Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 04:16 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times

Advertisements

That the Universe, with all of its matter, energy, life, physical laws just came to be all on its own. Without a creator/designer. Just look at how an atom is constructed and how it works. Its properties.

Look at DNA. Made up of said atoms. It contains a code that determines what characteristics a life form will have. And then how it figures into the process of evolution, this adaptive process by which humans have come to be. I could go on about mathematics (how it seems to describle most everything) gravity (and how it is a property of matter), time and space and so forth.

And then we build this thinking machines call computers that figure stuff out for.

So what are the odds? From the Big Bang, each event working or not. Having a 1000 events all work in a row. A million.

So obviously the universe is here as are we. That proves nothing.

To me the odds of the Universe coming to be (and humans existing) by chance or simply on it own are...astronomical! Can anyone explain how the universe just came to be? On its own. No outside help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 04:20 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
That the Universe, with all of its matter, energy, life, physical laws just came to be all on its own. Without a creator/designer. Just look at how an atom is constructed and how it works. Its properties.

Look at DNA. Made up of said atoms. It contains a code that determines what characteristics a life form will have. And then how it figures into the process of evolution, this adaptive process by which humans have come to be. I could go on about mathematics (how it seems to describle most everything) gravity (and how it is a property of matter), time and space and so forth.

And then we build this thinking machines call computers that figure stuff out for.

So what are the odds? From the Big Bang, each event working or not. Having a 1000 events all work in a row. A million.

To me the odds of the Universe coming to be (and humans existing) by chance or simply on it own are...astronomical! Can anyone explain how the universe just ame to be?
Well, regardless of what you think of the rest of my beliefs, we're together on this matter.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:02 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:

To me the odds of the Universe coming to be (and humans existing) by chance or simply on it own are...astronomical! Can anyone explain how the universe just came to be? On its own. No outside help.
In my opinion the odds of a naturally occurring universe are immensely better than some imaginary deity creating it all.

Humans exist on one tiny planet out of a possible trillions of planets, but some have an ego that is larger than the entire universe...Humans are not any more special than any other creature....

Evidence...

1 The universe is expanding.

2 The second line of evidence is the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation

3 The theory predicts that certain amounts of hydrogen, helium, and other elements should be seen. Observations have shown almost exactly the amounts that are predicted.

4 The Big Bang theory is the only one that comprehensively lays down a framework for the eventual evolution of the universe as we observe it today.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:21 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
In my opinion the odds of a naturally occurring universe are immensely better than some imaginary deity creating it all.
I would totally agree with you that it's highly unlikely that something imaginary created anything. I don't think an imaginary deity is what Mr5150 had in mind, though.

Quote:
Humans exist on one tiny planet out of a possible trillions of planets, but some have an ego that is larger than the entire universe...Humans are not any more special than any other creature....
Really? I've always believed that there are many planets populated with humans (and animals) -- even if not in our solar system.

Quote:
Evidence...

3 The theory predicts that certain amounts of hydrogen, helium, and other elements should be seen. Observations have shown almost exactly the amounts that are predicted.

4 The Big Bang theory is the only one that comprehensively lays down a framework for the eventual evolution of the universe as we observe it today.
Interesting. Was this supposed to prove that God is imaginary? I see every one of your points as valid, but leading to an entirely different conclusion than you came to.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:51 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,486 times
What are the odds that the universe was created by the primitive tribal god of iron/bronze age desert goat herders?

What are the odds that an intellect capable of such a creation would have any connection with the absurd train wreck of mediocrity that is the Bible?

Answer: not a snowball's chance in hell

Old 11-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Evidence...

The evidence is what? That the Universe is doing stuff. Agreed. The thoery predicts...yes it predicts! Once again we find order, patterns predictable stuff. Not exactly the stuff of chance. Chance tends to produce randon results. Stuff that's hard to predict.

I like the Big Bang. Took a course in Astrophysics in college. I was taught that the first effect of the BB was to produce what is basically light-quarks, photons and energy.

Take a gander (I love 19th century idioms) at Genises 1:1:3 1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was formless and void*, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over thesurface of the waters. 3 Then God said, “Let there be lightâ€; and there was light. (*meaning it did not yet exist)

Now how in the heck did a bunch of "Bronze age goat hearders" figure out that the first thing produced by the BB was Light???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I would totally agree with you that it's highly unlikely that something imaginary created anything. I don't think an imaginary deity is what Mr5150 had in mind, though.

Interesting. Was this supposed to prove that God is imaginary? I see every one of your points as valid, but leading to an entirely different conclusion than you came to.
Yes, and as you mentioned despite our differences in doctrince, we both believe in a Creator and His son.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
What are the odds that the universe was created by the primitive tribal god of iron/bronze age desert goat herders?

What are the odds that an intellect capable of such a creation would have any connection with the absurd train wreck of mediocrity that is the Bible?

Nice pat (evasive) answer. Now, how-bout you address the OP.

Answer me this:
Quote:
To me the odds of the Universe coming to be (and humans existing) by chance or simply on its own are...astronomical! Can anyone explain how the universe just came to be? On its own. No outside help.
No physical evidence for chance orgins. I think the odds for God versus nontheist origins about equal for the sake of debate. 50-50.

Last edited by Mr5150; 11-13-2011 at 06:06 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 05:57 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,151,051 times
There may be life in the universe on other worlds, but there is no possibility of humans populating any planet but this one. Life elsewhere would be far different from life here.

Although I do believe that all gods have been invented by humans and as such are imaginary. The evidence that convinces me of that is this....If there truly were a god, there would be just one, not the thousands who have with the passage of time are now regarded, even by you as myths...

I was not attempting to prove anything other than that there are valid alternatives with evidence to believers statement that God dun it, for which by the way there is no evidence at all.

All you have is faith...

Archie Bunker on Faith - YouTube

Old 11-13-2011, 06:04 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post

I am an agnostic because I accept the possibility that there could be an intelligent, rational mind behind the creation of the universe, although I believe that such a mind, if it exists, has no concern with earth or humanity.

However, I am an atheist because I see no real evidence supporting the existence of such a mind, so I lack belief in it, along with all other gods.

I am a strong atheist as to the Abrahamic god . . . he absolutely does not exist.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
There may be life in the universe on other worlds, but there is no possibility of humans populating any planet but this one. Life elsewhere would be far different from life here.

Although I do believe that all gods have been invented by humans and as such are imaginary. The evidence that convinces me of that is this....If there truly were a god, there would be just one, not the thousands who have with the passage of time are now regarded, even by you as myths...

I was not attempting to prove anything other than that there are valid alternatives with evidence to believers statement that God dun it, for which by the way there is no evidence at all.

All you have is faith...

Archie Bunker on Faith - YouTube
Ah, yet another non-answer.

The real question (I can see I will have to do this more than once) is:

Answer me this:
Quote:
To me the odds of the Universe coming to be (and humans existing) by chance or simply on its own are...astronomical! Can anyone explain how the universe just came to be? On its own. No outside help.
Shall we address the question of Origins rather than alien life (of which we have no evidence). If I was interest in aliens the OP would have said as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality