Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,333,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
That's because you consider darkness light.

Isaiah 5:2
Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.

Malachi 2:17
You have wearied the LORD with your words. "How have we wearied him?" you ask. By saying, "All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them"

Romans 1:26-27
Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

BTW
I am not saying that homosexuals don't have a right to live in any manner they choose. Neither am I saying that they should be persecuted. All I'm saying is that the Bible does not approve of homosexuality. Apart from that anything else is between them and God since he is the one who ultimately decides what our eternal destiny will be. However, if indeed we accept that he is the author of the Bible-then he obvioulsly does NOT condone homosexuality and trying to prove otherwise is a complete waste of time and totally counterproductive.
According to that bolded text above, God created them. He allowed them to be. How many times has the bible stated that God smite someone...Anyone...Anyone...

I would like to now, point out my favorite piece of ammo that all christian forget in this argument over homosexuality.

John 8:2-11 (King James Version)

2And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. 3And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
6This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

8And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
9And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
10When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
11She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

If you read into the cryptic words of the bible and translate it as Christians do, this passage simple teaches that only those without sin may judge. Since no man or woman is without sin, they cannot judge. According to the bible, Jesus is the only man her without sin, yet he doesn't even judge the women.

And again I must say this... What does the bible say about Animal having homosexual acts? Animals don't have sin do they?

How about...the planet? What does the bible say about this... is it still flat?

Sorry, but the bible was written by men, men who themselves were corrupted by greed, power, and lust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
The they tell us it s wrong cause they hate us BS again!

In these passages homosexuality is condemned as a prime example of sin, a sexual perversion. The Christian can neither alter God's viewpoint nor depart from it. The problem arises NOT because Christians are trying to force these people to leave their immorality behind. Tha problem arises becase THEY INSIST that we trash the Bible for their sake. That's why the problem arises. That prideful stubborn, disrespectful attitude which is even capable of attacking the Lord Jesus himself is what is perpetuating this situation.

As for judging, we are definitely told to differentiate between sin and righteousness and good and evil behavior and speak of it positively or negatively as the situation demands. So this "don't judge" demand is based on a convenient misunderstanding of what "do not judge" is really referring to.

BTW
This ridiculous effort by an army or totally unqualified preople who have given the Bible only a cursory reading if at all attempting to interpret the Bible is a phenomenon that you don't see with any other sacred book. Certainly not with the Koran. People who comment on the Koran are those who have taken the time to study it profoundly. Yet the Bible tends to draw hosts of these clowns all with their own personal views and agendas and wild incoherent contradictory ideas. Wonder why? My tentative explanation is that the fault lies with the customary traditional buffoonery of their clergy who themselves are ill informed and have no respect fore the book they are supposed to represent. So the attitude trickles down to the laity who follow suit.

Actually the shallowness of their knowldege can be seen by the constant mindless droning of the same words, slogans, and gripes ad infinitum. The glaring fallascious reasoning which entails inconsistency cardstacking, ridicule, namecalling, and complainming.n of course such a modus operandi doesn't take much effort. For example just say "Umm you hate us!" every single time. or "Your a bigot!" and that's it. You can walk away as if you proved something. To be honest, from this point on whenever someone comes with the same you hate us or your a bigot BS I will imediately place the person on my ignore list and be done with it. That is fair enough since it is more than obvious that such persons are inmcaspoable or unwilling to hold a decent human conversation.

Enough said!
It is not weather the bible says homosexuality is wrong. It is about how hipocrytical the people spouting this stuff are. They condemn one act, while ignoring another. Think of how many times Christians have gotten divorced? How many had sex before marriage? How many cheat on their spouse? How many lust after another? How many do you think are honest on all aspects of their life?

But, let me guess... It's not about them? It's about the homosexuals who are defying God's word? I have heard from some that homosexuals are the way they are because they do not know gods word. Really? Then tell me what are all those priests doing in the church? I am sure you know which ones. IF they knew gods word they wouldn't have done what they did.

Sorry, but this is the biggest hypocrisy since... well to be honest, the bible is full of it, as are it's followers. And I once was a follower. I still feel that the christian faith and the bible can offer some good to the world, just not when it comes to what is moral or not.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 AM

869 posts, read 975,188 times
Quote:
It is not weather the bible says homosexuality is wrong. It is about how hipocrytical the people spouting this stuff are. They condemn one act, while ignoring another. Think of how many times Christians have gotten divorced? How many had sex before marriage? How many cheat on their spouse? How many lust after another? How many do you think are honest on all aspects of their life?
Is that what the thread is about? I could have sworn it was about the Bible saying one thing clearly but meaning another.

Quote:
But, let me guess... It's not about them? It's about the homosexuals who are defying God's word?
This is the only logical accurate statement you made in this whole post.

Quote:
I have heard from some that homosexuals are the way they are because they do not know gods word. Really?
If you didn't hear it from me then why bring it to me? Take it to those that made that statement.

Instead of guessing about person's beliefs and proceeding mindlessly to accuse, why not familiarize yourself with what the person previously posted and save yourself some time by not making irrelevant baseless accusations?

Quote:
Proverbs 18:13
He that answereth a matter before he heareth [it], it [is] folly and shame unto him.

Quote:
Then tell me what are all those priests doing in the church? I am sure you know which ones. IF they knew gods word they wouldn't have done what they did.
Tell you about things I never said? Are you joking?

Quote:
Sorry, but this is the biggest hypocrisy since...
I just finished saying in a recent post that most people claiming Christianitry are hypocrites. But hey! You don't need to read any of that. You KNOW what I believe via guessing-right?

Quote:
well to be honest, the bible is full of it, as are it's followers.
That's a ridiculously self contradictory statemenmt. Followers without following aren't followers at all. At least to those of us who understand English and simple logic. Please note the very important word 'IF" in Jesus's statement below.

Quote:
John 8:31
Jesus said to the people who believed in him, "You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings.
As to the Bible being full of bad examples? That's yet another statement that shows just how unqualified you are to say anything at all about the Bible. You see, your premise is un-biblically skewed. All things were written in the Bible for a purpose. Some as examples of good behavior, others as warnings of the consequences for bad behavior. You on the other hand can't see the forest for the trees.

Quote:
1Cor 10:11
Now these things happened to them as an example, but they were written down for our instruction,

Romans 15:4
For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

2 Timothy 3:16
Every Scripture passage is inspired by God. All of them are useful for teaching, pointing out errors, correcting people, and training them for a life that has God's approval.

Tell me, how is it that despite your obvious irrationality and lack of preparation to discuss a Holy Book you dare to posture as knowledgeable about it? Do you really think that your obvious lack of accurate knowledge will go undetected? Or are you simply posting in full knowledge that you are stating inanities in order to annoy? Pray tell.

Quote:
And I once was a follower. I still feel that the christian faith and the bible can offer some good to the world, just not when it comes to what is moral or not

Judging by what you just wrote I can only imagine with horror just how it was that you were purporting to FOLLOW a book you totally didn't understand. Yikes!

Quote:
Matthew 15:14
....If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit."

BTW
It's not "weather" it's "whether".

Last edited by Radrook; 05-19-2011 at 09:56 AM..

Old 05-19-2011, 09:44 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,088,836 times
As a general rule if two guys on radio named Rick and Bubba don't like something.. I probably think its awesome.. and I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
This commercial played during American Idol this week (I missed it, I guess) and I heard some radio hosts (Rick & Bubba) talking about it the next day.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:05 AM

419 posts, read 366,169 times
I am not Christian but that was pretty awesome.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Is that what the thread is about? I could have sworn it was about the Bible saying one thing clearly but meaning another.
Actually the thread is about an ad that was posted on prime time TV and some people found in offensive. I find it offensive when someone says I am going to burn in purgatory for the things I have done. I don't believe in purgatory, my religion says it doesn't exist.

Quote:
This is the only logical accurate statement you made in this whole post.
This is the blindest statement you have posted yet. You just agreed that it is ok for a Christian to commit a sin, even break the commandments. But, it is ok as long as they aren't homosexual. Like homosexuality was the greatest sin one could commit. Let me ask what is the greatest sin? I know... DO you?

Quote:
If you didn't hear it from me then why bring it to me? Take it to those that made that statement.

Instead of guessing about person's beliefs and proceeding mindlessly to accuse, why not familiarize yourself with what the person previously posted a save yourself some time by not making irrelevant baseless accusations?
Funny thing is, the bible pretty much says this. They sin because they do not no God. But in reality, He who does not know God, does not know sin, therefore cannot commit sin.

Sin is based on the Christian God. If you do not believe in or know of the teachings of this God. You cannot commit sin.

It is like making Zues angry and not even knowing who Zues is. Or better yet, it's like angering someone in TX you have never had contact with and don't even know they exist.

Quote:
Tell you about things I never said? Are you joking?
I never said you did. I was asking a question.

Quote:
I just finished saying in a recent post that most people claiming Christianitry are hipocrites. But hey! You don't need to read any of that. You KNOW what I believe via guessing-right?
I apologize, I must have missed that. And based on the comment that I was responding to I was able to form an opinion on your beliefs. If it is wrong correct me by telling me how and not just denying it.

Quote:
That's a ridiculously self contradictory statemenmt. Followers without following aren't followers at all. At least to those of us who understand English and simple logic. Please note the very important word 'IF" in Jesus's statement below.
I don't think you understood what I was saying.

Quote:
As to the Bible being full of bad examples? That's yet another statement that shows just how unqualified you are to say anything at all about the Bible. You see, your premise is unbiblically skewed. All things were written in the Bible for a purpose. Some as examples of good behavior, others as warnings of the consequences for bad behavior. You on the other hand can't see the forest for the trees.
Let me guess, some things are in need of interpretation? No, sorry but the bible is such a jumbled mess it is impossible to follow it to the letter as it has been altered and ruined over thousands of years. It is full of corruption and misguided attempts at teaching morals.

Quote:
Tell me, how is it that despite your obvious irrationality and lack of preparation to discuss a Holy Book you dare to posture as knowlegeable about it? Do you really think that your obvious lack of accurate knowledge will go undetected? Or are you simply posting in full knowledge that you are stating inanities in order to annoy? Pray tell.
I have read the bible many times and I know what it says. I even bought into it for about 15 years. Now I see it for what it is, a philosophical book of ancient teachings that are not able to adapt to modern times.

In other words, the Bible is outdated. It no longer applies to modern times. But, some of the teachings mankind could benefit from... few.

Quote:
Judging by what you just wrote I can only imagine with horror just how it was that you were purporting to FOLLOW a book you totally didn't understand. Yikes!
I understood it so well I was ordained a minister in not one but three churches.

Quote:
BTW
It's not "weather" it's "whether".
OMG!!!

I spelled a word wrong and probably have a number of grammatical errors... God will surely cast down fire and brimstone and when I parish I will burn in purgatory for all eternity for my grammatical errors. I must repent for my grammatical errors defy God.

I once again simply direct you to your own bible...John 8:2-11

In laymen terms so there is no mistake: Only a person without error/fault/wrong-doing/sin/mistake cast the first stone (Stone = Judgement/correction/point out flaw or error).

Jesus, being the only person without error/fault/wrong-doing/sin/mistake refused to cast a stone (Stone = Judgement/correction/point out flaw or error).

Do you understand it now?

How about... We all do what we want with the time we have on earth. Leave others be and don't force them or share our beliefs with them unless asked to by the individual. Allow others to live their life as they see fit, as long as they aren't physically harming someone.

In the end, let God sort them out... Or not.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:44 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,250,251 times
I think it's a wonderful commercial that brings tears to my eyes everytime I watch it. The world could use a little bit more love, hope, and understanding.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:49 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,090,167 times
How dare they make a commercial promoting self-esteem and advocating that a child not hate themselves or commit suicide! How dare they!!!!

Seriously though, the commercial did not promote an agenda, did not serve to incite, did not do any bad mouthing or finger pointing, or even show anybody engaging in acts of "gayness". It seems like the only irrationality is coming from people who can't stand to see anybody stating that even though you feel different and things are really hard don't worry because you are loved, have support, and are a good person so hang in there. How rational is that?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:18 AM

869 posts, read 975,188 times
Quote:
How dare they make a commercial promoting self-esteem and advocating that a child not hate themselves or commit suicide! How dare they!!!!
How dare you accuse Christians of finding self esteem per se, and avoidance of suicide offensive. How dare you also suggest that Christians are advocating that such persons be hated. You are either completely ignorant of Christian fundamentals or are purposefully going out of your way to misrepresent in order to further your agenda. Which one is it?

BTW
There is absolutely no scriptural support for Christian hatred of persons simply because those persons might be deemed to be living un-Christian lives. However, pride of onself as a wilful urepentant habitual sinner who disregards biblical counsel is indeed condemned and certainly not encouraged.

Last edited by Radrook; 05-20-2011 at 09:28 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 09:42 AM

70 posts, read 132,798 times
Just saying, if the Bible says homo-ness is an abomination, it's easy to see why any Bible believer would be offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality