Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 03:29 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,579,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Thomas, you only seem to speak of self-centred desires and lust when it comes to gays and lesbians. It suggests that you have never experienced the profound joy of being in a long term, deep, loving committed relationship with someone. A relationship where the gift of love-making is only one aspect which brings two people even closer together through emotional, spiritual and physical intimacy. Many gay and lesbian couples I know who have been together for a long time are also dedicated and loving parents raising children.

Can you not see that it's kind of insulting to reduce the loving relationships and families of millions of gay and lesbian couples down to selfish sex, lust and desire that must be "struggled against"?
I'm aware homosexuals can be in long-term loving relationships. I have a cousin in such. It doesn't mean I see romantic relationships as necessary or desirable for people with said attractions. Or see it as better than other things.

Quote:
I hope one day that you will find this kind of love with someone who loves you as much as you love them - whether a woman or a man. You might then develop the empathy and understanding you seek.
Well that's well-intentioned and sweet. From my perspective it's also more than a little insulting as I think I know what's better for my life than you do.

If living as you do is what you want than that's your way and none of my business. As long as you don't interfere with my group or it's belief that that's not what's intended for gays or what have you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 04:13 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,399,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'm aware homosexuals can be in long-term loving relationships. I have a cousin in such. It doesn't mean I see romantic relationships as necessary or desirable for people with said attractions. Or see it as better than other things.

Well that's well-intentioned and sweet. From my perspective it's also more than a little insulting as I think I know what's better for my life than you do.

If living as you do is what you want than that's your way and none of my business. As long as you don't interfere with my group or it's belief that that's not what's intended for gays or what have you.
Unfortunately, it's your "group" and it's beliefs who are interfering with gay and lesbian people, not the other way around.

I find it sad that you think you need to be alone and celibate your whole life... and that's what you think your God wants for you. But that's your choice.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
No human being should be persecuted for his preferences. That is not what the Bible teaches. Anyone who persecutes homosexuals for being homosexual is a hipocrite. What the Bible does say is to counsel or inform others of the biblical hope of salvation. Of course this does entail revealing what God has to say in the Bible about adultery, fornication, murder and other such things. But the Bible defnitely does NOT tell Christians to persecute people.

Neither are Christians authorized to determine who will or who will not gain eternal life in the long run. That is entirely in God's hands since he is the one who being omniscient and allwise is entitled and qualified to judge. All a Christian is authorized to do is to point out what behaviors are approved and which are condemned. The rest is ultimately between the person and the creator.
Really? Where does it say that in the Bible?

And who gets to decide which behaviours are "approved and which are condemned"? Which laws do you follow and which do you conveniently ignore? Whose interpretation do you follow?
Or do you think God speaks to you personally and tells you what he wants you to tell other people for Him?

Old 05-14-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
This deserves to be repeated. (and maybe put on a billboard.)
Jaymax... so beautifully said and such an incredibly important point!!
Thank you. I get so tired of people who feel the need to dehumanize gay people and their families by reducing their whole lives down to acts of sex and lust.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:04 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,591,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm a Christian (LDS) and I wasn't offended by it in the slightest.
Ditto for me!

Old 05-14-2011, 06:59 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,579,946 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, it's your "group" and it's beliefs who are interfering with gay and lesbian people, not the other way around.
We're pretty much just maintaining the status quo. Same-sex marriage doesn't even exist in secular France and has no history in the US.

I don't favor gays being denied any right specifically stated in the US Constitution. They/You should certainly have the right to speak, have newspapers, own guns, vote, etc. Plausibly if a gay person commits a crime they should even be judged by a jury of their peers i.e. gay people.

Quote:
I find it sad that you think you need to be alone and celibate your whole life... and that's what you think your God wants for you. But that's your choice.
I think you're projecting what it sounds like to you onto me. I am not alone. I have five siblings, nine nephews, three nieces, both my parents are alive, and I have colleagues at the University. And I have the people I met in my lecture series at the retirement home. As well as God, the saints, and so forth.

And as I'm attracted to women too I could marry and be non-celibate if I desired that. I don't.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 05-14-2011 at 08:24 PM..

Old 05-14-2011, 07:49 PM

869 posts, read 973,162 times
Quote:
Really? Where does it say that in the Bible?
[LEFT]And who gets to decide which behaviors are "approved and which are condemned"? Which laws do you follow and which do you conveniently ignore? Whose interpretation do you follow?
Or do you think God speaks to you personally and tells you what he wants you to tell other people for Him?

All your questions, which are based on defective premesis, indicate a profound deficiency in biblical knowledge that is required for intelligent productive discussion. Neither do I sense a sincere desire to know. Only the urge to disagree. So let's just agree to disagree.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post

All your questions, which are based on defective premesis, indicate a profound deficiency in biblical knowledge that is required for intelligent productive discussion. Neither do I sense a sincere desire to know. Only the urge to disagree. So let's just agree to disagree.

All your answers, which are based on defective premesis, indicate a profound deficiency in biblical knowledge that is required for intelligent productive discussion. Neither do I sense a sincere desire to know. Only the urge to disagree. So let's just agree to disagree

Old 05-14-2011, 09:30 PM

869 posts, read 973,162 times
Fair enough!

Old 05-14-2011, 11:20 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,403,309 times
I would not find this offensive because this would be a good opportunity to talk to my child about sharing the Hope we have in Christ to others. No, I'm not talking about "converting" ether. It is about helping teens who are bully, and I do believe that Christians should step up to stop this madness also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality