Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
The only delusional one here is you. You have a habit of screwing up a every good thread time and again.

Shining the flashlight in the big hole you are digging.
Do you see black helicopters following you around?

Have you been probed by aliens?

Tell us, when did these things begin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 11:45 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Here is a search, done by Mike Heiser, on Gen.1:2 and the verb hayah to see if it fits the same clausal structure elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible.

The Naked Bible » Genesis 1:2 and the Verb HAYAH

Enjoy!

Old 05-11-2012, 05:03 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,046,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Here is a search, done by Mike Heiser, on Gen.1:2 and the verb hayah to see if it fits the same clausal structure elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible.

The Naked Bible » Genesis 1:2 and the Verb HAYAH

Enjoy!
Thanks for the link, Shiloh! Very interesting, and quite to the point, eh? Heiser's approach seems to simplify things (though it helps when you have that nice software at your disposal to search with ha ha! It's probably too rich for my blood, seeing as it's from Logos, though) concerning that verb, but I think some of the terms won't be understood by some people, unfortunately - and these are the same people holding to the "Gap Theory" in most cases.

I remember hearing of the theory in my teens and I thought that it was interesting at first, but quickly realized it was one of those theories that ranked up there with "White Europeans are actually the Nation of Israel - those other 'Jews' are the countefeit spawn of Cain" and "The Mark of Cain is the skin color of black people - see, Cain were kneeling at the time he received the Mark, and that's why his desendant's hands and feet are white" and "the Northern Lost Tribes of Israel became the Native Americans", etc. Fringe theories that hinge on the flimsiest of principles, and seem to be evidence that the theorist is actually what the name implies in this instance: someone who starts with a conclusion, and then goes out to find what he can pass off as "evidence" for his conclusion.

In a rational world, assessing the "evidence" they provide would never result in such a conclusion; but since they are starting from their "theory", their "evidence" is compelling to them alone, and does not need to be as conclusive to others as it is usually required to be - as long as it appears to be conclusive evidence backing up the original "theory".

Old 05-11-2012, 05:59 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Thanks for the link, Shiloh! Very interesting, and quite to the point, eh? Heiser's approach seems to simplify things (though it helps when you have that nice software at your disposal to search with ha ha! It's probably too rich for my blood, seeing as it's from Logos, though) concerning that verb, but I think some of the terms won't be understood by some people, unfortunately - and these are the same people holding to the "Gap Theory" in most cases.

I remember hearing of the theory in my teens and I thought that it was interesting at first, but quickly realized it was one of those theories that ranked up there with "White Europeans are actually the Nation of Israel - those other 'Jews' are the countefeit spawn of Cain" and "The Mark of Cain is the skin color of black people - see, Cain were kneeling at the time he received the Mark, and that's why his desendant's hands and feet are white" and "the Northern Lost Tribes of Israel became the Native Americans", etc. Fringe theories that hinge on the flimsiest of principles, and seem to be evidence that the theorist is actually what the name implies in this instance: someone who starts with a conclusion, and then goes out to find what he can pass off as "evidence" for his conclusion.

In a rational world, assessing the "evidence" they provide would never result in such a conclusion; but since they are starting from their "theory", their "evidence" is compelling to them alone, and does not need to be as conclusive to others as it is usually required to be - as long as it appears to be conclusive evidence backing up the original "theory".
Heh! Heh! Kneeling at the time of the mark - that's funny. Regarding the software the visual structure of the clauses is a nice feature - you can do all sorts of nifty stuff with it - and yeah it is somewhat of a pinch to the wallet. I got a discount on it when I was attending a Seminary (not a full time student) to take some Greek Classes - and that does not mean I am expert.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:04 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,258,036 times
Without getting into word definitions,literary terms and myth comparisons....I would like to talk about the central theme, topic of what the book of genesis entails.

First, i am not a very articulate in my use of words so bare with me.

What I see, as a Christian believer, is the foundation for creation of the intelligent creature...Man.

The establishment, the preface, if you will, the order by which mankind was to arrive and the presentation of He who created it all.

It is done in a rather simple manner of explanation, as a male and female in a garden.

Garden being indicative of a place where something is planted and where multiplication takes place.
Where one generation plants and out it a new generation starts to an never ending cycle.

The explanation of: figuratively speaking, the tree,(Knowledge of good and evil) the serpent, the eating of the fruit and the with holding of the tree (Tree of life) are all in agreement with the condition for which mankind found itself in.

No fault of mankind for what is termed disobedience, for the resultant product of the marriage between heaven and earth resulted in an offspring....mankind...or Adam.

The ability to intelligently make decisions/judgments between two extremes (Good and Evil) was a God given ability.

The quote "the man has become as like one of us" Gen 3:22 sealed the offspring's death sentence.

For there can and could not exist two Gods, save the Almighty; for the one must die.

Your thinking.....why create when it is condemned to die right?

There could be no creation otherwise. The remedy to that is the one tree (figuratively speaking) that was withheld reintroduced to mankind in the form of a man but with power to recreate by reason of atonement.

That happening at a predetermined date in the history of mankind suitable for its full implementation and effectiveness.

That is the main theme, the focus of all there is.

The rest of the bible is an explanation of the short comings of human nature and in need of spiritual guidance.
Enter in all the myths, the man made gods with all the stories of warring in the heavens between the gods as total chaos.

As if the Almighty Creator had no control over His own creation (cosmos)that evil ran rampart and resultants were such as humanity.

Well,....any explanation can be derived to meet any desired vision of what it all means, but definitely, Geneises is a book of beginnings of which my gatherings give me a satifaction of a vision consitent with the whole of the bible, its theme and its final outcome as being the very best explanation that hope can give.

Blessings, AJ

Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
I -just to give my 2c worth, see it as an attempt to write a preface to God as tribal God of Judaism. It has a god that is not as ineffable as He later became and he clearly has limitations. He has to put out a general alert:

'Calling Adam, calling Adam, will he report to the booking office please?'

When he turns up, God looks at him.

'Just what have you got on?'

'Well, God, it's made out of fig -leaves sewed together. The fig leaves were no problem, but working out how to sew them together was a bugger. We tried resin, but it kept sticking to our...sorry.' He sees God staring at him.

'Who told thee that thou wast naked?'

'Well, the wife, see, she suddenly looks at me and says " You hain't go no cloe's on."

'And how did she suddenly know?' (you see what I mean about God having limitations?)

'Well, there was this lizard (1), see..'

(1) Before the fall, there were no legless lizards. Afterwards, this one had its legs removed and it's offspring ever after were called snake. Aren't you creationists glad I'm here to explain all this to you?

Old 05-28-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I -just to give my 2c worth, see it as an attempt to write a preface to God as tribal God of Judaism. It has a god that is not as ineffable as He later became and he clearly has limitations. He has to put out a general alert:

'Calling Adam, calling Adam, will he report to the booking office please?'

When he turns up, God looks at him.

'Just what have you got on?'

'Well, God, it's made out of fig -leaves sewed together. The fig leaves were no problem, but working out how to sew them together was a bugger. We tried resin, but it kept sticking to our...sorry.' He sees God staring at him.

'Who told thee that thou wast naked?'

'Well, the wife, see, she suddenly looks at me and says " You hain't go no cloe's on."

'And how did she suddenly know?' (you see what I mean about God having limitations?)

'Well, there was this lizard (1), see..'

(1) Before the fall, there were no legless lizards. Afterwards, this one had its legs removed and it's offspring ever after were called snake. Aren't you creationists glad I'm here to explain all this to you?

I'm glad you find it amusing.

No further comment warranted.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
I'm glad you find it amusing.

No further comment warranted.
I'm semi-amazed that anyone could actually take umbrage at that bit of Genesis whimsy.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm semi-amazed that anyone could actually take umbrage at that bit of Genesis whimsy.
I take the bible and all it's contents in a serious manner.

Not knowing its true character is not having understanding IMO, and thus forgivable even in jest.

The topic is about the beginning of life, not only of the flesh but of the spirit side as well, found in the book of Genesis.

Suffering and pain are key parts of its make up as well as joy, happiness and laughter.

For many, the latter three are wanting.... for the former two.

So forgive me if I'm ah-bit bothered by the light jesting.

Blessings, AJ

Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,247 times
There is an excellent vid, What if Adam and Eve never ate the fruit.

It kinda puts in perspective how ridiculous the story is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_a6RjR_AHY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality