Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:57 AM

869 posts, read 974,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think it's a wonderful commercial that brings tears to my eyes everytime I watch it. The world could use a little bit more love, hope, and understanding.
Does it also bring tears to your eyes when they claim that the Apostle John and Jesus were having coitus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Actually the thread is about an ad that was posted on prime time TV and some people found in offensive. I find it offensive when someone says I am going to burn in purgatory for the things I have done. I don't believe in purgatory, my religion says it doesn't exist.

I am astonished that someone would say that! Well, we have that in common since I don't believe in purgatory either.

Quote:
....You just agreed that it is ok for a Christian to commit a sin, even break the commandments. But, it is OK as long as they aren't homosexual. Like homosexuality was the greatest sin one could commit. Let me ask what is the greatest sin? I know... DO you?

Whoah! I never said that! Maybe you are jumbling my words with those of other posters? I mean if you jumble the Bible then everything is fair game-right? LOL

Quote:
Funny thing is, the bible pretty much says this. They sin because they do not no God. But in reality, He who does not know God, does not know sin, therefore cannot commit sin.
Sin is based on the Christian God. If you do not believe in or know of the teachings of this God. You cannot commit sin.

Well, assuming that the biblical God does exist and that he can judge behavior according to the moral standards that he sets, then it really doesn't matter what our opinions are about him. He will evaluate our behavior and categorize it as just or sinful. It's just like breaking the law. It doesn't matter if I don't believe that the justice system of the USA exists, murder is a crime regardless. My belief or disbelief doesn't affect that one iota.

Quote:
It is like making Zeus angry and not even knowing who Zeus is. Or better yet, it's like angering someone in TX you have never had contact with and don't even know they exist.

I though we were conversing under the assumption that the Christian God exists and that he is not equivalent to these other Micky Mouse gods such as Zeus, Thor, Loki, Moloch, Marduk, and so forth. If indeed that is your belief then we have no common ground for discussion.

Quote:
I apologize, I must have missed that. And based on the comment that I was responding to I was able to form an opinion on your beliefs. If it is wrong correct me by telling me how and not just denying it.
My apologies as well. I later found that the post I thought was here is on another thread.

Quote:
I don't think you understood what I was saying.
Then please express yourself a little more precisely my friend.

Quote:
Let me guess, some things are in need of interpretation? No, sorry but the bible is such a jumbled mess it is impossible to follow it to the letter as it has been altered and ruined over thousands of years. It is full of corruption and misguided attempts at teaching morals.

It all depends on how we choose to view things.

Quote:
Luke 11:34 Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eyes are good, your whole body also is full of light. But when they are bad, your body also is full of darkness.
One person reads the Bible and comes away with valuable lessons. Another comes away with the desire to imitate badness. It all depends. Paul wrote to Timothy that all things written were for our edification. You call it a corruption and jumbled mess. Sorry but I prefer to believe Paul.

Quote:
I have read the bible many times and I know what it says. I even bought into it for about 15 years. Now I see it for what it is, a philosophical book of ancient teachings that are not able to adapt to modern times.

In other words, the Bible is outdated. It no longer applies to modern times. But, some of the teachings mankind could benefit from... few.

Mankind is mankind and STILL mankind and still has the immoral inclinations of thousands of years ago. If indeed morals have changed so drastically, then you should be in favor of murder, rape, theft, child abuse, pedophilia, and al the other things that the Bible condemns. But you aren't are you?

Quote:
I understood it so well I was ordained a minister in not one but three churches.
The Popes were ordained also and had people skinned alive, tongues and eyes ripped out-tortured into confessing things they didn't do, disemboweled via devilishly designed hand-cranked machines as they smilingly and sanctimoniously approved. So being ordained guarantees nothing.

BTW
Sorry about pointing out a typo. As you said-we all make them and I am no exception. Thanx for bringing that to my attention.

Last edited by Radrook; 05-20-2011 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 10:27 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,088,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
How dare you accuse Christians of finding self esteem per se, and avoidance of suicide offensive. How dare you also suggest that Christians are advocating that such persons be hated. You are either completely ignorant of Christian fundamentals or are purposefully going out of your way to misrepresent in order to further your agenda. Which one is it?

BTW
There is absolutely no scriptural support for Christian hatred of persons simply because those persons might be deemed to be living un-Christian lives. However, pride of onself as a wilful urepentant habitual sinner who disregards biblical counsel is indeed condemned and certainly not encouraged.
I am referring to those who find it offensive, whether christian or not. Would you prefer that everybody take blanket offense to it? I don't care what religious affiliation somebody is. If they are going so far as to hide their children from a universally positive message due to the people on the commercial's orientation, they are irrational. Lighten up with the finger wagging.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Does it also bring tears to your eyes when they claim that the Apostle John and Jesus were having coitus?
Where did they claim this in the commercial, and of what relevence is it to anything at all related to the honesty and beauty of the message conveyed in the commercial? You are not making any sense...

Old 05-20-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I am referring to those who find it offensive, whether Christian or not.
Sorry! Since this forum is a Christian one I assumed they were being referred to by default.
Quote:
Would you prefer that everybody take blanket offense to it?
What I prefer is insignificant. It's what God prefers that counts.
Quote:
I don't care what religious affiliation somebody is. If they are going so far as to hide their children from a universally positive message due to the people on the commercial's orientation, they are irrational.
Isn't that expectation a bit out of touch with the reality of human nature? Orientation could be communist, fascist, sadist, murderous, you name it. The message is drowned out by the orientation sometimes. It's like Charles Manson waxing melodic about kindness or Hitler talking about love. A responsible parent will evaluate such an orientation, decide whether he wants his kids to imitate it or not in harmony with his moral or religious convictions-and act accordingly. To expect otherwise is to put it mildly-a bit unrealistic.
Quote:
Lighten up with the finger wagging.
Ummm, seems like you are offended by an imitation of your own modus operandi my friend. Thanx for the advice anyway.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Sorry! Since this forum is a Christian one I assumed they were being referred to by default.

What I prefer is insignificant. It's what God prefers that counts.

Isn't that expectation a bit out of touch with the reality of human nature? Orientation could be communist, fascist, sadist, murderous, you name it. The message is drowned out by the orientation sometimes. It's like Charles Manson waxing melodic about kindness or Hitler talking about love. A responsible parent will evaluate such an orientation, decide whether he wants his kids to imitate it or not in harmony with his moral or religious convictions-and act accordingly. To expect otherwise is to put it mildly-a bit unrealistic.

Ummm, seems like you are offended by an imitation of your own modus operandi my friend. Thanx for the advice anyway.
I am not finger wagging, I am just curious as to why you are so set on defending opposition to the commercial as though it is something offensive and vile. I can understand being opposed to homosexuality, I just don't understand why some people feel like they are not worthy of reaching out to others in need. There has been a lot of focus on bullying in the news on vulnerable populations, and the message in commercial was very pro-life, pro-unity, pro-understanding, positive, and empathetic. Even though it might have been aimed at young gay people, a group who is often the target of tortuous bullying and more likely to commit suicide or have severe psychosocial issues due to a general lack of societal and parental acceptance, the message is universal and the content can be applied to virtually anybody who feels alone and helpless. Of the gay people in the commercial (who by the way not all of them were), I thought there was no agenda setting or baiting in the least, which is what I hear the opposition imply.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:25 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,234,111 times
Quote:
I'm not Christian. I don't care what people say about John and Jesus. I've never heard people say anything like that anyeway - nor would I care if they did. What I do care about is bring more love and understanding to the people that are living in the here and now. If that commercial can help just one person to not kill themselves or help one person accept themselves for who they are - I think it has accomplished some good in the world.

If you have a problem with this - feel free to spread hatred and bigotry. Hopefully this kind of mentality will soon die out. One can only hope.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I am not finger wagging, I am just curious as to why you are so set on defending opposition to the commercial as though it is something offensive and vile. I can understand being opposed to homosexuality, I just don't understand why some people feel like they are not worthy of reaching out to others in need. There has been a lot of focus on bullying in the news on vulnerable populations, and the message in commercial was very pro-life, pro-unity, pro-understanding, positive, and empathetic. Even though it might have been aimed at young gay people, a group who is often the target of tortuous bullying and more likely to commit suicide or have severe psychosocial issues due to a general lack of societal and parental acceptance, the message is universal and the content can be applied to virtually anybody who feels alone and helpless. Of the gay people in the commercial (who by the way not all of them were), I thought there was no agenda setting or baiting in the least, which is what I hear the opposition imply
Sure the message is universal but humans can't separate the messenger from the message in the irrational way you demand because humans have certain moral values which interefere with that kind of objetive response.

Neither am I insensitive to the predicament that such individuals undergo within a society that generally views Homosexuality as a stigma. It is really unfortunate that people should suffer that way. Neither am I advocating persecution nor encouraging it. That would be Satanic and definitely not Christian. All I am saying is that trying to push homosexuality as a non-sin or as normal is simply unbiblical, and is ultimately counterproductive. Especially when it involves savage attacks against the sacred beliefs of others.

BTW

I am NOT against anyone trying to protect himself from violence and neither do I approve of such violence against anyone. Why you think I take offense on that account is beyond me. However, pushing an antibiblical lifestyle as something that everyone should accept as approved of God-which is the unstated sub-theme which is ever-present in such programs, is definitely wrong from my standpoint. That's all I said. Neither does the reputation for accusing Jesus of having sex with one of his Apostles as they commonly do on a routine basis help their cause. Sorry but that's the truth.

Last edited by Radrook; 05-20-2011 at 01:58 PM..

Old 05-20-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I'm not Christian. I don't care what people say about John and Jesus. I've never heard people say anything like that anyway - nor would I care if they did.
Really? I thought non Christians would be terribly offended. I am flabbergasted! Thanx for the profound revelation!
Quote:
What I do care about is bring more love and understanding to the people that are living in the here and now.
Your idea of love not the Bible's and I don't go by your ideas I go by the Bible's. You see the Bible tells us that to encourage sin is to help a person feel comfy in his road to perdition. In other words, to seal his doom. Sorry but sealing someone's doom by winking at his sin isn't my idea of love.

Quote:
Matt 7: 13Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.
It's yours? OK. But certainly not mine.

Quote:
If that commercial can help just one person to not kill themselves or help one person accept themselves for who they are - I think it has accomplished some good in the world.
You can't blame Christianity for the suicide of people who commit suicide because they can't handle a society that doesn' approve of their behavior. Actually, such suicides aren't usually associated with run-of-the-mill homosexuality. They are associated with the condition called psychological dissonance wherein the person is beset by obsessive homo thoughts he can't control but finds repulsive. That's why homosexuals who feel comfortable with themselves are classified as normal by the psychiatric profession whereas these dissonance individuals are considered mentally ill.

Quote:
If you have a problem with this - feel free to spread hatred and bigotry. Hopefully this kind of mentality will soon die out. One can only hope.
LOL! That's the strawman you set up in my name so you can posture by seeming to take the high moral ground? You are so transparent it's laughable my friend. Anyway! Have fun attacking your own ideas! It beats twiddling your thumbs-right?

BTW
The "They just hate me!" complaint has grown old. Try something else.

Last edited by Radrook; 05-20-2011 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-20-2011, 02:30 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,234,111 times
Quote:
Really? I thought non Christians would be terribly offended. I am flabbergasted! Thanx for the profound revelation!

Your idea of love not the Bible's and I don't go by your ideas I go by the Bible's. You see the Bible tells us that to encourage sin is to help a person feel comfy in his road to perdition. In other words, to seal his doom. Sorry but sealing someone's doom by winking at his sin isn't my idea of love.

It's yours? OK. But certainly not mine.

You can't blame Christianity for the suicide of people who commit suicide because they can't handle a society that doesn' approve of their behavior. Actually, such suicides aren't usually associated with run-of-the-mill homosexuality. They are associated with the condition called psychological dissonance wherein the person is beset by obsessive homo thoughts he can't control but finds repulsive. That's why homosexuals who feel comfortable with themselves are classified as normal by the psychiatric profession whereas these dissonance individuals are considered mentally ill.

LOL! That's the strawman you set up in my name so you can posture by seeming to take the high moral ground? You are so transparent it's laughable my friend. Anyway! Have fun attacking your own ideas! It beats twiddling your thumbs-right?

BTW
The "They just hate me!" complaint has grown old. Try something else.
I think it's funny that you have all these issues with me - and you seem so upset and horrified by my one little comment! I like the commercial. I think the world could do with more love, hope, and understanding. Obviously, you disagree with me on many, many levels! Honestly - judging by your many posts, I really don't value your opinions very much. I have a very different view of what love is from you. I have a very different understanding of right and wrong. If you want to continue to rail against me - that's okay. I still think it's a good commercial with a good message tha can help ease the pain of many people who think there is no hope and love in the world for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality