serving them well in this crisis. The social lubricant of Japanese society is vastly different from the American.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:10 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Compare how the Japanese are treating their neighbors during this disaster. Sharing very scarce food and water, even offering some to reporters covering the disaster. No riots, looting, etc. etc.

Look back at how the Citizens of New Orleans reacted toward their neighbors just 6 years ago. Shooting, robbing, rioting, looting, raping, you know acting like followers of a murderous god.

The most christian nation (proclaimed by many christians) shows the least humanity. Based on results, christianity fails miserably.

(Let the excuses begin, but I don't judge on rhetoric, but only on results, and christianity was a phenomenal failure in a christian society)
I believe I have arrived at the most ridiculous thread I have read and I have read some doozies but this is it, I hope this is not to rhetorical for you.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:25 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:

Look at their source of information, a book filled with murder and violence. The Japanese couldn't be any farther away from that.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:40 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:

I don't think that has anything to do whatsoever with religion.

Religion is just a part of culture, not the whole tamale. Amercians are independant, self-serving, whiny, generally bad at planning ahead and suffer from entitlement issues, which does not help in a disaster situation.

Japanese folks on the other hand are community/group oriented, proud of their heritage, willing to organize and follow directions without question and have been planning for this eventuality for A LONG time. That helps A LOT when SHTF.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
"Humanity is a NON-Christian society.........."

Absolutely!
Just from casual observation one can see that the non-christian societies are structured much differently.
Some of the most greedy, selfish, intolerant, bigoted people are those who claim to be christians.
Not only in behavior after natural disasters, but in everyday life. In the US it's the christians that are adamantly against low income people from receiving healthcare. The same ones are also those who cheer for war and bombing civilians. It's the christians that are the driving force behind various phobias against other religions, gays, races, ethnic groups. It sure seems that christians are anti-social, some just outright religious psychopaths.

How can anyone be proud to be a christian?

Old 03-15-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I believe I have arrived at the most ridiculous thread I have read and I have read some doozies but this is it, I hope this is not to rhetorical for you.
Well that is your opinion, but it does not explain the vast difference between how people reacted in NO to a disaster and in Japan, where they have a exponentially greater disaster.

Why you attack it as being ridiculous, as you don't have any way to dispute the facts of vastly different behavior, of course with the supposed christian nation look like uncivilized barbarians.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I don't think that has anything to do whatsoever with religion.

Religion is just a part of culture, not the whole tamale. Amercians are independant, self-serving, whiny, generally bad at planning ahead and suffer from entitlement issues, which does not help in a disaster situation.

Japanese folks on the other hand are community/group oriented, proud of their heritage, willing to organize and follow directions without question and have been planning for this eventuality for A LONG time. That helps A LOT when SHTF.
But christians blow constantly about how wonderful and peaceful their religion is, that it is the solution, and that if only everyone would submit to the nonsense we would live an a utopia of a society.

The reality is, of all developed countries, we are the most uncivil.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:52 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
Quote:
But christians blow constantly about how wonderful and peaceful their religion is, that it is the solution, and that if only everyone would submit to the nonsense we would live an a utopia of a society.

The reality is, of all developed countries, we are the most uncivil.
Wow... you're saying we're more uncivil than Israel or United Arab Emirates?

I have to disagree with you on that statement.

Being a blow hard isn't just a thing Christians do... evidence of that is on this forum everyday. Plenty of atheists and agnostics feel that the world would be better if religion disappeared. They may be the minority in the US, but they're still blow hards.

I'm agnostic, don't get me wrong, but I don't really think how New Orleans dealt with Katrina had anything to do with religion just like I don't think how Japan is dealing now has to do with religion.

I think Chango is right, it's more that Americans don't prepare and that we generally have crappy attitudes no matter what our religious beliefs are.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Wow... you're saying we're more uncivil than Israel or United Arab Emirates?
Based on how the average citizen treats average citizen, absolutely. Of course Israel, Northern Ireland have some really uncivil moments, but what is the driving force behind those? Oh yea, belief in gods

We are also the last industrialized nation to employ the death penalty. Percentage wise we have the greatest percentage of our citizens imprisoned, and 2nd place isn't even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality