Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 02:51 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,645,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I am the way, the truth, and the life, bow down to your king. { I said I am, so I must be right?} Prove I'm not.
Well, that sounds OK. But you're going to have to come up with some holy writing first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 05:37 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,916,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Well, that sounds OK. But you're going to have to come up with some holy writing first.
No problem....I'll just type up some mumbo jumbo, virgin birth, wallk on water, that sorta thing, bury it in a cave somewhere, and a couple thousand years from now someone will find it and worship me.......

I shall name my creation...."The Lost Testament of the Great WhipperSnapper; Ruler of Men"

{ Copyright 2011, All Riights Reserved }

Old 12-11-2011, 07:31 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,781,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You really do love to twist things don't you? We were talking about the "teachings" of the Jesus character, not what the Buddha claimed or didn't claim to be. YOU introduced it when you said:

".....we ALL agree that his teachings on morality and ethics were second to none..."

Well many of those teachings about morlity and ethics were spoken by the Buddha 500 years before your Jesus. Christianity stole them.
Name them .

Old 12-11-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
And so it must be true right?.......

Guess what 007.5....... I am the way, the truth, and the life, bow down to your king. { I said I am, so I must be right?} Prove I'm not.
I shall bow down to you if you care to show me your nail pierced wrists and feet , and if you can come to life again after 3 days . (I dont have to prove you are not...you can do that with yourself ) .

Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,881,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Name them .
Jesus: If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also.
Buddha: If anyone should give you a blow with his hand, with a stick, or with a knife, you should abandon any desires and utter no evil words.

Jesus: Why do you see the speck in your neighbor’s eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbor, “Friend, let me take the speck out of your eye,†when you yourself do not see the log in your own eye? You, hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor’s eye.
Buddha: The faults of others are easier to see than one’s own; the faults of others are easily seen, for they are sifted like chaff, but one’s own faults are hard to see. This is like the cheat who hides his dice and shows the dice of his opponent, calling attention to the other’s shortcomings, continually thinking of accusing him.

Jesus: Your father in heaven makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous.
Buddha: The great cloud rains down on all whether their nature is superior or inferior. The light of the sun and the moon illuminates the whole world, both him who does well and him who does ill, both him who stands high and him who stands low.

Jesus: He said to them, “When I sent you out without a purse, bag, or sandals, did you lack anything?†They said, “No, not a thing.â€
Buddha: Then the Lord addressed the monks, saying: “I am freed from all snares. And you, monks, you are freed from all snares.â€

Jesus: The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in a field, which someone found and hid; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.
Buddha: If by giving up limited pleasures one sees far-reaching happiness, the wise one leaves aside limited pleasures, looking to far-reaching happiness.

Jesus: Those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it.
Buddha:With the relinquishing of all thought and egotism, the enlightened one is liberated through not clinging.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Jesus: If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also.
Buddha: If anyone should give you a blow with his hand, with a stick, or with a knife, you should abandon any desires and utter no evil words.

Jesus: Why do you see the speck in your neighbor’s eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbor, “Friend, let me take the speck out of your eye,†when you yourself do not see the log in your own eye? You, hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor’s eye.
Buddha: The faults of others are easier to see than one’s own; the faults of others are easily seen, for they are sifted like chaff, but one’s own faults are hard to see. This is like the cheat who hides his dice and shows the dice of his opponent, calling attention to the other’s shortcomings, continually thinking of accusing him.

Jesus: Your father in heaven makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous.
Buddha: The great cloud rains down on all whether their nature is superior or inferior. The light of the sun and the moon illuminates the whole world, both him who does well and him who does ill, both him who stands high and him who stands low.

Jesus: He said to them, “When I sent you out without a purse, bag, or sandals, did you lack anything?†They said, “No, not a thing.â€
Buddha: Then the Lord addressed the monks, saying: “I am freed from all snares. And you, monks, you are freed from all snares.â€

Jesus: The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in a field, which someone found and hid; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.
Buddha: If by giving up limited pleasures one sees far-reaching happiness, the wise one leaves aside limited pleasures, looking to far-reaching happiness.

Jesus: Those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it.
Buddha:With the relinquishing of all thought and egotism, the enlightened one is liberated through not clinging.
Provide the specific Source Info. from Buddha .

Old 12-11-2011, 10:07 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,566,202 times
Quote:
Please list a better standard of morals and ethics than what Christ taught to man . Thank you.
Let's see god and his boy believed in and practiced;
slavery
bigotry
racism
gender bias
infanticide
homophobia
and the murder of millions upon millions

Yes sir, that's quite a role model.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:32 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,881,591 times
Quote:
Provide the specific Source Info. from Buddha .
Sure! I'll go dig him up.
Try Influence of Buddhism on Primitive Christianity by Arthur Lillie

Or you can go here....

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/origen045.html

.... scroll down to the heading "Identical teachings" and see a list of the Buddha/Jesus sayings and where they can be found in the Bible and the Buddhist texts.

Last edited by Rafius; 12-11-2011 at 12:45 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Let's see god and his boy believed in and practiced;
slavery
bigotry
racism
gender bias
infanticide
homophobia
and the murder of millions upon millions

Yes sir, that's quite a role model.

You have acquired a gross misconception of Christianity by stating the above ; this site will give you the truth if you are willing and is broken down categorically Answers for Atheists and Agnostics .

Diligent Critics whove taken the time to properly examine Christ , cant find any problem with his teachings and in fact , most are readily willing to admit Christ had impeccable moral character .... which makes your list above untrue and extremely exaggerated based on your personal hostility.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Sure! I'll go dig him up.
Try Influence of Buddhism on Primitive Christianity by Arthur Lillie

Or you can go here....

Jesus as a reincarnation of Buddha

.... scroll down to the heading "Identical teachings" and see a list of the Buddha/Jesus sayings and where they can be found in the Bible and the Buddhist texts.
There are some simularities but not exact . It doesnt mean Christ 'borrowed' his teachings from Buddha however ; Christ stands alone on his teachings, impeccable moral life, and the authority in which he taught . No one else in the world at any time in history, made the specific claims about himself as Christ did / fulfilled some 200 narrow prophecies written about him hundreds of years in advance / and rose from the dead as witnessed by over 500 people over a 40 day period.

What can atheism offer by way of moral and ethical benefits ? What hope does atheism offer a suffering and hurting world , and what level of intrinsic worth and dignity does atheism offer a typical person based on an atheistic worldview incl. origins ? Be specific in your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality