Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 08:58 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Why O why do you paint with such a broad brush? You probably don't realize that you have expressed a form of bigotry.

I will explain. There are many, if not most christians who view gay people as OK. Yet you have decided that all religious people are anti-gay. That is akin to saying all Mexicans are drug dealing gansters. Just because a small minority are, doesn't make it true for all Mexicans.

I would suggest that you look in the mirror and ask yourself: "am I a bigot?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Nowhere did I say all religious people are bigots. You have put the "broad brush" in your own hand. However I stand by my statement that the anti-gay fervor in this country is fueled by religion.
I think you need a mirror. Maybe run this by a third party. Just sayin'.

You are saying that religious folk are bigots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
I think you need a mirror. Maybe run this by a third party. Just sayin'.

You are saying that religious folk are bigots.
I am your third party....

What is the matter with you? Can't you read? He said.. "the anti-gay fervor in this country is fueled by religion." Most anti-gay people are that way because that is how they interpret their holy books, particularly Christians and Muslims...Show me an anti-gay person, and I'll give you ten to one odds that he/she is either a Christian or a Muslim...Are you willing to take that bet?...That is the truth, like it or not. Not ALL religious folks are bigots, and he didn't say they were.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:11 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,139,463 times
Quote:
There are many, if not most christians who view gay people as OK.

I doubt many homosexuals would agree with your statement.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:30 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I doubt many homosexuals would agree with your statement.
My older child is a transsexual. She agrees with my statement.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
My older child is a transsexual. She agrees with my statement.
So what? That doesn't make it true...Take a look at any gay thread here or on the Christian forum...That may clear things up for you.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:14 AM

659 posts, read 1,102,337 times
To paraphrase John Stuart Mill, religious people are not necessarily homophobes, but most homophobes are religious people.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:17 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
The "You are perfect and wonderful the way you are" makes me cringe because I think that's the kind of narcissism we keep encouraging on kids. It doesn't matter if you're gay or straight or bi or a pacifist or whatever if you're a teenager you are not "perfect and wonderful as you are." You have things to learn, improvements to make, etc even if you are being mistreated.

Most of it though is fine. I think orthodox Christians sometimes have a concern with things like this that it's encouraging kids to just go with their same-sex desires. And I think that is what it ultimately wants, it's not like it has any members of gay celibate groups in it (and yes they exist), but it's mostly vague on that and it's main thing seems to be to not let people make you feel worthless or hopeless. And that's good. Gay teens should have a hope for a better life, and avoid suicide or despair, however they'd define a better life.

Would an ad like that have been helpful to me when I was in High School? Probably not. I think I would have felt, almost instantly, that these were people not from "my world" and that anything they have to say is irrelevant to my life. That being said the statement they make is largely true. My life did get better once I went to college and dealt with a more diverse group of people. And I largely made peace with the same-sex attraction thing even if not in the way I think they would prefer.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:05 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,327,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
This commercial played during American Idol this week (I missed it, I guess) and I heard some radio hosts (Rick & Bubba) talking about it the next day.

YouTube - Google Chrome: It Gets Better

Rick and Bubba are devout Christians. They said that they couldn't believe that such a commercial aired, and one of them said they had to shield their child from watching it. Mind you, the commercial was not about violence, or nudity, but get this.............hope. A commercial giving hope to teens that may be bullied or feeling alone, to let them know that they are not alone and that things DO get better. Now does the fact that the commercial focuses on giving hope to gay teens, make any difference? A teen in need of help and support, is a teen in need of help and support, right?

How can a christian view any of this as bad? To the point of shielding their child from watching? If I were a parent, I would want my child to watch it. Not only for their sake (because who knows if they might feel bullied or alone at school), but to be aware of others who might be going through such a thing. How can the message to "have hope that things will get better" be a bad thing?
When will people realize that hating someone or thinking less of someone because of their race, sex, religion, and yes...sexual orientation is wrong. When will people realize that we are in fact all simply human? Why do we need social terms to classify us? I am a human, nothing more nothing less. I embrace other people not for their social label, but because they are human.

I read about this in a local paper today. I took the pledge.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:13 AM

I would find any Christian that was offended by this offensive.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:19 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,327,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I would find any Christian that was offended by this offensive.
I agree. I work with some people that feel homosexuality is wrong, unnatural, a sin even. Of course when asked for proof that it is unnatural I ask for proof and they offer none. I ask for proof it is a sin and that sin is real. The offer the bible, I then usually ask... where in the bible. They usually respond, it's in there.

I then ask them how they feel about lesbians or Bisexual girls. (I work with mostly men)

They all think lesbians and bisexual girls are ok. It is only wrong when men are homosexual. I then give them a lesson in double standards. They don't see it that way. One even said the bible never said anything about women being homosexual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality