Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:03 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,134,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I think your site is just a weee bit biased.

You can tell me time after time what the bible says, what it means, and like to the plethora of sites and blogs painting pretty pictures of religion.

I base my views on real world reality of the behavior and actions of followers of religion. It is certainly not all of any religion, but the numbers are large enough to be alarming and a threat to reason, freedoms and the future of mankind.

Not sure what part of the country or world you live in, but I could take you downtown here any week-end and let you witness a man filled with hate, with a bible in one hand and a megaphone in the other screaming his ignorance to the world.

I witness the hate toward others based the ignorance teaching of religion solely because of their skin color, or sexual preferences, and even what god they believe in.
Do you ever witness the hate inside yourself? Can you be introspective? Humble? Repentant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 09:26 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,239,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Reminds me of something Glenn Beck said about the 9/11 families ...

You didn't lose any family members when the towers went down, did you? I didn't, but if I had, I wouldn't have said what you just said.

Atheists really have an empathy deficit. That's why they're so hated.
No I lost no one but that was not my point. How long is the grieving process to last? How long are we to be reminded that the poor lil' USA was attacked?

How about Britain who lost more innocent lives in WWII Blitzkrieg and in Germany for that matter in frequent bombings of their cities, what about those poor innocent victims? Or are they not as not as important as US casualties? We probably talking in the millions here.

I feel no empathy there either as I was not affected, do you feel empathy there? We have memorials here to the fallen dead that fought in WWII and there are annual ceremonies attended by the military and veterans.

My atheism has nothing to do with my empathy. I am sure if I continually whined about why my devoutly xian mother who died of a horrible cancer frequently, some one would tell me to get over it?

You feel obliged to attack every opinion I have so there.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
No I lost no one but that was not my point. How long is the grieving process to last? How long are we to be reminded that the poor lil' USA was attacked?

How about Britain who lost more innocent lives in WWII Blitzkrieg and in Germany for that matter in frequent bombings of their cities, what about those poor innocent victims? Or are they not as not as important as US casualties? We probably talking in the millions here.

I feel no empathy there either as I was not affected, do you feel empathy there? We have memorials here to the fallen dead that fought in WWII and there are annual ceremonies attended by the military and veterans.

My atheism has nothing to do with my empathy. I am sure if I continually whined about why my devoutly xian mother who died of a horrible cancer frequently, some one would tell me to get over it?

You feel obliged to attack every opinion I have so there.
I'm sorry.

I was angry for a while there but it's out of my system now.

Again, I apologize for getting short with you.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:44 PM

33,638 posts, read 37,321,773 times
Quote:
China bought scrap metal from the Twin Towers after 9/11?

How symbolic.
I don't think so. Part of the steel ended up here... USS New York (LPD-21) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-14-2011, 12:51 PM

33,638 posts, read 37,321,773 times
Quote:
Reminds me of something Glenn Beck said about the 9/11 families ...

You didn't lose any family members when the towers went down, did you? I didn't, but if I had, I wouldn't have said what you just said.

Atheists really have an empathy deficit. That's why they're so hated.
Yes we know that you hate atheists, as do many like yourself, but let me illuminate something for you...For most atheist hate someone is not something we do. We may occasionally hate the actions of others, but that's it.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:14 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,239,642 times
Quote:
I'm sorry.

I was angry for a while there but it's out of my system now.

Again, I apologize for getting short with you.
Apology accepted.

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I was in another town to collect my car that was being serviced and had been picked up by a courtesy car to take us to the dealership. It was on the radio 15:00ish our time.

That evening I was up all night looking in disbelief and horror at what happened. We were crying with frequent OMG's as the buildings collapsed or as people jumped to their deaths.

Yes we cried with you, we stood with you, people really did not know what to say, it was the topic of discussion the next few days.

Then came the woo spin on TBN and all the BS they espoused ALL OF THEM.

God had judged America. I thought WTF? How can they be so unscrupulous and these were CHRISTIANS? They had not even started to clear the rubble and the woo were spinning this "media event" to suit their own SICK agenda.

I was figging angry and back then I was still a theist. I was not even affected directly.

But time moves on, anger dissipates, life goes on.

Just so you know how we felt here in South Africa on 9-11-2001.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:08 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,943,551 times
Quote:
I prefer the City-Data R&P forum to IRL discussion of these topics because it's impossible to reach out through an Internet connection and kill someone at a great distance. And that's probably the only reason any of us are still alive ... If this were a meatspace gathering, there would be a lot of bullet-holes in the wall.
Yes you are right, The religious tend to be quite violent and I know more than a few southern baptists who have quite the trigger finger. So much for "turn the other cheek" eh???

Quote:
Atheists, as I've been told, are not anti-religious. I don't understand the apparent anti-religious sentiment behind their objection to the Ground Zero cross.
It depends on the atheist. Some of them are anti-theism/religion but some of them dont care, they just want to be left alone and not have religion foisted upon them in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Nah, don't worry about it. A lot of people only express the opinions they do--particularly the ones who are obviously ranting and raving--because they're hiding behind a computer screen. If they had to confront others face to face, you wouldn't hear a peep out of 'em.
Agree

Old 12-14-2011, 06:30 PM

89,064 posts, read 85,670,613 times
Quote:
That's right, 'cause they weren't really important people anyway.

/sarcasm
No, because most everyone who knew them will be dead.

But some will remember for the history of it.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, because most everyone who knew them will be dead.

But some will remember for the history of it.
I really hope so, because we're doomed to repeat history if we forget it.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:47 PM

89,064 posts, read 85,670,613 times
Quote:
I really hope so, because we're doomed to repeat history if we forget it.
There are usually a small number of us history geeks in every generation.

As far as the WTC goes, so many of us have contributed oral histories, artifacts, writings, etc., that are now in the NYC and State museums and at the WTC Tribute Center (and will be in the future national museum at the site), that anyone with a future interest will have a lifetime of material to sift through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality